login

Author Topic: Best of 2014  (Read 1695 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1175
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
Best of 2014
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »
Happy New Year BTW.

2014 was a fantastic year for gaming. So I was just wondering, what would you consider to be the best games of the year. My short list would be:

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Shadow of Mordor
Shovel Knight
Alien Isolation
Wolfenstein: The New Order

Still waiting for the PC version of GTA:V

Feel free to add what you consider to be the best games of 2014. I'm always looking for good stuff to play.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3888
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Best of 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:45:31 AM »
Super Smash Bros. Wii
Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright
Mario Kart 8
Civilization: Beyond Earth
The Wolf Among Us (It started last year, but it mostly came out this year)
And I'll second Shovel Knight

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:10:44 PM »
This probably won't shock anyone but my number one with a bullet is Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.  They took one of my favorite games of all time and improved it in pretty much every way imaginable.

Other than the ones you already mentioned, I'll also throw Dark Souls 2 in there.  Not quite as good as the first game but I still spent a ton of time with it and I really enjoyed it, especially if you include the DLC, which was mostly excellent.  I have a feeling that several Nintendo titles would make my list if I had a Wii U.  I plan to remedy that situation when I get my tax refund, if not before.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3888
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 03:28:45 PM »
I may need to join the Binding of Isaac club. I have the first one, and I enjoyed it for a bit, but never tackled it head on. Enough people around here are having enough fun with the sequel that I feel left out...

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 02:48:39 AM »
I've tried to get into The Binding of Isac many times and I've come to the conclusion it's just not for me.
I don't know what the best games of 2014 were but some of the games I've enjoyed the most were.

(no particular order)
Depth
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Sniper Elite 3
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Elite Dangerous
Metro 2033 Redux
Alien Isolation
Far Cry 4
Thief
Insurgency

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 05:39:51 AM »
I'd reccomend the Binding of Isaac. For me it has a perfect balance of random chance and skill that makes each run interesting and entertaining. It'd definitely be on my list for 2014, along with:

Dragon Age Inquisition
Shovel Knight
Dark Souls ii
Shadow of Mordor

But more importantly for me were the betas/alphas of the kickstarters I backed that came out this year. Massive Chalice, Pillars of Eternity, Broken Age, and most importantly, Star Citizen. They all show so much promise and made this a great year for gaming.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 09:09:57 AM »
I had high hopes for quite a few 2014 games, but the only ones that delivered big for me were Dark Souls II and Lords of the Fallen.  I've put an insane amount of hours into Dark Souls II, and I'd probably still be playing Lords if it hadn't ended up being so short.
Dragon Age: Inquisition entertained me for almost a hundred hours, but most of that time was spent trying to get into it.
My biggest disappointment was Shadow of Mordor.  The devs had already said that the combat and all was basically an Arkham reskin, but then once I did the Assassin's Creed dive off the thing... it was just too much.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1175
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 12:16:11 PM »
<---  See my avatar. I was a big fan of Dark Souls. But I just can't get into DS2 for some reason. I just don't feel like it's as well designed as the first game. Also, who thought it would be a good idea to decrease my max health every time I die?!? That person needs to be punched in the face. That's like the bank charging you overdraft fees when they already know you don't have any money.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
2048 is my game of the year. That's how crappy 2014 was for me in gaming. Looks like I'll be getting a lot of fun stuff this year though.

I don't think I played a single AAA title that came out this year. In fact, the only games from this year I really loved were Telltale's.