login

Author Topic: Yannow... the jedi in the prequels suck!  (Read 20961 times)

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
Re: Yannow... the jedi in the prequels suck!
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 07:49:37 PM »
How could I ever?  ;D

I'm neutral toward the first three. Not the best movies in history, but not the worst by a long shot. They're a little simple for my tastes, but I'd rather watch them than, say, 300.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2007, 07:54:18 PM »
How could I ever?  ;D

I'm neutral toward the first three. Not the best movies in history, but not the worst by a long shot. They're a little simple for my tastes, but I'd rather watch them than, say, 300.

*fumes*  OMG!!  Don't even start with me, Viking-Boy!!!!  LOL!!!  Eh, what are ya gonna do, I love 300 but... you know... what the hell?  There's no accounting for taste, like my sainted Irish mother used to say-- just before she downed a bottle of pills and beat the crap out of me.  Ah... memories...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2007, 06:40:35 AM »
My most horrific moment in Star Wars is the droid torture scene on Jabba's sail barge in "Return of the Jedi".  Why in the hell would you have to torture a driod?  You just reprogram it if it fails you, right?  I mean, when my toaster burns the bread I don't beat it with a wooden spoon, I just turn the damn dial.

Well, from my earliest readings of how droids are "programmed" I had understood that human-cyborg relations meant that the droids had "feelings" -- artificial or whatever.... But to agree with you -- Lucas ruined that idea in the prequels with the whole "droids can't think for themselves" nonsense....

Yeah, the movies never did do the Force justice. The books and games, though, have fleshed it out quite a bit and since I've read and played just about all things Lucas that have ever been made, I tend to have a little more information than the normal movie watcher .

Lucas ruined all the Expanded Universe wonderment when he decided on midichlorian bs.... I like the video game idea of Mana -- a sort of inner energy level that responds to the stress you're going through etc... and once you use some of your mana to perform a force task, it takes a while for you to mentally and spiritually build it back up. I was hoping that MANA would be the explanation for how jedi respond to the Force, but nope...midichlorian germs are the real deal....
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »
Lucas ruined all the Expanded Universe wonderment when he decided on midichlorian bs.... I like the video game idea of Mana -- a sort of inner energy level that responds to the stress you're going through etc... and once you use some of your mana to perform a force task, it takes a while for you to mentally and spiritually build it back up. I was hoping that MANA would be the explanation for how jedi respond to the Force, but nope...midichlorian germs are the real deal....

I guess thats what you get when real 'geeks' take the time to write things for a video game when compared to a wanna-be geek who needs to make something up on the fly to get in in a movie script.

And thats just it right there: get 'er done quick. I mean, because so much of the movies are CGI, I get the impression that he wanted to get these things over and done and cash in.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2007, 08:09:56 AM »
And thats just it right there: get 'er done quick. I mean, because so much of the movies are CGI, I get the impression that he wanted to get these things over and done and cash in.

Truer than most realize -- He openly said in interviews that the Star Wars movies were solely made to fund for future projects.

What I don't get is why Lucas would allow teams of creative minds get together and create more and more expansions of his universe, and then NOT use the brilliant material they came up with come filming time... you'd think having so much stuff already deliberated upon and decided (and also all of the EU material was checked and approved by Lucas himself) that that material wouldn't be ignored in the films. I mean, at it's basest level, ignoring said material is just costly and time-consuming...

As someone said before, Lucas is brilliant at creating an overall concept or idea, but the directing and script-writing, and even the novels, would have probably been more satisfying to the masses had they been given to abler hands. The novels already /have/ been given to other people, and they are probably now thinking "what the hell? -- George just made my certified expansion completely invalid?!?!"
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Janitor

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2007, 05:38:14 PM »
I can't write a bunch. I guess I'm Bi Dimensional. I like Kirk. I like Skywalker. What's the difference? Money. Who produced much of the first and second season of Star Trek TOS? A man named John Merideth Lucas. Coincedence? Maybe. Fortunatley, I don't care. I have alcohol to comfort me. Shields up? Sounds familiar. Cloaking devices. Yes. As for me, nothing is better than Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly throwing themselves around poorly designed sets trying to out act each other. Nothing that is except Ford, Fisher and Hammil commiting pseudo incest and fighting about it. Yeah. That's good. I like! Daddy like alot...uh... ahem. Where was I? Oh yes, Ask not what your moderators can do for you but what you can do for your moderators!!!

John

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2007, 05:40:55 PM »
I can't write a bunch. I guess I'm Bi Dimensional. I like Kirk. I like Skywalker. What's the difference? Money. Who produced much of the first and second season of Star Trek TOS? A man named John Merideth Lucas. Coincedence? Maybe. Fortunatley, I don't care. I have alcohol to comfort me. Shields up? Sounds familiar. Cloaking devices. Yes. As for me, nothing is better than Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly throwing themselves around poorly designed sets trying to out act each other. Nothing that is except Ford, Fisher and Hammil commiting pseudo incest and fighting about it. Yeah. That's good. I like! Daddy like alot...uh... ahem. Where was I? Oh yes, Ask not what your moderators can do for you but what you can do for your moderators!!!

John

John, Vodka Vacuum should be MY handle, LOL!!!  Funny post, man... you rule!

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2007, 06:46:36 PM »
*fumes*  OMG!!  Don't even start with me, Viking-Boy!!!!  LOL!!!  Eh, what are ya gonna do, I love 300 but... you know... what the hell?  There's no accounting for taste, like my sainted Irish mother used to say-- just before she downed a bottle of pills and beat the crap out of me.  Ah... memories...

:D Come on. 300 is just Sin City in a setting that vaguely resembles Ancient Greece, with a couple boring scenes of bony, greasy sex and Senate debates (Episode 1 anyone?) thrown in to make you long for battle scenes which end up not quite fulfilling your expectations,  which have been built up pretty high after being told for a month that this movie will make you shit yourself with uber-violence and action-packed actioniness.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 06:48:36 PM »
action-packed actioniness

Put that on the DVD cover.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 06:53:09 PM »
300: 85% Action-Packed Actioniness - 15% Pointless Tedium - 100% Wasted Potential

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 06:55:01 PM »

:D Come on. 300 is just Sin City in a setting that vaguely resembles Ancient Greece, with a couple boring scenes of bony, greasy sex and Senate debates (Episode 1 anyone?) thrown in to make you long for battle scenes which end up not quite fulfilling your expectations,  which have been built up pretty high after being told for a month that this movie will make you shit yourself with uber-violence and action-packed actioniness.

HAHAHA!!!  You frickin' guy!!!  If I ever see your skinny-ass I will pound you!!!  (That's a laugh, you would round up on me and I would have a heart attack.... I'm a sad old man...)

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2007, 06:57:19 PM »
HAHAHA!!!  You frickin' guy!!!  If I ever see your skinny-ass I will pound you!!!  (That's a laugh, you would round up on me and I would have a heart attack.... I'm a sad old man...)

I'll let you beat on me with a cardboard tube if it'll make you feel better.  ;D

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2007, 07:02:04 PM »

I'll let you beat on me with a cardboard tube if it'll make you feel better.  ;D

You're killin' me... is THAT what you want?  You kill an old man that could be your father?  LMAO!!!!  Check out the "Mike/Lowtax" Troll2 thread, you would KILL there, my friend, my friend...

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »
Another thought came up.

Balance.

Balance the force, and the precious little prophecy.

There are a bunch of jedi. There are two sith. How exactly did the council of moderately deranged "wise elders" think that destroying all of the other side would bring "balance"? I mean, really, Anakin IS the chosen one! He DID restore balance. Before you had bunch of jedi, two sith. Now there are two sith, two jedi.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2007, 04:56:10 PM »

Truer than most realize -- He openly said in interviews that the Star Wars movies were solely made to fund for future projects.

What I don't get is why Lucas would allow teams of creative minds get together and create more and more expansions of his universe, and then NOT use the brilliant material they came up with come filming time... you'd think having so much stuff already deliberated upon and decided (and also all of the EU material was checked and approved by Lucas himself) that that material wouldn't be ignored in the films. I mean, at it's basest level, ignoring said material is just costly and time-consuming...

As someone said before, Lucas is brilliant at creating an overall concept or idea, but the directing and script-writing, and even the novels, would have probably been more satisfying to the masses had they been given to abler hands. The novels already /have/ been given to other people, and they are probably now thinking "what the hell? -- George just made my certified expansion completely invalid?!?!"

I can't disagree with one word of that. Of course, I decided long ago to consider the only official universe as what I saw on the big screen. Everything else was conjecture. Of course, that hitched me to the Lucas wagon for one awful prequel, one bad prequel and one almost passable prequel.... ugh...

Looking back, he should have realized with Empire that he worked best as an idea man. I guess if you wind up butting heads with the final film director and feel you "saved" the project he was killing... I can see the head getting a little bit. (The head which didn't stop growing until after Episode One was hoisted on us...)