login

Author Topic: LoC: Top 51 Action Movies Countdown! Part 83!  (Read 26832 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: LoC: Top 51 Action Movies Countdown! Part 83!
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2014, 09:04:18 PM »
#3 – The Avengers

138 Points, 7 lists, #1 Pak Man
   I have a plan: attack!

When the Norse god Loki steals a tesseract from the peacekeeping force S.H.I.E.L.D., as well as brainwashing some of their top agents,  S.H.I.E.L.D. director Nick Fury finds he needs to recruit a team of disparate but powerful people.  In the team is the Black Widow, a super-spy.  Captain America, a super-soldier who was frozen for almost 70 years.  Iron Man, a billionaire industrialist and inventor with a superpowered suit of armor.  And Bruce Banner, a scientist who turns into the monstrous Hulk when enraged.  Soon, they encounter the Norse god Thor, who arrived to capture his brother and return him to Asgard.  Though the team is made of powerful people, tensions and egos could tear them apart even before Loki’s plans come to fruition.

Shit Just Got Real! – Loki unleashes an army of aliens upon New York.

Pure Adrenaline Percentage –85%  This one has some big bad action scenes and, most importantly, it gets to emphasize the strengths of the different heroes and shows them working together in a way that some non-animated movies have trouble getting across.

AAAAAAAAND ACTION!
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Y1g-B8BJzwc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Y1g-B8BJzwc</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2014, 09:59:34 PM »
#2 – Raiders of the Lost Ark

189 Points, 10 lists, #2 Anais. Butterfly, Hebs, Pak Man, ScottotD
You want to talk to God? Let's go see Him together. I've got nothing better to do.

Archeologist Professor Henry “Indiana” Jones is tasked with searching for the Ark of the Covenant, the container for the remnants of the ten commandments, so that he may prevent the Nazis from finding it and turning its power into a weapon.  Along the way, he reconnects with Marion Ravenwood, the daughter of the last man who tried to find the Ark and Indiana’s former lover.  Together, the two must travel to Egypt to find its location, face villains including Jones’ arch-rival Belloq (an archeologist who finds artifacts for his own gain), and must navigate a number of death traps and sticky situations.

Shit Just Got Real! – It’s back to back set pieces when Indy is trapped in a snake-filled tomb, fights Nazis on a jet, then gets involved in the best moving vehicle fights in film.

Pure Adrenaline Percentage –90%  As mentioned above, this is a movie that keeps rolling out action sequences in a variety of ways and never fails to keep it exciting.  The film is meant to be a love letter to the serials of old, but if anything it’s actually more like a film that delivers the promise of rollicking adventure that the originals never could quite keep.

AAAAAAAAND ACTION!
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Pr-8AP0To4k" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Pr-8AP0To4k</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2014, 10:12:23 PM »
#1 – Die Hard

206 Points, 10 Lists, #1 Anais.Butterfly, Cole Stratton, Hebs, Johnny Unusual, ScottotD
Welcome to the party, pal!

New York police officer John McClane crashes an LA office party on Christmas Eve in an attempt to reconcile with his wife.  What he doesn’t expect is when he wanders away from the party, the other party goers are held hostage by Hans Gruber and his armed men.  John soon finds himself alone against the gang of extremely well-trained criminals and John has no weapons, no plan and no shoes.  He is able to contact a cop on the outside, who becomes his only contact to the outside world in a quickly escalating situation.

Shit Just Got Real! – “Who said we we’re terrorists?”  Well, several characters, but you weren’t around those scenes to see it.  Still, good on you for correcting them.

Pure Adrenaline Percentage –85% There’s a reason this one is both number one and influenced action movies that came after.  The movie has some incredible action pieces, but it is also given more energy due to the hero not being superhuman (though that changes by the fourth one) and being quite vulnerable typified by the bare feet that leads to a moment in the film where we see a different kind of action star.

AAAAAAAAND ACTION!
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GL78WGjktX4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GL78WGjktX4</a>
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:23:41 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 325
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2014, 10:12:37 PM »

Where's #1? DON'T KEEP ME WAITING LIKE ARGYLE!!!!
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2014, 10:13:07 PM »

Where's #1? DON'T KEEP ME WAITING LIKE ARGYLE!!!!

Damnit. You posted it while I was posting Argyle. Christmas in Hollis, indeed.
My goodness!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »
Christmas in Hollis is a great song.  Have you ever heard the song that Christmas in Hollis sampled, the completely awesome and totally not made up Back Door Santa by Clarence Carter.  Best song ever about holiday sodomy!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EtTfosvGdTY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EtTfosvGdTY</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3892
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2014, 10:31:43 PM »
Awesome list!

Here's my list - As you can see, I need a little bit more than the promise of action to lure me into a movie (And I have a kinda odd taste in movies to begin with) but all told I did pretty well. My top 2 made the top 3, which isn't bad, considering.

1. The Avengers (2012)
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black pearl
4. Kung-Fu Hustle
5. Kill Bill
6. X2: X-Men United
7. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
8. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
9. Sin City
10. The Matrix
11. Terminator
12. Aliens
13. Spider-Man 2
14. Hot Fuzz
15. X-Men
16. Predator
17. Shaolin Soccer
18. The Incredible Hulk
19. Blade
20. Robocop
21. Rush Hour
22. Jackie Chan's First Strike
23. Predator 2
24. Alien Vs. Predator
25. Sucker Punch

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »
BTW, I want to thank everyone who took part in this list: Soguru, anais.butterfly, ColeStratton, ScottotD, George Harrison, Pak-Man, stethacantus, CJones, Hebs, Charles Hussein Castle, and Relaxing Dragon.  I hope you guys enjoyed the list!  I'll put up the poll for the next one soon (and then after that, sometime in mid-January, Compound will do his annual riffs you want to see).

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »
Here's mine:

1.   Die Hard
2.   Children of Men
3.   Big Trouble in Little China
4.   In Bruges
5.   The Professionals (Burt Lancaster, not The Professional with Jean Reno)
6.   Ronin
7.   Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
8.   Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
9.   Silverado
10.   District 9
11.   The Hunt for Red October
12.   Desperado
13.   Minority Report
14.   Tremors
15.   The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
16.   Raiders of the Lost Ark
17.   Hot Fuzz
18.   Willow
19.   Hard Boiled
20.   The Bourne Identity
21.   Bullitt
22.   Lethal Weapon 2
23.   The Raid: Redemption
24.   The Road Warrior
25.   Goldfinger

A lot of hybrid choices -- I mean, if I was just going with pure action movies I loved when I was 14, there would be a lot of Steven Seagal on this list and I would be embarrassed for everyone. Still, I find every movie on this list thrilling...
My goodness!

MightyJack

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2014, 11:21:15 PM »

1.   Enter the Dragon
2.   Shoot ‘Em Up
3.   RoboCop
4.   The Road Warrior
5.   Marvel’s Avengers

6.   X-Men Days of Future Past
7.   Resident Evil Apocalypse
8.   Big Trouble in Little China
9.   Under Siege
10.   Chocolate (2008)
11.   Kick Ass
12.   Captain America: Winter Soldier
13.   Leon: The Professional
14.   Escape From New York

15.   Duel
16.   Terminator 2
17.   Underworld
18.   Fists of Fury
19.   Resident Evil
20.   Dredd
21.   Die Hard
22.   Kung Fu Hustle
23.   The Dark Knight
24.   Goldfinger

25.   The Incredibles

Ones that I hated cutting: Iron Monkey, La Femme Nikita, GoldenEye and other Bond films, Deathrace 2000 (original), Spider-Man. X-Men First Class, Wanted and many other comic book flicks. And every action film Milla Jovovich has ever starred in. Not because they are good movies necessarily, but because she kicks ass!

I also wished I had slotted a Godzilla movie in there. I forgot about the Big G until it as too late. Not that it would have mattered, but my soul would be cleaner if I had.  ;)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1649
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2014, 11:51:51 PM »
I *knew* my 1 and 2 would get 1 and 2, shocked someone else put Big Trouble in Little China higher than I did though.  Bless you Cole.  Thanks for doing this and persevering though the forum issues, great list.

1. Die Hard
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. John Carpenter's The Thing
4. Ghostbusters
5. Big Trouble in Little China
6. Star Wars (A New Hope)
7. Jaws
8. Robocop
9. Shaun of the Dead
10. The Dark Knight Rises
11. Se7en
12. Hot Fuzz
13. Escape from New York
14. The Killer
15. The Empire Strikes Back
16. Kick-Ass
17. Predator
18. The Avengers (2012)
19. Army of Darkness
20. Tremors
21. The Raid
22. The World's End
23. Enter the Dragon
24. Planet Terror
25. X-Men 2

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:06:04 AM by ScottotD »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2014, 02:39:05 AM »
OK, I was waiting for this for a while, but I was shocked that NO ONE voted for either Point Break or Road House.  I've seen neither but I hear so much love for both.  Road House seems to be the one people love ironically and unironically: it is ridiculous in a way that isn't exactly intended but is still a pleasure to watch and Point Break has some beloved action scenes and from what I hear there is a lot of unironic love for it.  Plus, it is Katheryn Bigelow's first smash hit (I think Near Dark came first but was more of a cult hit).

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1649
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2014, 08:10:47 AM »
Road House was one of the movies I cut
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2014, 02:11:39 PM »
Mmmm, now that's an adrenaline soaked finish I can live with. It also reminds me that this is the time of year I need to get my Die Hard poster back on the wall ('tis the season!).

Here's my list. Apparently I did include District 9, Leon, and Kill Bill, and then totally forgot about it when actually reading the thread here.

1. The Matrix
2. Heat
3. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
4. Hot Fuzz

5. Run Lola Run
6. Black Hawk Down
7. Aliens
8. Die Hard
9. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
10. The Raid
11. Drunken Master II
12. Enter the Dragon

13. Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)
14. Shoot ‘Em Up
15. District 9
16. Predator

17. Running Scared
18. Kill Bill
19. 13 Assassins
20. Leon
21. Kung Fu Hustle

22. Payback
23. The Bourne Ultimatum
24. John Wick
25. District B13

A few of my bottom choices were somewhat more personal, so I'm not surprised to see them not make the cut. Bourne Ultimatum especially, even though I consider that to be the finest use of the ever-hated shaky-cam ever. The fairytale insanity of Running Scared isn't quite everyone's bag either, although folks should check that one out if they haven't, and not just to see Paul Walker give a legitimately great performance. The original Gone in 60 Seconds not being here is a bit of a dissapointment, but I chalk that one up to too many people only having seen the remake. People, seriously, see the original. It's running time is literally half car chase, and it's basically the final word on urban car chases.

Black Hawk Down was my war movie selection, and while it's pretty heavy, it's also a damned entertaining action movie. Modern military action basically started with this one, in terms of how soldiers (especially the more elite unites), tactics, weaponry, and general fighting cinematography is portrayed. The more I get into his filmography the more I discover just how hit and miss Ridley Scott is, but when he hits he swings for the fences, and this is a sure-fire hit.

It's a downer not seeing Run Lola Run make it, though. It's just a breathtakingly unique film, and admittedly a very unusual sort of action movie, but that's all it really is. The energy it projects just leaps from the screen, and it'll do a lot more to pump you up than most any fist fight, gun fight, or car chase.

All in all, though, it's a fine list that's been compiled here, and even given me a few titles I'm going to have to Netflix very soon. Thanks a bunch for putting this together, JU!

Soguru

« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2014, 01:02:58 PM »
25. The Running Man
24. Heat
23. Saving Private Ryan
22. Commando
21. The Adventures of Remo Williams
20. Clear and Present Danger
19. Escape from New York
18. Dredd
17. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
16. 300
15. Desperado