login

Author Topic: Episode II Thoughts  (Read 20482 times)

Offline DoctorZ

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • It may stop, but it never ends.
Re: Episode II Thoughts
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 10:19:02 AM »
 :clap:  Could have done more though.  I wish he was more a Riffer than the occasional quip maker.  Other than that this is one of my all time favorites. 

Do the whole series!  Even Empire!  I want the complete set!!!  And while you're at it do the other two LOTR films as well.  More PAIN!!!
" A woman who takes her husband about with her everywhere is like a cat that goes on playing with a mouse long after she's killed it." SAKI

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 11:50:56 AM »
I've seen this movie a few times and this riff pointed out to me that the dialogue is even worse than I thought, if that's possible.  I didn't remember "I love the water" either, because it was so overshadowed by the hot non-sand lovin' bit.  THAT is how bad this movie was, that a line so awful and inane would sail right past.

Offline FBX

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 07:43:54 PM »
ugh, no more star wars riffs. Theres no more material to work with.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 07:49:48 PM »
Well, maybe as a final note, I just heard Mike say that Episode II was the worst film of all time.  He thought it was Episode I, but Kevin convinced him to see Episode II and he had to agree, it was even worse.  This was in the Comics Review interview posted on the Riffblog.

He had some funny things to say about it and many other interesting comments throughout the interview.  Check the Riffblog.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2007, 04:54:48 AM »
Just got around to watching this one. I still think it's a better movie than Ep 1, but it's not as big a difference as I remembered. Just the subtraction of Jake Lloyd and the reduction of  Jar Jar makes this one that much more bearable... but it's painfully overwrought romance and/or CGI set pieces rival the Pod Race for tedium. Also, I'm going to give Hayden at least a little slack. Given the slop dialogue/script he had to work with, about the only likely outcome for Ep2 Anakin was going to be "whiny bitch".

As far as the rifftrax,  this one is more consistent throughout than Ep 1. For the most part they kept to the comedy as opposed to just yelling at the movie, which I never find particularly funny. While I thought the "make fun of the silly names" thing should have run it's course the last time around... there wasn't much to complain about. While maybe not the pinnacle of their work (despite my issues with it, I thought Ep 1 delivered more big belly laughs), this one is still a nice accomplishment considering the diminishing returns of going back to another prequel.

The Chad Vader angle was handled nicely, even if I thought he could have been thrown a few more bones. I liked the fact that his lines were kept "in character" as opposed to just dividing up riffs from the general population. While I usually re-author the DVD, I watched this one old-skool style and I'm glad I did. The pre-movie intro was probably Chad's single funniest moment and it's something that would be edited out during a re-author.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought they were going to struggle to keep this one fresh on the heels of the other awful prequel, but they did a good job. I wouldn't put it in my top 5, but it's right up there with Episode 1... a solid B.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2007, 08:13:07 PM »
What is this "re-author" thing I keep hearing of? Is it possible to add a rifftrax to a DVD without several thousand dollars worth of piracy tech and a degree from MIT?
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2007, 06:42:13 AM »
What is this "re-author" thing I keep hearing of? Is it possible to add a rifftrax to a DVD without several thousand dollars worth of piracy tech and a degree from MIT?

http://www.rifftrax.com/smf/index.php/topic,413.0.html

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2007, 12:11:20 AM »
this is one of many riffs  ive recently "caught up" on,  good solid riff.  but can someone explain why chad didnt even seem to TRY to riff?  he makes a bad pun in the beggining and they seemed to mean he got written out.  i realize they wrote in the bad pun as an excuse to write him out of the riff but WHY??

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2007, 12:19:52 AM »
Well, not too far back in this thread I pondered this and came up with

I was pondering the frequency of Chad's riffs while watching the movie, and I realized that because they play his breathing effect for a few seconds before and after he says something, we would be hearing an almost constant "CHHHHHHH-SHHHHHH" while we watched the movie were he to riff as often as Mike and Kevin. They can't drop the breathing effect for possibility's sake but they don't want to drown out the movie with it, so they settled for a reduced number of times it would happen. That's what I think anyway.

Offline wallflower

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2007, 04:40:47 PM »
At a point in the movie a highly unbelievable CG spaceship flies into a highly unbelievable CG landscape.
Me doing my Irulan voice: "Planet Geidi Prime, home of House Harkonnen"
Kevin Murphy: Looks like he's flying into David Lynch's Dune

Amidala: Annakin, I've fallen in love with you.
Me: Sheesh, one little genocide and girls fall all over you.
Kevin Murphy: It was my genocide that got to you, wasn't it?

Me: You know what, I'm just gonna shut up now.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2007, 08:22:43 AM »
Hmm?

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2007, 09:39:51 PM »

Hmm... yea... and remember that next Friday is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 07:17:59 AM »
Oh, oh, and I almost forgot. Ahh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too...

Offline Wild Eep

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2007, 09:51:52 PM »
I think the riffing on this one was of much higher caliber than Ep. 1. 

Offline carzorthade

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2007, 06:18:06 AM »
The riff for Episode II felt sub-par, mainly because it seemed like the whole movie consisted of making fun of the fantasy names (its "Naboo," we get it) and making pooping sounds whenever it showed someone sitting in a chair (once you hear it more than twice you realize why you got over poop jokes in the 5th grade... okay, 7th).

More than that, Chad Vader should have had more lines. I don't know how Guest Riffers work, whether or not lines are written for them or they submit their own material (and therefore Chad simply didn't have much to offer), but it seemed like he had only two jokes, three tops.

Honestly, there were only two parts I really laughed out loud at, and one of them was in the Rifftrax preview: the part where the landing craft explodes and Mike says, "Glad we didn't take the local!", and when Dooku walks up in the arena during the Jedi/Geonotian and "says," And now, a reading from St. Paul to- what the hell?!"