login

Author Topic: R.I.P. Gary Owens  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
R.I.P. Gary Owens
« on: February 13, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
Sigh.  Gary Owens has died.  He did so many things in the world of computer games.  In particular, he was the voice over for the  Space Quest series.  And he was going to be the voice over for the new space quest: Space Ventures.
I don't know if he did the recordings before he died.  Either way, it's a great loss, from my perspective. He was hilarious.  :'(

Thanks for playing Space Quest IV! As usual, you've been a real pant-load. Gary Owens in Space Quest IV
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:30:02 AM by Pak-Man »
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: R.I.P. Garu Owens
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »
/facepalm

You're banned too.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3888
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 09:42:32 AM »
Aww man...

Mark Crowe (Guy from Andromeda) responds:

Quote from: Mark Crowe
Hey Gang -

Scott and I are both very saddened by the news of Gary Owens' passing the the age of 80. What can we say-  the man was a living legend in the entertainment biz whom we were both extremely privileged to have had the opportunity to work with and honored to have featured in Space Quest. It was definitely a high-point in our younger lives/careers and an experience I'll always look back on warmly. What makes this news doubly hard ,of course, is that (as you all know) Gary was to be featured as the narrator in Spaceventure. Unfortunately, Mr. Owens health fell into decline before we were able to record him. But what we want everyone to know is that, though we could never replace Gary as the narrator, we will work hard to find the right talent for the job.

Best,

-Mark

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 02:53:40 PM »
/facepalm

You're banned too.

Garu?  DAMN!  Can I change the name of the thread?
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 02:55:54 PM »
Aww man...

Mark Crowe (Guy from Andromeda) responds:

Quote from: Mark Crowe
Hey Gang -

Scott and I are both very saddened by the news of Gary Owens' passing the the age of 80. What can we say-  the man was a living legend in the entertainment biz whom we were both extremely privileged to have had the opportunity to work with and honored to have featured in Space Quest. It was definitely a high-point in our younger lives/careers and an experience I'll always look back on warmly. What makes this news doubly hard ,of course, is that (as you all know) Gary was to be featured as the narrator in Spaceventure. Unfortunately, Mr. Owens health fell into decline before we were able to record him. But what we want everyone to know is that, though we could never replace Gary as the narrator, we will work hard to find the right talent for the job.

Best,

-Mark

Yes.  I am a backer for the new game, and was thrilled Gary Owens was going to be the narrator.  They did an interview with him last year, and he was coughing a lot.  I was worried.  His humor and great voice will be missed.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 06:41:54 PM »
I know him from Laugh-In and everything else that Don Pardo didn't announce... but I guess he's known mostly for video games?

And yes, Garu. I figured you were just going with his Japanese name? :D
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 06:50:46 PM »
Here was his last go-round as Space Ghost...

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83258658/

The dude definitely had the quintessential adult authority figure/announcer voice.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 09:45:14 PM »
Here was his last go-round as Space Ghost...

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83258658/

The dude definitely had the quintessential adult authority figure/announcer voice.

He did indeed. They'll have to get Harry Shearer for things now whenever they want that unique tone.

I'm gonna miss Garu Ownes.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 10:19:47 PM »
Unabeef:  Sometimes. my vision is a little blurry.  Looked like a Y  to me. Thanks for noticing.  Wish I could change it.  He's not known mostly for video games.  He's most famous for Laugh-in, but he was in the business for almost 70 years.

He's definitely known in the geek world for his work on video games.

Here's someone's selection of a few of his lines in SQIV along with some SQ IV moments

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sdUnoOIikE0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sdUnoOIikE0</a>

Owens provided the voices for:

The title character of Roger Ramjet.
    The narrator for the cartoon series The Perils of Penelope Pitstop.
    The Space Ghost for the original Space Ghost (1966–1968) cartoon series (credited as Gary Owen) and on Space Stars (1981–1982). He later reprised his role in a 2011 episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
    The announcer for Garfield and Friends.
    The narrator of Dr. Phibes Rises Again
    Powdered Toast Man of The Ren and Stimpy Show.
    Captain Squash on Bobby's World.
    Inspector Gadget in the pilot episode's original version.
    Dirk Niblick on PBS's Square One TV.
    A substitute announcer for Bill Nye The Science Guy.
    The announcer and Principal in two episodes of Two Stupid Dogs
    The Blue Falcon in Dynomutt, Dog Wonder. (He later reprised the role in both an episode of Dexter's Laboratory and an episode of Johnny Bravo .)
    Badly Animated Man in Raw Toonage.
    Commander Ulysses Feral in SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
    The narrator for the pilot episode of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.
    The narrator for the U.S. commercial of Super Mario Land 2.
    Opening narration for Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.
    The voice of Cy (Cylon) from the Galactica 1980 episode "The Return of Starbuck."
    The announcer and himself for Space Ghost Coast to Coast.
    The 1950s-styled Batman in The New Batman Adventures episode "Legends of the Dark Knight."
    The announcer for Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad.
    The voice of the Antenna TV promotions (2011–2015), intoning "Vintage...without the funny smell."
    Namor in the "7 Little Superheroes" episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.

He has also narrated or announced dozens of other cartoons, as well as the fourth and sixth installments of the Space Quest PC game series.  Has done an untold number of radio and TV commetcials.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3888
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: R.I.P. Gary Owens
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 12:30:24 AM »
Pretty sure you can change the title by editing the original message, but just in case you can't, I did.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
Re: R.I.P. Gary Owens
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 02:58:41 AM »
Thank you!   :)
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 07:33:23 AM »
Unabeef:  Sometimes. my vision is a little blurry.  Looked like a Y  to me. Thanks for noticing.  Wish I could change it.  He's not known mostly for video games.  He's most famous for Laugh-in, but he was in the business for almost 70 years.

Oh I know, I'm just giving you a hard time!  :highfive:

It's what I do... and without it, what am I really? ... Somebody's gotta do it. We need to keep this forum alive (barely) since Rifftrax seems to want to let it die a slow and painful death.