Author Topic: The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies  (Read 4798 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3540
  • All joking a salad.
Re: The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:27:59 AM »
Bilbo was NEVER needed in this plot! Hey, a guy a couple inches shorter than our already short selves. That means he'd make a great thief, even though he's never stolen anything in his life, nor is he stealthy. Are you fucking kidding me?! I figured of all the things Peter Jackson would have improved on, and used extra time for, it would be justifying THAT better. But no, we need to make sure we include the goddamn song!

That being said, I am still totally seeing this third one. Because I am a sucker for dragons.

The main purpose for him being involved hasn't happened yet.

Soguru

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 07:57:25 PM »
Bilbo was NEVER needed in this plot! Hey, a guy a couple inches shorter than our already short selves. That means he'd make a great thief, even though he's never stolen anything in his life, nor is he stealthy. Are you fucking kidding me?! I figured of all the things Peter Jackson would have improved on, and used extra time for, it would be justifying THAT better. But no, we need to make sure we include the goddamn song!

That being said, I am still totally seeing this third one. Because I am a sucker for dragons.

The main purpose for him being involved hasn't happened yet.
You know what I want? I want a Time Paradox!!! Bilbo finds a shortcut to mount doom, drops in the ring and The Lord of the Rings never, ever happens! Okay, so that would violate the overall story, but I think it would make a kick-ass extended edition extra. I would also love an extra scene where they explain why they can't use the Eagles at every opportunity. Too many people still complain about them not using the Eagles.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »
I would also love an extra scene where they explain why they can't use the Eagles at every opportunity. Too many people still complain about them not using the Eagles.
Maybe the Eagles are like the Ents. In that they are so old, and slow, and ponderous as to be completely worthless, unless they are actually tricked into being useful.

Soguru

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »
Maybe the Eagles are like the Ents. In that they are so old, and slow, and ponderous as to be completely worthless, unless they are actually tricked into being useful.
Maybe... I just want an official explanation so that a lot of youtubers will just shut the hell up about it. I've heard Philippa Boyens explain it a little on the Lord of the Rings commentaries, but beyond that, there hasn't been much. I think she also brought up something like the Eagles not being like the "Middle Earth Taxi"?

I think we could use an explanation there. But to be fair, it hasn't hurt the movies one bit in my opinion.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3540
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
There's a rumor that Gandalf always intended to use the eagles,  and that's why he said, "fly, you fools".

Soguru

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »
There's a rumor that Gandalf always intended to use the eagles,  and that's why he said, "fly, you fools".
I thought he meant "The Fly with Jeff Goldblum, that's a damn good movie!"