login

Author Topic: The Interview (NOT Cancelled)  (Read 13581 times)

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
Re: The Interview (NOT Cancelled)
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »
Love that it's streaming.  Saves me a trip to a somewhat out of the way theater.  Has anyone used YouTube's VOD service?  It seems like getting it there would allow me the most access to it on the most devices, but I have no idea if they're any good.  I usually use Vudu but it's not on there.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4467
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »
Seth Rogan mentioned this on his Twitter:
http://www.theinterview-movie.com/

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 07:20:40 PM by The Lurker »

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2014, 11:58:48 PM »
So, I watched it.  I lowered my expectations before watching it because, c'mon, there's no way this movie could live up to all of the hype caused by the controversy, and the reviews have been mixed at best.  Well, I actually thought it was really good.  If you've liked the other Rogen/Goldberg stuff, you'll probably like this.  Franco plays a really good idiot and Rogen is the same dude he is in every movie he's in, which is fine with me.  Great cameos too, which is the norm for these movies. I do think it's interesting how many people derided it as a stoner comedy, as in, "All of this controversy over a stupid stoner comedy?!" .  I've probably said it at some point.  In actuality though, I don't think pot is even mentioned and there's only one instance of drug use of any kind that I can think of. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: The Interview (Cancelled)
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
JimJ, is the ending what I thought it would be?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »
JimJ, is the ending what I thought it would be?

The guy playing Kim Jong Un, Randall Park, was really good, BTW.  One of the highlights of the film for me.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2014, 06:20:19 PM »
Watched it last night and thought it was pretty good.

Also, I'm worried people will think the filmmakers were making those things up to make North Korea look crazy. It is exactly that crazy.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2014, 04:38:27 PM »
Regardless, I'd still say there's a difference between being released in 3,000 major theaters across the country over a period of weeks to a couple of months is a lot different than being released to 300 theaters for one weekend or an otherwise limited engagement.

Fear of a empty-threated regime half a world away still wins here.

As for this, not expressed out-right here but I've seen it elsewhere, being some-sort-of marketing stunt by Sony Pictures, I'm not sure that theory holds water.  First of all, it'd make no sense for SP to do such a thing considering movie studios lose money on under-performing films all of the time without having to manufacture international incidents in order to boost interest in their movies.  It'd be a *hell* of a gamble for Sony Pictures to do such a thing considering if their motives were exposed (and if government officials can't steal documents from a hotel office without a world of hurt coming down on them how is a movie studio that can't keep their own e-mails private expected to keep underwraps the fact they falsified terrorist threats?) then they'd be looking at a world of hurt coming down on them from the U.S. Government.

I don't buy for one second the "conspiracy theory" that Sony Pictures manufactured this entire thing in order to drum up hype for the movie.  Was North Korea responsible for the hacks? Looks like that could go either way but it's certainly possible they had a hand in it and they were certainly behind any threats towards Sony Pictures or movie theaters wanting to screen the movie.

For all of the criticism Sony Pictures got here for the initial cancellation of the movie the major theater chains deserve it as well since they canceled things first, forcing Sony Pictures's hand. (Though, at t the same time, SP would have had to allow theater chains out of their contractual obligations to screen the movie.)

I still think it's disappointing the movie did not get a wide released because this more limited, narrower, release still means threats from terrorists, a dictatorship or other entities won.  Fear should not be more powerful than freedom.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2014, 05:46:29 PM »
Regardless, I'd still say there's a difference between being released in 3,000 major theaters across the country over a period of weeks to a couple of months is a lot different than being released to 300 theaters for one weekend or an otherwise limited engagement.

Fear of a empty-threated regime half a world away still wins here.

As for this, not expressed out-right here but I've seen it elsewhere, being some-sort-of marketing stunt by Sony Pictures, I'm not sure that theory holds water.  First of all, it'd make no sense for SP to do such a thing considering movie studios lose money on under-performing films all of the time without having to manufacture international incidents in order to boost interest in their movies.  It'd be a *hell* of a gamble for Sony Pictures to do such a thing considering if their motives were exposed (and if government officials can't steal documents from a hotel office without a world of hurt coming down on them how is a movie studio that can't keep their own e-mails private expected to keep underwraps the fact they falsified terrorist threats?) then they'd be looking at a world of hurt coming down on them from the U.S. Government.

I don't buy for one second the "conspiracy theory" that Sony Pictures manufactured this entire thing in order to drum up hype for the movie.  Was North Korea responsible for the hacks? Looks like that could go either way but it's certainly possible they had a hand in it and they were certainly behind any threats towards Sony Pictures or movie theaters wanting to screen the movie.

For all of the criticism Sony Pictures got here for the initial cancellation of the movie the major theater chains deserve it as well since they canceled things first, forcing Sony Pictures's hand. (Though, at t the same time, SP would have had to allow theater chains out of their contractual obligations to screen the movie.)

I still think it's disappointing the movie did not get a wide released because this more limited, narrower, release still means threats from terrorists, a dictatorship or other entities won.  Fear should not be more powerful than freedom.

I see this as a learning experience in untrod ground.  Now Sony Pictures, other distributors, and the theater chains know what the will of the people would be in a situation like this and won't act as hasty to shut a release down.  This was a stumble and an attempt to stand up.  Hopefully there won't be a next time, but if there is there might not be a stumble at all.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2014, 07:10:58 PM »
Yeah, but Sony Pictures has taken the brunt of the backlash here due to sort of half-assed reporting from the media or people just glossing over the fact that Sony Pictures only canceled the movie AFTER the major theater chains declined to screen it. So while the studio likely "learned a lesson" here when it comes to withholding a movie due to possible reprisal from terrorists (and when you make a movie centered around killing a living world leader you should really expect SOME backlash from that country) what have the theaters learned?  Nothing, as there's been little to no pressure on them to screen the movie.

Now, again, Sony Pictures had to let the theaters out of their contracts to screen the movie. Normally a theater chain can't refuse to screen a studio's movie without some-kind-of repercussions either in the form of a fine and/or not getting the opportunity to screen a future release(s).   So, Sony Pictures had to allow theater chains out of this part of the contract considering the threats that were made (which, honestly, no one should have taken seriously or could have at least have planned for; although it would likely have put something of more pressure on the theaters over the holiday weekend and being and added expense in having/hiring extra security over a holiday.)  I doubt SP would have done that unless they were under pressure from the theater chains who likely took the threats seriously and feared the litigation they'd have to fight in the wake of something happening, especially if something happened after being warned.

But, in the end, I don't feel that freedom won here, namely freedom from terrorists (whether connected to North Korea or not) since, in the end, we let the fear of something maybe happening change actions and behaviors which is precisely what terrorists want.  If they can change our behavior without having to blow things up or without killing people they'll take it.

So, now we have one movie that didn't get its planned wide release (regardless of the movie's quality) and at least one other canceled (one that was in pre-production with Steve Carell). It's entirely possible there were other movies in the pipeline or in some level of development that focused on North Korea or other terrorist organizations that studios are going to be more hesitant about proceeding forward with.   This is what terrorists want.  For us to change our behavior due to fear of what *might* happen.

Terrorism won here.  Which is sad.

Yeah, it's a crummy Seth Rogen movie (I've not seen it, and I'm a fan of Seth Rogen and will likely watch the movie in the next week or so through a streaming service, but the movie hadn't gotten favorable reviews from the screenings it got before all of this.) But what happened due to all of this speaks much, much, louder.  We're talking about a movie that with advertising costs probably cost around $100 million dollars going from a wide release in some 3,000 theaters across the country over one of the busier theater-going days of the year reduced to a limited release in 300 theaters.

That's going from an opening of probably a couple dozen million dollars from millions of ticket sales at $10 a head to a fraction of that given the smaller venues, narrower release and considering that renting the streaming version for $5 can be shown to however many people you can plop in front of a TV.

That's a heck of a blow to this studio.  Again, not going to hurt their bottom line as there's lots of ways studios can avoid losing money on a box office bomb, plenty of creative accounting techniques or even the occasional movie being a "loss leader" out there just to keep names, brands, studios, etc. known. But, still, heck of a blow here.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »
So, I watched it.  I lowered my expectations before watching it because, c'mon, there's no way this movie could live up to all of the hype caused by the controversy, and the reviews have been mixed at best.  Well, I actually thought it was really good.  If you've liked the other Rogen/Goldberg stuff, you'll probably like this.  Franco plays a really good idiot and Rogen is the same dude he is in every movie he's in, which is fine with me.  Great cameos too, which is the norm for these movies. I do think it's interesting how many people derided it as a stoner comedy, as in, "All of this controversy over a stupid stoner comedy?!" .  I've probably said it at some point.  In actuality though, I don't think pot is even mentioned and there's only one instance of drug use of any kind that I can think of.

Having finally seen it (at a very crowded screening), I agree with this sentiment. I thought it was a very funny film, although nothing spectacular (or even my favorite Rogen comedy of the year, as that honor belongs to Neighbors). It actually spends the bulk of its time in the Supreme Leader's palace, so very little is really said about North Korea as a whole beyond jabs at the man himself and mostly offscreen references to the state of the country. Which is probably for the best, considering what a horror show the rest of the country actually is. It is otherwise just the vulgar comedy that I was hoping for, and though it doesn't really get into the satire side much, it actually has a lot of sincerity and heart going for it, so I certainly enjoyed it in the end. As I would have had this entire debacle not gone down.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »
The North Koreans are Disturbingly quiet.  Any ideas about why?
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2014, 04:09:29 AM »
The North Koreans are Disturbingly quiet.  Any ideas about why?
Proly cause they have no real come back to us hacking their internet than to call our president a 'monkey' :-X
Pretty sure they will just babble some more wacky empty threats, launch some missiles at some fish, or detonate another nuke soon ::)