login

Author Topic: San Andreas (2015)  (Read 4789 times)

BiteMe316

San Andreas (2015)
« on: December 09, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/84io0rN7Uyg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/84io0rN7Uyg</a>

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: San Andreas (2015)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »
The Rock vs The Big One ???

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:01:11 PM »
Hogan already took on Earthquake back in 1990  ::)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Soguru

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 10:41:17 PM »
I'm sorry, but I feel I need to say this... Enough with the fucking disaster movies already!!!! They all have the same basic makeup, the same basic archetypes, and all end roughly the exact same fucking way!!!!

Seriously, what's the tag line gonna be "Don't blame me, it's not my fault!"?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:43:06 PM by Soguru »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 11:01:10 PM »
When was the last disaster movie?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 07:36:55 AM »
Into The Storm, probably. Popeii had a bit of a different structure to the beginning because they were trying to tell a completely different story that ended up being meaningless once the volcano erupted. The last really big one I can think of was 2012. Which had all of the worst tropes of these types of movies with such a pointlessly huge cast.

Soguru

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
Into The Storm, probably. Popeii had a bit of a different structure to the beginning because they were trying to tell a completely different story that ended up being meaningless once the volcano erupted. The last really big one I can think of was 2012. Which had all of the worst tropes of these types of movies with such a pointlessly huge cast.
Noah was a disaster too, both in terms of narrative and genre. I know there are fans of disaster films out there, but honestly from an artistic standpoint I just can't imagine any disaster movie being worth shit anymore.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 11:43:30 AM »
I know there are fans of disaster films out there, but honestly from an artistic standpoint I just can't imagine any disaster movie being worth shit anymore.
I agree with you. We are so inundated with special effects heavy movies, that largescale destruction done with beleivable CGI is not that impressive anymore. If movemakers would use the disaster movie to tell a different story than the typical cliche we've seen a million times, then they'd be worth it.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 02:20:40 PM »
That droning singing needs to go.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Soguru

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 02:24:57 PM »
I know there are fans of disaster films out there, but honestly from an artistic standpoint I just can't imagine any disaster movie being worth shit anymore.
I agree with you. We are so inundated with special effects heavy movies, that largescale destruction done with beleivable CGI is not that impressive anymore. If movemakers would use the disaster movie to tell a different story than the typical cliche we've seen a million times, then they'd be worth it.
Exactly. It would take a movie studio that actually has the guts to tell a unique story and not just make a disaster film just for the sake of showing off their latest and greatest ground breaking realistic digital technology that isn't meant to look digital and somehow still looks fake as hell anyways. I mean Poseidon was a great movie, it had a good story with great, memorable characters. Towering Inferno was a really great film, a cautionary tale if you will that had some serious credibility due to the leads played by Paul Newman and Steve McQueen. Dwayne... as much as I like you, you are no Steve McQueen!

Unfortunately, movie studios very rarely if ever go out on a financial limb for artistic reasons. I personally had an idea to create a disaster movie that basically involves giant robots(Jaegers, if you will) stopping lava flows, typhoons, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Now that is interesting! And it's different too... if a bit too much like Pacific Rim in execution...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:31:22 AM by Soguru »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 03:49:28 PM »
I personally had an idea to create a disaster movie that basically involves giant robots(Jaegers, if you will) stopping lava flows, typhoons, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Now that is interesting! And it's different too... if a bit too much like Pacific Rim in execution...
That might be an interesting thing for them to do at the beginning of Pacific Rim 2, since it's supposed to be at least partly in a world without Kaiju.

Soguru

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »
I thought of one thing that can help save this film. If they turn it from totally serious disaster film into a campy, silly comedy that pokes fun at disaster movie tropes and features the Rock flying around with that little X-wing helmet on and he goes "This is red five, I'm going in!"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 09:39:31 PM »
What exactly is the point of hiring a guy like Dwayne Johnson for an action movie where he's up against a foe he can't punch or shoot?

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 12:56:56 AM »
Eh, he's a decent actor
Scottotd on Instagram

Soguru

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 07:14:34 AM »
What exactly is the point of hiring a guy like Dwayne Johnson for an action movie where he's up against a foe he can't punch or shoot?
Maybe he thought it would help his career or something? I honestly don't know. Maybe he's trying to branch out so he can pad his acting resume or something, I dunno. I don't particularly think "disaster movies" looks good on any resume because of the rather obvious negative connotation.