Author Topic: I think part of this movie makes a touch more sense...  (Read 731 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
I think part of this movie makes a touch more sense...
« on: December 18, 2014, 05:51:27 PM »
Just a touch, though.

One of the (many) problems in this movie is the history of psychotic serial killer.

In the beginning of the movie with the opening credits we see a "flash-forward" of sorts of him donning the surgical dressings before presumably heading out to create his terror.

During the main narrative of the movie we meet Dr. Sickler (the most awesome character ever) in the hospital, doing his rounds, and they speak of the patient being dangerously psychotic and thus in need of lobotomy.  By this time he has escaped and begun his reign or terror (or is currently in a supply closet putting on his "disguise.")

So this begged the question, if he NEEDED a lobotomy then why the surgical scar implying that he had had some kind of brain surgery that didn't take?

Well, the answer lies in the medical documents we see as the doctor reflects on the patient's case.  In the medical documentation it says the guy was admitted to a hospital with some neurological conditions which, apparently, prompted some-kind-of exploratory surgery where nothing was found and the final recommendation was a lobotomy.

Now, this still doesn't make a great deal of sense.  First of all, I'm pretty sure they don't just cut open your skull and start poking around in there to see if there's a problem.  Usually they try and find a problem with scanning equipment first.

Secondly, if they found nothing I'm not sure how they go from there to the man needing a lobotomy (a pretty drastic surgery for "acts crazy, nothing odd in his brain") as opposed to needing to be medicated or simply just be kept in a highly secure institute.

Frankly, as someone who's had brain surgery I find this movie's treatment of it quite offensive.

Okay, not really, but anyway the story makes a tiny bit more sense now.  At least in regards as to where the surgical scar came from, it was from the exploratory surgery before the movie begins, performed to hopefully find the problem making the patient psychotic.

Offline TriffRax

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
Re: I think part of this movie makes a touch more sense...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 02:53:56 AM »
I think you've put more thought into it than the writer/director did.