Author Topic: What have we learned?  (Read 33189 times)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
Re: What have we learned?
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2007, 12:37:56 AM »
I love history, both real-world and fictional, and I wish more teachers and writers understood that simple concept. Teaching history is storytelling - it's that simple. Whenever someone tells me they "hate history" I try to explain that they've just never had the right teacher. I get the feeling you're one of the good ones. *thumbs up*

Thank you kindly. It's always nice to get some reinforcement I'm doing it right. Mostly these days I do lectures, not a professor yet. I try to teach history, as best I can, as it was (without PC-entanglements, which, for those in the field realize, are a major problem), in an entertaining, engrossing manner. To learn at all, in any field, students will best understand if you can entertain them in the subject.

I teach specifically Irish history. I always start off with dispelling popular myths, which always drags in some attention, but going into stories about every aspect of their lives before the Normans, you'll get everyone's attention. How they really dressed (kilts are a late medieval/early renaissance Scottish advent, and unpopular even there till the mid-1700s), which was unique for the region, how they lived (far more advanced than people realize), how their social life was, how their political life was (somewhat monarchic mixed with strong republican overtones, as in the 'base electors', that included every free man and woman which was most of society; for the Americans here, 'republican' as in the governmental type, not the modern political party, though the US is a 'Republic', and is somewhat similar in several ways, though modernized), how they fought (far, far more complex than people realize), who they were (not Celts; Gaels, the inhabitants of Ireland, are not strictly Celts from around 200 BC; they speak a Celtic language, but they are a unique mixed culture), and so on. Modern myth about Ireland is very strong, and I feel a good chunk needs dispelled, before one can truly grasp ancient Ireland up to early medieval Ireland, which is a very complex story (hardly the anarchy the English pitched it as prior to invasion; though, truth be told, it wasn't the English who invaded, but mercs paid for by Henry II for his old ally, king of Leinster, Diarmait mac Murchad/Murrough, which set off the conflicts between Ireland and England; Ireland was, at the time, mostly under rule of a centralized king, which many people don't get, which was irrevocably damaged by Henry's support of Diarmait {though that support wasn't his fault; it was merely part of honor in the day}).

I get the feeling I'd really enjoy your class. I imagine I'd need Intro to Irish History first, though.

Offline Ranika

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2007, 12:46:08 AM »
Most do. Irish history is badly misunderstood. Most peoples understanding is drawn from a bad mix of Irish annals with English interpretation and history; ultimately pitching pre-English Ireland as anarchic, which isn't remotely true, but is bought by many. So, I do teach an intro to Irish history. It's far more complicated. It's not utopian by any means, but it's not chaotic anarchy either by any stretch.
"If two friends ask you to judge a dispute, don't accept, because you will lose one friend; on the other hand, if two strangers come with the same request, accept because you will gain one friend." - St. Augustine

Offline Fifthrate

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2007, 05:14:38 AM »
I learned that Coruscant can't afford a police force.
"A site where riffs evolved from movies?!"

"It's a mad house. A mad house!"

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2007, 02:51:28 PM »
Wow...I've been reading the conversation that's been going on in this thread, and I have to say, it's the most dorktacular thing I've ever read.

Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Fifthrate

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2007, 04:29:04 AM »
Wow...I've been reading the conversation that's been going on in this thread, and I have to say, it's the most dorktacular thing I've ever read.

Yes? And?  ;D
"A site where riffs evolved from movies?!"

"It's a mad house. A mad house!"

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #155 on: November 29, 2007, 04:57:26 AM »

Yes? And?  ;D

You guys probably have lifetime subscriptions.  That's all I was trying to say.

(It's a SBEmail joke.  "Popular Science?  No such thing, man.  More like 'Nerdular Nerdence.'")
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline prestonp

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2008, 08:15:09 PM »
He just needs to tie things together. It ends up turning Star Wars universe into one big, stupid family where everyone is somehow related to or has history with the person standing next to him or her. Luke shoots a storm trooper, who is a clone of Jango Fett, who fought Obi Wan, who was the mentor of Anakin, who fathered Luke, who shoots a storm trooper...   ::)

In other words, it's a lot like Alias.