Author Topic: Netflix online vs via BluRay  (Read 669 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6260
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Netflix online vs via BluRay
« on: December 20, 2014, 06:26:43 PM »
I notice that when I go online to get to Netflix, it will have every episode available for Instant viewing of various TV shows my parents like to watch (Coach, Frasier, Andy Griffith Show, etc.). Yet when they get on Netflix through their BluRay player (it's an LG player, model BD630) they only have certain episodes that show up under Instant. It's the same Netflix account I am logged in to when online and through the BluRay, so I don't know why it would be any different.
Other than that the BluRay plays Netflix Instant beautifully. My parents watch it all the time.

Offline AMKR

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 7
  • Source Aura
    • Aeons Old - SoundCloud
Re: Netflix online vs via BluRay
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
Hmmm, Ive always used my PS4 or PS3 for Netflix and Amazon Instant. So I guess I can't comment really, but that's odd.

Netflix does suck with alot of their TV shows - not having full (or all) the seasons, missing episodes, crap like that. Id rather pay for the HD on amazon instant for something I really want than to have to watch something that's incomplete.
Source Auras - AMKR & Josh Grooves.

Soundcloud.com/aeonsold (now broken up, working on new project Source Auras currently - all old material)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 09:26:50 PM »
I did some more research and found that a lot of other people have noticed the same thing. It seems to be a lot of second company apps have a 100 episode limit. Not sure if there is an upgrade for the LG BD630 that fixes this issue.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2920
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 09:29:47 PM »
I've never noticed a difference between what is on the website vs my Roku or before that my Apple TV, I've only had the Amazon TV stick 2 weeks but the shows I've scrolled through on that are complete.   I can't stand the lag for apps on my Blu-Ray (Panasonic) or my TV so never use Netflix on those.

I would guess the reason is the age of the player, from a quick look online it seems to be a 2011 model, they just don't update the apps for older hardware and you won't see certain stuff on older apps (does any show or movie say "SuperHD"?). 

AMKR:  Netflix has gotten a lot better filling in missing episodes this year (Columbo was missing a lot but they all showed up), still a lot of full seasons missing for shows but I fear this will get worse as competing companies try to get exclusive deals, Amazon Prime has been getting more recent seasons of some shows than Netflix has the last year or so.

Edit:  Never heard of that limit of 100 on lists of episodes before, but could see it being needed on players that don't have much memory (something that probably can't be overcome with a firmware update), you might see if the thing will use an SD card or USB stick as extra memory the way a Roku can.  I know my Blu-Ray uses an SD card to store BD-Live and other data too big for it's internal memory.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:33:22 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 06:40:03 AM »
In my research, it looks like the Roku may not have the same issue. One of the gifts my brother got them for this Christmas is a Roku Stick, so if they use that it may solve their problem anyway.