Author Topic: THE... OFFICIAL 2015 NFL SEASON Thread  (Read 27930 times)

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: THE... OFFICIAL 2015 NFL SEASON Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »
Vince Wilfork says he’s joining Texans

March 16, 2015, 3:36 PM EDT
AP

When Vince Wilfork became a free agent last week, it wasn’t long before speculation about his next home being in Houston started.

That speculation can come to an end because we now know that Wilfork will be joining the Texans. Wilfork broke the news on his Twitter account on Monday afternoon.

“This has been an interesting process for me and my family, one we have taken very seriously and given a lot of thought. We want to thank the Kraft family and entire Patriot organization for the last 11 years, however we will be starting a new chapter in our lives as Houston Texans. The coaching staff in Houston has made this exciting new transition feel like home to us. We will forever be Patriots in our hearts, thank you everyone for everything.”

The same reasons why speculation landed on Houston probably help it feel like home for Wilfork. There are plenty of former members of the Patriots organization on the staff in Houston, including coach Bill O’Brien and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, and his role as the plug in the middle of the defensive line should be the same as it has been in New England throughout his career.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »
5 places Philip Rivers could play if he bolts the Chargers

NFL
March 18, 2015 11:50 am ET

Could Rivers leave San Diego?

It's not getting nearly enough play, but it might be the most stunning news of the NFL offseason cycle: Philip Rivers is worried the Chargers will move to Los Angeles so he's going to play out his deal and figure out another option if the franchise ends up moving.

Rivers' willingness to ditch the only franchise he's ever played for and flat-out refusing to play in LA would be a fairly unprecedented move.

The best part of all this is the idea of Rivers — a Southern man to his core — being so disgusted at the thought of living in Los Angeles he's willing to call off contract talks with the only team he's ever played for and figure something else out.

“Hey, Phil! What's your favorite part about driving down the 405?”

Rivers cited not wanting to move his family as the issue with LA but, uh, what does he think is happening if he plays somewhere else? In other words, this Los Angeles hatred might be legit.

A couple things to remember here. One, the Chargers have the franchise tag to use. Two, Rivers could simply be making a power play with San Diego ownership. In both cases it behooves everyone to remember Rivers is a pretty stubborn dude. Would he hold out if he's tagged? Sure, why not. And it would be expensive for the Chargers too (north of $20 million for just 2016).

Three, Ben Roethlisberger just got a $100 million contract from the Steelers. He and Rivers, despite the Super Bowl ring differential, are in the same financial class. Rivers will turn 34 but he will command a massive contract when his current deal runs up.

So let's at least consider a few potential landing spots, operating under the assumption that geography matters (the Rams would fit but we'll rule them out because L.A.), but getting a chance to win a Super Bowl trumps everything. Except Los Angeles.

We're assuming too that the Chargers actually move in this scenario. Hopefully that's obvious.

1. Philadelphia Eagles — You think Sam Bradford is a good theoretical fit for Chip Kelly's offense? Rivers would light up the NFL if he was placed in Kelly's system. Despite his unconventional mechanics, Rivers has as quick a release as there is in the NFL and last year was the most accurate quarterback in the NFL with less than 2.5 seconds to work in the NFL (76.6 percent according to Pro Football Focus; he had the 15th-most drop backs in the league). Rivers is one of the most cerebral quarterbacks in the league, an excellent deep-ball passer and fully capable of working with less than the highest-end weapons. Yes it would be weird for someone from Decatur, Alabama to choose Philly after refusing to play in LA. No offense to cheesesteaks.

2. Buffalo Bills — Trying to topple Tom Brady isn't the easiest thing in the world, but the Bills need a quarterback and were close to a playoff team in 2014 with Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel. Buffalo has an excellent defense that includes not one but TWO of Rivers college teammates, Mario Williams and Manny Lawson. (They also once drafted John McCargo in the first round. Never forget.) Rex Ryan and Rivers talking on the sideline is a dream come true for television networks and GIF makers around the world. LeSean McCoy is the perfect back to pair with Rivers and Buffalo re-worked Shady's deal so there's some cap room coming free after 2016, which would help with signing a high-end quarterback. This feels like a surprisingly viable alternative honestly. Seven children makes shoveling the driveway a lot easier. Put ‘em to work, Phil!

3. Houston Texans — Also in need of a quarterback, Houston has a strong running game with Arian Foster, DeAndre Hopkins in the passing game and a J.J. Watt-led defense that will be good for as long as Watt is bench-pressing cars in a cabin in the woods. He and Rivers could even hang out there in the offseason, grow beards and kill bears. The AFC South is getting better and dealing with Andrew Luck is no fun, but adding Rivers to the Texans would make them a big-time Super Bowl contender immediately. It's a two-hour flight to Decatur from Houston.

4. Tennessee Titans — The Titans can say whatever they want about Zach Mettenberger but they need a quarterback. Ken Whisenhunt and Rivers would go together like spaghetti and meatball in terms of style, attitude and general intensity. We know they work too, because Whisenhunt did such an excellent job as Rivers offensive coordinator that he landed the Titans job in the first place. Assuming they add Leonard Williams (and not Marcus Mariota) in this draft, the defense is suddenly starting to take shape. Rivers to Tennessee would arguably flip this division on its head; the Titans with Rivers next year would be my pick to win the AFC South over the Colts. That's how dramatic a turnaround a quarterback like Rivers can make.

5. Washington Redskins — Doesn't really feel like something that could work but Dan Snyder is known for making big, splashy moves. This would be bold and Washington feels like a viable team to trade a high pick or 20 in exchange for Rivers if the Chargers want to try and make that happen. Scot McCloughan's presence as GM severely mitigates the possibility though, given his penchant for building through the draft. We're talking a top-five or top-10 NFL quarterback here. It alters your franchise. The Redskins badly need a quarterback. They have weapons in DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon and a high-end left tackle in Trent Williams. Washington is in the south, kind of.

One hilariously ironic bonus possibility? How about the SAINTS. They're clearly willing to rebuild and what a ridiculous story it would be if Rivers replaced Drew Brees again. Unlikely given Brees isn't that much older than Rivers. But some food for thought.

My bet would be Rivers sticking with the Chargers, mainly because moving a family of seven sounds worse than having your eyes stapled open and being forced to watch a 48-hour "Doc McStuffins" marathon.

If he's that unwilling to play in LA? Can't rule anything out.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
Report: Bucs out of running, Greg Hardy likely to Cowboys

CBSSports.com

Wed, 18 Mar 2015 1:43 PM ET

The Buccaneers have lost interest in free agent defensive end Greg Hardy, so "he'll apparently be a Cowboy," reports Pro Football Talk. Hardy was visiting the Cowboys on Wednesday.

Hardy, 26, is seeking more than $6 million in 2015 pay, according to CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora. Hardy had 26 sacks in the 2012 and 2013 seasons for the Panthers before spending most of last season on the exempt list due to a domestic violence case. He's expected to receive a league suspension.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 01:51:21 PM »
Rams owner's NFL stadium proposal for Los Angeles would house 2 teams

AP
MAR 22, 2015 4:16p ET

LOS ANGELES -- An NFL team owner has designed a Los Angeles-area stadium for two clubs -- with two home locker rooms, identical sets of office space and two owners' suites.

St. Louis Rams' owner Stan Kroenke doesn't need to partner with a second team to finance the $1.86-billion venue in Inglewood, but the league considers Los Angeles a two-team market and wants a stadium that could accommodate both, according to the Los Angeles Times.

His plan competes with one by the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders, who want to share a stadium in Carson.

Kroenke hasn't said he plans to move the Rams, but analysts doubt he would invest in a stadium and not use it for his team.

The Times reported details of the stadium's design as league owners prepared to gather Monday in Phoenix and shortly after the Chargers and Raiders offered their rival plan. Any franchise would need the support of three-quarters of the league's 32 owners to move to the nation's second-largest market, which hasn't had an NFL franchise since 1994.

Renderings for the privately funded venue show a light metallic, wave-shaped structure featuring a roof that encompasses the stadium and a surrounding plaza. The roof has metal borders, but the area over the playing field is made of a transparent material called ETFE, which is as clear as a car windshield and strong enough to support the weight of a vehicle.

While the roof of the stadium would be 275 feet above the playing field, the building would be set into the ground, giving it an above-ground profile of 175 feet, lower than most enclosed stadiums. The proposed venue conforms to the height restrictions imposed on buildings within close proximity to Los Angeles International Airport.

The Times said the roof gives Kroenke the ability to create a billboard visible to more than 35 million travelers who fly in and out of Los Angeles each year.

Loading docks, mechanical yards and other infrastructure would be below ground and accessible via tunnels located near the stadium. Counting the underground and surface parking, 9,000 spaces would be dedicated to the stadium alone, with others in the nearby office and retail buildings.

HKS, Kroenke's architectural firm and the designer of stadiums for the Dallas Cowboys and Indianapolis Colts, estimates the project would take fewer than three years to build.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 06:12:49 AM »
Jets file tampering charge against Patriots over Revis

NFL.com
    Published: March 25, 2015 at 01:19 a.m.
    Updated: March 25, 2015 at 02:57 a.m.

The New York Jets and New England Patriots continue to battle off the field, with cornerback Darrelle Revis in the middle of it all.

The Jets filed tampering charges against Patriots owner Robert Kraft for Monday's comments referencing Revis, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported according to a source informed of the Jets' plans. NFL spokesman Michael Signora declined comment Tuesday when contacted by NFL Media. ProFootballTalk first reported the story.

There are now dueling charges between the AFC East rivals because of comments about Revis. The Patriots filed a tampering charge against Jets owner Woody Johnson, who stated in a late December press conference that he would "love for Darrelle to come back" to New York. Johnson later said he "misspoke" and called Kraft to emphasize he would "never interfere in the contractual relationship of a player with another team."

In the ensuing months, Revis won a Super Bowl ring and received the guaranteed money he always dreamed of with the Jets. Kraft spoke Monday about the organization being "sorry" that Revis left town.

"We thought we made a very competitive offer, and I speak as a fan of the New England Patriots, we wanted to keep him, we wanted him in our system. And we have certain disciplines. We had hoped it worked out. It didn't," Kraft said from the NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix. "He's a great player. The fan in me wishes he were still with us."

The league's tampering policy prevents "any interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce a person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL."

The Patriots' initial tampering charges remain pending.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 02:10:41 PM »
Panthers sign WR Boykin, claim OT Martin

Carolina Panthers News
Posted 3 hours ago

CHARLOTTE – The Panthers have signed free agent wide receiver Jarrett Boykin to a one-year contract.

Boykin, who starred at Butler High School in Charlotte and then at Virginia Tech, spent the first three years of his career with the Green Bay Packers after joining the team as an undrafted free agent.

"It means a lot being from the area and having the opportunity to come back and get a chance to play for the Panthers," Boykin said. "But at the end of the day, it still boils down to how I go about my business on the field. I have to prove myself all over again."

After posting five catches for 27 yards as a rookie, Boykin had a breakthrough season in 2013. He played in all 16 games with 10 starts, recording 49 catches, 681 yards and three touchdowns.

The 6-foot-2, 218-pound wide receiver wasn't able to replicate that production in 2014. Davante Adams, Green Bay's second-round draft choice in the 2014 draft, emerged as the Packers' third wide receiver. Boykin played in 13 games with three starts, recording three catches for 23 yards in addition to making contributions on all four phases of special teams. He missed three games with a groin injury.

"I'm grateful for the opportunity the Panthers are giving me. I'm going to come in here and bust my tail," Boykin said. "I'm trying to re-establish my identity and get back to being the player I know I can be."

TACKLE CLAIMED: The Panthers claimed offensive tackle Jonathan Martin off waivers from the San Francisco 49ers.

Martin has started 32 of 38 games played in three seasons with the Miami Dolphins (2012-13) and San Francisco 49ers (2014), seeing action at left and right tackle. In 2014, Martin played in 15 games with nine starts at right tackle for San Francisco.

"Our goal is to build the strongest roster possible and add competition at every position," general manager Dave Gettleman said. "Jonathan brings quality experience to our offensive line, having started 32 games in his career at both tackle spots."
So let's refresh a bit here..
Martin was the bullied Dolphin a couple years back, bullied by Incognito who is now a member of the Bills.. Alrightythen :o

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »
This is kind of surprising.. :o
No word on Wes Welker as March comes to a close

NBC Sports
March 31, 2015, 5:07 AM EDT

Free agency dominates the month of March in the NFL, and by the end of the month, if a player hasn’t signed with anyone, that’s usually a pretty good indication that the player isn’t drawing much interest.

In the case of Wes Welker, there’s been no talk at all about any team trying to sign him. A recent Denver Post report saying it would be a surprise if the Broncos brought him back is just about the only thing anyone has said about him since free agency started.

It’s not hard to see why there’s not a lot of interest in Welker: He turns 34 years old this year and his production has steadily declined, from 1,569 receiving yards in 2011 to 1,354 yards in 2012 to 778 yards in 2013 to 464 yards in 2014. Last year he averaged a career-low 9.5 yards a catch.

Welker was once among the best receivers in the NFL. He led the league in catches three times and was a first-team All-Pro twice. In his six seasons with the Patriots, he topped 110 catches in five of them, falling short only in 2010, when he was recovering from a torn ACL.

But those days are long past. Now Welker is aging, and NFL teams aren’t showing interest. Perhaps he’ll sign with some team for a low-priced deal, or perhaps he’ll decide to take the lack of interest as a hint that it’s time to retire.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 08:58:43 PM »
I have to agree here..

Kid scribe says Cam Newton should be benched

NFL.com

Published: March 31, 2015 at 03:00 a.m.
    Updated: March 31, 2015 at 08:10 p.m.

Of the many reasons I'm happy I didn't have the internet around while growing up: my epic sports takes. The majority of my creative writing in elementary school included poems about Rod Carew's inability to drive in runs, and slams on the Los Angeles Raiders. (In other words, not much has changed.)

But thankfully, the only audience for those rantings was my parents, my best friend Matt and my teachers like Mr. Hale. The same could not be said for this intrepid sports reporter who offered this editorial on Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.

And now the whole internet is celebrating this kid. As they should. I love this kid. He or she has already offered more insight than you would find in a Stephen A. Smith piece. I like how he or she started this story with the generalization the Panthers have some good players, before finally realizing, the Panthers aren't that good at all. Genius.

I'm now just keeping the seat warm for this kid who will no doubt be taking over for me some day. (Don't sound too excited about that, either.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:00:58 PM by RVR II »

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 11:27:51 AM »
Report: Browns 90 percent moved on from Johnny Manziel

CBSSports.com
April 2, 2015 1:23 pm ET

Less than a year ago, a text message from Johnny Manziel (and perhaps some advice from a homeless man) convinced the Browns and owner Jimmy Haslam to trade up to No. 22 and take the Texas A&M quarterback.

Now the Browns are reportedly prepared for life after Manziel, who struggled in five games as a rookie and entered a rehab program earlier this year.

"I think about 90 percent [the Browns] have moved on [from Manziel] in their own minds except that they really don't know who they're going to get when Johnny leaves rehab, which has been an extended stay -- a two-month stay," ESPN's Chris Mortensen said Tuesday during an appearance on Mike & Mike, via NJ.com. "He should be getting out in the first week of April if they're satisfied that he's ready to go out and get into society and whatever deep-rooted problems that he had has been addressed. OK, now he's part of your depth chart. You have Josh McCown."

Ah yes, McCown, the journeyman quarterback the Browns signed last month, presumably to mentor Manziel. Except that, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, McCown could be the bridge quarterback to whoever the team targets as its next face of the franchise -- and that could be decided in the coming weeks.

"I think the Browns are fully prepared to start McCown this year, but they will continue to look for chances to upgrade the position," Cabot wrote over the weekend. "I think they'll try to trade up to draft Marcus Mariota, and I also think they could make another run at Sam Bradford on draft day."

What a cluster.

The Eagles traded for Sam Bradford in March, but the Browns were willing to give up a first-rounder for Bradford, the top pick in the 2010 draft who battled injuries for much of his time in St. Louis. And it sounds like Cleveland could still be in the Bradford business if they miss out on Mariota.

More from Cabot: "If [the Browns] don't land one of those two, I do think McCown will be their man in 2015. They are also big on Connor Shaw, who could start games for them this season if necessary. As for Manziel, they'll see what happens when he gets out of rehab soon. At this point, I don't think they can get much in a trade. Maybe Jerry Jones is still interested."

My God. We're having a conversation about Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' perceived incompetence getting the Browns out of a jam. We say "perceived" because the Cowboys won the NFC East and a playoff game last season. And more importantly, we're convinced that Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones, Jerry's son, isn't easily distracted by shiny objects.

Of course, all this could have been avoided if the Browns took the advice of the $100,000 study they commissioned that concluded Teddy Bridgewater would be a better NFL quarterback than Manziel.

There is good news, however: Everyone seems to love those new Browns uniforms.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:30:27 AM by RVR II »

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 05:31:18 PM »
I'll bet Chicago would like a do-over..
6 years ago today, Jay Cutler was traded from the Denver Broncos to the Chicago Bears.

Cutler with Denver:
17-20, 0 playoff appearances

Denver since Cutler trade:
58-38, 4 playoff appearances

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
Cool! :o
Panthers sign CB Tillman

Panther Nation
Posted 7 minutes ago

CHARLOTTE – The Panthers have signed two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Tillman to a one-year contract.
"Charles brings veteran leadership and experience and has familiarity with both (head coach) Ron (Rivera) and (assistant head coach/secondary) Steve (Wilks)," general manager Dave Gettleman said. "He is a high-character player that we are excited to add to our team."

Tillman spent all 12 years of his career with the Chicago Bears, who drafted him in the second round from Louisiana Lafayette in 2003. He has started 152 of 156 games played, but an injured right triceps limited him to 10 games played over the last two seasons, including just two in 2014.

Selected to the Pro Bowl in 2011 and 2012, he has recorded 961 tackles, 36 interceptions, 113 passes defensed and 42 forced fumbles, which are the most in the NFL since 2003. Tillman has scored nine defensive touchdowns in his career.

The veteran cornerback cited a reunion with former coaches as a primary reason for joining the Panthers. Rivera was the Bears' defensive coordinator from 2004-06, and Wilks was the Bears' defensive backs coach from 2006-08.

"I think Coach Rivera was one of the main reasons why I wanted to be here," Tillman said. "He's a guy that I had a lot of respect for when I was in Chicago. I love his leadership and his qualities as a coach, and he's done a good job with the Panthers. There's a good group of guys here like Thomas Davis, Greg Olsen, Luke Kuechly and Cam Newton. I got a good vibe here.

"This is a similar defense, and Steve Wilks and (defensive line coach) Eric Washington were also in Chicago, so there is familiarity."

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 08:11:27 AM »
Former Patriots star Aaron Hernandez found guilty of first-degree murder

Published April 15, 2015
Fox News Latino

FALL RIVER, Mass. –  After seven days of deliberations, a Massachusetts jury found former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez guilty of first-degree murder on Wednesday.

The jury convicted the former rising star of killing Odin Lloyd on June 17, 2013 after shooting him six times in an industrial park less than a mile from Hernandez's home. At the time, Lloyd was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee.

At the time, Hernandez had a $40 million contract with the Patriots.

Hernandez's lawyer acknowledged during closing arguments that he was there when Lloyd was killed. But he pinned the shooting on Hernandez's two friends, saying his client was a 23-year-old kid who didn't know what to do.

Prosecutors said Hernandez planned the killing and then helped cover it up.

The conviction carries a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Hernandez, 25, looked to his right and pursed his lips after the jury forewoman read the verdict. Hernandez's mother, Terri, and his fiancee, Shayanna Jenkins, cried and gasped when they heard the verdict. Shayanna Jenkins wept on his mother's shoulder. Hernandez later mouthed to them: "Be strong. Be strong."

The former football pro was also found guilty on firearm and ammunition charges.

After the murder, police almost immediately zeroed in on Hernandez because they found in Lloyd's pocket the key to a car the NFL player had rented. Within hours of Hernandez's arrest, the Patriots cut the former Pro Bowl athlete, who was considered one of the top tight ends in the game.

Prosecutors presented a wealth of evidence that Hernandez was with Lloyd at the time he was killed, including home security video from Hernandez's mansion, witness testimony and cellphone records that tracked Lloyd's movements.

Hernandez's lawyer, James Sultan, acknowledged for the first time during closing arguments that Hernandez was there when Lloyd was killed.

But the attorney pinned the shooting on two of Hernandez's friends, Ernest Wallace and Carlos Ortiz, saying his client was a "23-year-old kid" who witnessed a shocking crime and didn't know what to do. Wallace and Ortiz will stand trial later.

Prosecutors have suggested Lloyd may have been killed because he knew too much about Hernandez's alleged involvement in a deadly 2012 drive-by shooting in Boston. But they were not allowed to tell the jury that because the judge said it was speculation.

As a result, they never offered a motive beyond saying Hernandez appeared angry with Lloyd at a nightclub two nights before the killing.

Hernandez faces further legal trouble: He is awaiting trial on murder charges in the drive-by shooting. He is accused of gunning down two men over a spilled drink at a nightclub.

In the Lloyd killing, the defense argued that investigators fixated on Hernandez because of his celebrity and conducted a shoddy investigation in their zeal to confirm their suspicions.

Prosecutors said Hernandez organized the killing, summoned his two friends to help carry it out, and drove Lloyd and the others to the secluded spot in the industrial park. During closing arguments, prosecutors also accused Hernandez of pulling the trigger, though under the law it was not necessary to prove who fired the shots to convict him.

Security video from inside Hernandez's home showed him holding what appeared to be a gun less than 10 minutes after Lloyd was killed. The surveillance system also captured Hernandez, Wallace and Ortiz relaxing at his home hours after Lloyd was shot, hanging out in the basement "man cave," lounging by the pool and cuddling Hernandez's baby daughter.

Hernandez was an All-American out of the University of Florida who was drafted by the Patriots in the fourth round in 2010.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2015, 02:58:34 PM »
Would Seahawks let Russell Wilson walk? GM hints that it's possible

CBSSports.com
April 16, 2015 5:11 pm ET

Negotiations to extend Russell Wilson's contract in Seattle have gotten off to a slow start and thanks to recent comments made by Seahawks general manager John Schneider, you probably shouldn't expect negotiations to speed up anytime soon.

During an interview with KIRO radio in Seatte on Wednesday, Schneider hinted that the team might be willing to move on from Wilson if his asking price is too high.

"Every negotiation is unique in and of itself and this is no different," Schneider said. "Ultimate team sport, he's our quarterback, we'd love him to be our quarterback. But the thing is, we need to keep as many of these guys together as we possibly can."

The last part of that quote is the most interesting part because it sounds a lot like Schneider is insinuating that the Seahawks would be willing to move on from Wilson if negotiations continue to go nowhere.

Fans in Seattle who heard the interview with Schneider seemed to think it was a little strange that he would even hint that the Seahawks might not keep Wilson.

As if that first comment from Schneider wasn't enough, he went on to talk about how there have been a few times during his five-year tenure in Seattle where he had to get rid of a veteran for financial reasons.

"When we got here [in January 2010] we had to make some very tough cap decisions with Cory Redding and Nate Burleson," Schneider said. "They were two guys that we had a lot of respect for, but where we were on our cap at the time, we had to make decisions. And then we had a couple years without a cap and now we're back in a world with a salary cap and we need to be cognizant of that."

Schneider also added that if the team wants to stay successful, they have to make smart decisions. "We have to be able to protect ourselves as we go and make smart decisions in trying to keep this whole thing together as long as we possibly can," Schneider said.

Wilson is headed into the final year of his rookie deal and is scheduled to make $1.542 million in base salary in 2015. Schneider sounds like a general manager who has no plans of paying his quarterback $25 million a year, which could very well be Wilson's asking price.

So does this mean the Seahawks are going to let Wilson walk? Not necessarily, but it's probably not going to help negotiations when Wilson hears Schneider's comments because Schneider's comments make Wilson sound expendable.

CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported in February that he didn't expect a Wilson deal to get done anytime soon. Then in March, La Canfora added that he wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson play out his rookie deal, which expires at the end of the 2015 season -- And as of right now, La Canfora looks to be spot on.

There's no question that Schneider and the Seahawks want to keep Wilson, however, Scheider definitely made it sound like they're not going to break the bank for their 26-year-old quarterback.

"What I can tell you is that this is the ultimate team sport, we have a track record of rewarding our players that we recognize as core players," Schneider said. "We're going into our sixth draft now -- I can't believe that; we've been here for a while now -- but just that track record of being able to make those tough decisions."

Letting Wilson walk would definitely qualify as a tough decision.

The guess here is that the team has a number budgeted for Wilson's new deal and they're not willing to go too much over that. If Wilson's not willing to meet them near whatever that magic number is, then it's possible he could be playing somewhere else before he's 30.

The good news for Seahawks fans is that Wilson isn't going anywhere in 2015 and he's likely not going anywhere in 2016 because the Seahawks can simply hit him with the franchise tag. It's after the 2016 season where things would potentially get interesting.

Another thing that could throw a wrench in negotiations is Wilson's public comments about wanting to play baseball.

During an interview on April's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, Wilson said he was still giving serious consideration to playing baseball.

"You never want to kill the dream of playing two sports," Wilson said. "I would honestly play two sports."

It's possible that Wilson made the comments so he could use them as leverage in negotiations. For instance, Wilson could tell the Seahawks, "If you guys won't pay me, I'll go play baseball."

Schneider didn't completely shut down the idea of Wilson playing baseball, but he didn't sound too enthusiastic about it, either.

"Based on the position that he plays in football, I think it would be difficult," Schneider said. "But the way he attacks everything, I don't think you could put anything past him."

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 04:13:03 PM »
Here we go again..
Tim Tebow to sign with Philadelphia Eagles

Around the NFL
    Published: April 19, 2015 at 06:57 p.m.
    Updated: April 19, 2015 at 07:08 p.m.

Tim Tebow's workout with the Philadelphia Eagles last month will lead to another chance for the quarterback.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday that the Eagles are planning to bring in Tebow on Monday and sign him as they begin their offseason program. FOX Sports' Jay Glazer first reported the news.

Tebow will join an Eagles' quarterback room that includes Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley and G.J. Kinne.

Coach Chip Kelly told NFL Media's Steve Wyche last month that he's "always been a fan of Tim." Now the coach will get a longer, closer look at the quarterback.

Tebow hasn't thrown a touchdown pass since 2011, when he led the Denver Broncos to a playoff victory. The 27-year-old spent 2012 with the New York Jets in a disastrous pairing with Sanchez, who was Gang Green's starting signal caller at the time. Tebow spent training camp with the New England Patriots in 2013.

The quarterback spent last fall working as a football analyst for ESPN's SEC Network, but he never gave up on getting another chance at the NFL.

The Boston Globe reported that Tebow spent the past two years working with Tom House, Tom Brady's personal quarterback coach. Per House, Tebow "went from being a little inaccurate and didn't throw a whole lot of spirals, to throwing very accurate and real good at spinning the ball."

With Bradford still rehabbing from another ACL tear, the Eagles signing Tebow could be merely a move to add a fourth quarterback arm for offseason work. From there it's Tebow's job to display his improvements as a passer and leapfrog the other signal-callers on the roster.

As this entire offseason has displayed, only Chip Kelly knows his true plans.