login

Author Topic: Yannow... the jedi in the prequels suck!  (Read 20963 times)

Johnny_Short_Torso

Yannow... the jedi in the prequels suck!
« on: April 07, 2007, 08:27:39 AM »
Yes, yes, they keep using the excuse that "Mmmm yes dark side the cloud does everything!". But that's not the biggest problem the Jedi Council has. They're arrogant, pompous, stuck up and think they are better than everyone else. They don't even so much as crack a smile. The whole thing about emotions, ANY emotions at all leading to the dark side is a load of shit. I mean seriously a person having to control their emotions for a whole movie is so damn lame. I think it would have been much more interesting if the Jedi Council actually admitted to the fact that they are not always right and they don't always decide what is best. I mean why the hell do you need the permission of the Jedi council to train a Paddywonton anyways? They're not contributing to the story at all in any of the movies except for the end of episode II where they magically appear out of nowhere and start kicking ass as though it were a last minute writing decision by George Lucas. That's quite dubious if you ask me. They sit around meditating instead of comitting to some actual action, and I don't mean pondering whether planets are invisible or some stupid shit. The only Jedi who really made any kind of real dramatic contribution was Mace Windu... and that wasn't even until episode 3! Piss on the Jedi Council *Pisses on the Jedi council like Calvin*

Offline Lady Kitsch

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
Re: Yannow... the jedi in the prequels suck!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 02:00:01 PM »
Actually, the general incompetence of the Jedi in the prequels is one of the few aspects I found to be interesting in the new trilogy.  Besides their fighting skills, they are a mostly useless bunch and their bad judgments lead to their downfall as much as anything Palpatine or Vader/Anakin do.  It may have been dramatically intriguing, but it sure wasn't satisfying for fans who wanted to see the Jedi in their prime doing cool stuff. 

Offline Just Some Guy

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 02:31:54 PM »
I don't even think it was dramatically interesting.  It would be one thing if we saw massive Jedi corruption and hubris directly leading to their downfall, but it's mainly the fact that they couldn't out think a ten-year old that does them in and it undermines the whole thing. 

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 02:45:18 PM »

How is it that only two Sith are like, the arch-enemy of hundreds of Jedi... for thousands of years?! Seriously, there are pretty much only two Sith at any given time in the history of the universe and they are the absolute in evil... sworn enemy of the Jedi. How do two single people, in the entire galaxy, pose any sort of threat year after year after year. Especially when someone's on to you and what you're up to? But the Jedi could never defeat them or wipe them from existence? What?

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 02:49:58 PM »
I always thought the prequels would have been better if Qui-Gon had lived until the second film and actually been able to train Anakin for a few years, then it would make sense that Anakin keeps brining him up all the time to Obi-wan.  Also Qui-gon should have been teetering on the darkside a bit more, you know almost going over the edge but redeeming himself somehow, then it would have made more sense for Anakin going that way than just being convinced by a couple conversations with some senator in the 3rd one.

The best thing to come from Star Wars in the last 10 years are the Clone Wars cartoons by the Samurai Jack guy.  Those have much more exciting scenes of the jedis than anything in the prequels.

They're supposed to be doing a new CG series but Lucas appears to be heavily involved in it so it'll probably suck.

Rude: I assumed that the whole "2 there are, no more ,no less" meant that they hung out in pairs not that there were only 2 in the whole galaxy.  In the 2nd one they make it seem like Dooku must have been around, being evil, during the Phantom Menace time but he was with a different master or something, I guess.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
The Sith Order...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 03:43:14 PM »
Quote from: Douglin
Rude: I assumed that the whole "2 there are, no more ,no less" meant that they hung out in pairs not that there were only 2 in the whole galaxy.

I can't believe i'm doing this...

Quote from: Wikipedia.org
Following the Sith Order's destruction at the Seventh Battle of Ruusan, Darth Bane reformed the order and decreed that there would only be two Sith at a time from that point onward: a Master and an apprentice.

Quote from: StarWars.com : Databank
One Sith had the cunning to survive. Darth Bane restructured the cult, so that there could only be two -- no more, no less -- a master, and an apprentice. Bane adopted cunning, subterfuge, and stealth as the fundamental tenets of the Sith order. Bane took an apprentice. When that apprentice succeeded him, that new Sith Lord would take an apprentice.

Yes, i am a geek.
-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 05:18:46 PM »
Well, there are only 2 Sith Lords.  In the Knights of the Old Republic series, there are still only 2 Sith Lords, but it implies dozens, if not hundreds of Dark Jedi.

Johnny_Short_Torso

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 06:03:46 PM »
I always thought the bullshit about there only being two at a time was just that, bullshit. Master and apprentice my ass, why the hell are there 20 people on the Jedi council then? There should ALWAYS be more of the sith, stupid yoda and mace windu shoulda at least had the requisite intelligence to know that. That's about the stupidest conclusion they could reach considering the sith are so "evil" and "deceptive".... the Jedi in the prequels are complete dumbasses.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 06:24:32 PM »
The main problem with the Jedi in the prequels is their pride in their powers and wisdom. That's the whole idea as to why you see a supposedly strong force of Jedi reduced to two lonely old hermits in the original trilogy. It was exactly their rigidity and confidence in their rules and regulations that made them such an easy target for the Sith.

I must admit that they do suck for the most part . . . but they were supposed to suck.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 06:44:33 PM »
I think that using the force makes you stupid.

Think about it. On one hand, you have the hubris-filled easily decieved "wise elders". On the other hand, you have sith, with two members at a time only on the premise that they otherwise would kill each other. What's more, the fact that any Sith lord takes on a pupil doesn't make sense, considering that their core philosophy is the self matters more than anything else, so there is no sane reason to share your knowledge and power with somebody else who, because of that same philosophy, will inevitably KILL you when they learn everything. So either you WILL be murdered by your student, or because of knowledge held back every generation the total Sith lore decreases. 

No wonder they always use robes and undergo mental training. By the time they reach master status most force-users must have trouble figuring out how to put on pants.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline cropsy13

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 03:28:59 PM »
I would rather be sith/Dark side

At least then everything isn't against the rules, Everything is a path to the dark side according to the jedi

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 05:11:31 PM »
I would rather be sith/Dark side

At least then everything isn't against the rules, Everything is a path to the dark side according to the jedi

Hey, at least they're not as guilt-ridden as a few of the so-called Christian groups I've seen.  I haven't seen the Jedi equivalent of Jack Chick or Jack Thompson yet.

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
I think the main problem is that Lucas had no clear idea of how the force works on a macroscopic level. He never had the Jedi counsel, which is composed of people who should individually be able to accomplish enormous things, do anything but sit around and bitch about how the force wasn't working anymore: we never see a situation where they manage to use the broad empathic field to their advantage.

People in the prequels use the force to hop around ineffectually and make the plot limp forward. We in the real world like to call that force "bad writing".

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 10:06:08 PM »
Lucas is just a bad writer.  That's all.  Now, don't get me wrong, he's a technical GENIUS and he has great ideas for things like, The Force, Jedi Knights, Light Sabers, etc. but he needs to have these great ideas and have real writers develope them.  Also, he's like Thomas Edison when it comes to film and the business of movies.

Brillaint man.  But has no idea what real human beings do in the real world.  Just my opinion, and I'm pretty drunk, so....
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Johnny_Short_Torso

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 10:28:05 PM »
Lucas is just a bad writer.  That's all.  Now, don't get me wrong, he's a technical GENIUS and he has great ideas for things like, The Force, Jedi Knights, Light Sabers, etc. but he needs to have these great ideas and have real writers develope them.  Also, he's like Thomas Edison when it comes to film and the business of movies.

Brillaint man.  But has no idea what real human beings do in the real world.  Just my opinion, and I'm pretty drunk, so....
I'd say you got just about everything right.  ;)