Author Topic: Headphone's and Earbuds 2.0  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 564
  • Riff Super Monsters
Headphone's and Earbuds 2.0
« on: March 06, 2015, 06:39:43 PM »
Sony Headphone MDR-HW700DS

what kind of can or buds do you have?
Academy Days by henry88 aka  Ghost of Criswell
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3299939/1/Academy-Days mind dropping a review or perhaps sharing some ideas via pm

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 281
Re: Headphone's and Earbuds 2.0
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 09:18:14 PM »
Just using some ipod ones at the moment. I used of those in ear ones and found them really weird, they made noises whenever my jaw moved.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1085
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:21:37 AM »
My 1st generation Bose noise canceling headphones finally broke beyond repair, so it's time to get some new ones.  Any recomendations?  Here are some features I'm looking for:

+ I prefer over-ear vs on-ear, and definitely not in-ear
+ Bluetooth would be nice, with the ability to use a cord as well
+ Portable
+ Noise cancellation is cool, but not a requirement

So far I've found these two that meet my needs:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PYW5X1A/ref=psdc_172541_t1_B00IMLLAUI

and

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOP3NPW/ref=psdc_172541_t2_B00IMLLAUI?

The first one is cheaper, folds more compact, and comes with a nice case.  It also seems to have larger ear cups to fit over my ears.  But it's battery life is only around 8 hours.

The second one is close to twice as much, has smaller ear cups, doesn't fold as well, and it's unclear if it comes with a case.  But the battery lasts almost 3 times as long, and it seems the sound quality might be a little better. 

They both have good reviews on amazon.  If anyone has any other headphones they like or other advice, well, I'm all ears.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2051
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
Those both look pretty nice.  I am in need of some decent headphones and a new mic.  The first one does seem surprisingly affordable, I am not familiar with the brand though. It has a better rating.  The second pair does come with a carrying case. 

At the end of the day the ear cups fold flat for storage in the included zippered carrying case.

Its a tough call though, might take some more research...

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 05:05:51 PM »
Ordered the sentey headphones for $45.  There's a chance I won't be happy with the lack of noise canceling that I've grown accustom to, and I'll end up getting a more expensive pair of bose headphones later.  So I went with the cheap ones for now.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 05:07:53 PM »
I am very interested to learn how they work for you.  Keep us informed!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »
Received these headphones in the mail the other day

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PYW5X1A/ref=psdc_172541_t1_B00IMLLAUI

So far I'm quite happy with them. It's so nice not being tethered to a cord when doing the dishes or cleaning. I was even able to take them to work when we were doing a checkout, tediously labeling upwards of 60 lights. And I love that I can adjust the volume or even pause the audio on the headphones themselves, preventing me from digging my phone out of my pocket.

They are light, and seem to be constructed well enough. The ear pads are pretty comfy. One of the two complaints I have is that they barely extend to fit my admittedly longer head. It's not enough of an issue to return them, but it'd be nice if the extended a little farther.

They sound pretty good as well, even over Bluetooth. I don't have a super trained ear, but I know a thing or two about sound, and these are not bad at all. My second complaint is that they are natively a little bassy. That's fine for music, but I listen to a lot of podcasts where bass isn't really welcome, and unfortunately my iPhone doesn't have native EQ for podcasts. There's an app that can do it, but I'm becoming more accustomed to it, to the point where I don't mind so much now. It's not a big issue regardless.

They connected to my iPhone super easily. Unfortunately the Bluetooth on my PC is so shitty that they are increadibly choppy even when I put my head right next to the tower. But with my iPhone I can leave my phone on the other side of my apartment, about 100' away, and they still work great, which is even better than advertised. I've considered maybe getting a Bluetooth card for my PC, but we'll see.

For $50, I am very happy with the purchase.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:15:20 AM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 10:33:34 AM »
Nice.  That is good to know.  I might have to think about checking them out also.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »
My motherboard has given me audio grief for years.  The on board sound card doesn't work for mic input.  Bought a sound card to bypass that problem, but my mobo stops recognizing it every couple days or so unless I physically take it out and put it back in.  My speakers connect through USB so I've been able to ignore the issue for the most part, but the rare times when I want to use a mic while gaming become a huge headache.

So, I decided to get myself some usb gaming headphones for Christmas.  I didn't want something like this that was going after the 10 year old market in a desperate attempt to looks as much like a transformer as possible:

I also wanted something that sounded pretty decent.  I didn't need studio level headphones, but something that sounded more honest than Beats.  Which meant I was going to spend a bit of money, but I felt it would be worth it.

I landed on these: Steelseries Siberia 650 Gaming Headset https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017BCWD7W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=231EI0D56RNQU&coliid=I3RD9E3YZNHNB2&th=1

They look a little funky, and that orange ring there is actually a bunch of RGb LEDs that I've programed to fade from color to color (admittedly a bit like a transformer), but they sound really good, and the microphone is retractable so it's not sticking in my face the whole time.  They came with some software that has an equalizer that I've been tooling around with. 

They also have a 7.1 surround sound feature that took me forever to get to work.  It wouldn't let me switch it over in the windows settings.  Finally figured out that the USB bus it was plugged into was overloaded (mainly by my usb speakers).  Had no idea that could happen.  Once I shuffled some stuff around the surround sound 'worked'.  I say 'worked' because it doesn't sound that great.  And the illusion of space isn't much better than what normal stereo can do. 

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase.  A bit spendy, but they work, the mic works, and I can play Thumper the way it's meant to be played: ear bleeding loud.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 06:06:31 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 326
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 10:35:55 PM »
After having broken three sets of corded headsets (mostly from getting my foot snagged on the cord), I finally broke down and bought a cordless Turtle Beach Stealth 450.

They're pretty nice, with one MAJOR flaw: They're entirely plastic. After about a year, the left earpiece broke off (I frequently fall asleep while wearing them). But the wire was still intact. So I did what any sensible person would... took half a dozen nails and a shit load of electrical tape and reinforced the hell out of it. Still works, and is the most comfortable set of headphones I've owed. I'm actually wearing them as I type this. But every once in a while I have to re-bend the nails so they'll fit tightly enough.

I'm not sure I can say I recommend them, but I sure as hell can say I will never go back to using a corded headset.