Author Topic: MST3K - Season 11 and Kickstarter Info  (Read 118151 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked:
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: Joel MST3K Reboot rumors
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 04:09:50 PM »
And what do you mean by BANNED!?
Beefer likes to ban everybody, and I Mean EVERYBODY :speechless:
Trolling. Got it.

I've been proudly trolling online since 1989! BBS all the way, baby! My first screen name? MattCo27.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »
Trolling. Got it.
Not really or HE would have been banned a looooong time ago 8-)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked:
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »
Trolling. Got it.
Not really or HE would have been banned a looooong time ago 8-)

Yeah if I wanted to troll this forum I'd find a much more trolly way to do it.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »
Is someone else bank rolling this? Obviously it didn't work for CT or they would still be doing it. They gave up on studio riffs because of the expense. 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked:
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 04:51:01 PM »
Is someone else bank rolling this? Obviously it didn't work for CT or they would still be doing it. They gave up on studio riffs because of the expense.

I have a feeling that, and of course the ownership of the brand shadowrama characters etc being in the hands of a one Jim Mallon, is pretty much what's holding up any real announcement of this.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 07:05:38 PM »
I can't see this flying. I loved the 3 Cinematic Titanic live shows I got to go see, but the sporadic (at best) release of DVDs was always frustrating (as is the fact that they riffed so many movies live that we'll likely never see released in any form). And the idea Joel originally put forth of doing this reboot with a new host and new voices of the bots just doesn't excite me. Hope I'm wrong and would give it a try. The original cast with a regular release schedule of some kind might get me excited, but expanding Cinematic Titanic to a regular show with some skits and a release schedule would have interested me more as MST3K is perfect with what we already have available.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »
I loved the 3 Cinematic Titanic live shows I got to go see, but the sporadic (at best) release of DVDs was always frustrating (as is the fact that they riffed so many movies live that we'll likely never see released in any form).
This is my biggest issue and I never got to go to a live show :-[
If this does somehow get off the ground, I sure Hope that they get put on DVD at some point, or at least a VOD ISO to Burn file :-\
If Joel was smart, he might wanna contact his former 'head writer' there at Rifftrax to maybe help get some pointers or even some help getting this rebooted :o

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 07:47:45 PM »
If this does somehow get off the ground, I sure Hope that they get put on DVD at some point...
Well, I gotta think that Shout! would be all over the money that additional new DVDs (or Blurays, as any "new" episodes would be likely be more HD friendly) of the reboot would bring in...and a cut of that new DVD/Bluray money might be what gets the previously reluctant rights holder/owner of BBI into acquiescing a portion of his rights (at least on new content). In other words, short of a reboot being as terrible as that attempt at the bot only web series, I'm sure DVDs/Blurays of the reboot would be available for purchase at some point.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked:
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
I still feel it necessary to state that I will NOT simply hate or be against something simply because it's "not the same people" or whatever... That would be along the lines of "I hate Tom Servo's new voice!" and all that.... but I also simply just don't want the whole thing to end up along the lines of just unnecessary rehashing and pandering... to the point where I'd actually end up loathing something with the MST3k name on it.

If there's new people and the same title, it wouldn't necessarily be bad... but as soon as those new people start saying "Ayuk-ayeee!" and "Watch out for snakes!" it's pretty much just needless pandering and as un-creative as you can get.  Making NEW running gags and NEW references to prior films these NEW people watch... I'm fine with that as long as it's done well and, well... NATURAL.  If it feels forced, it just doesn't work. the first few studio dvd's of CT sadly had that feeling like they were trying to force the funny and force the call-backs, as if "Hey, see? We're those people and we did that way back when, remember? You think it's funny!"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:31:13 PM by TheUnabeefer »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »

I have a feeling that, and of course the ownership of the brand shadowrama characters etc being in the hands of a one Jim Mallon, is pretty much what's holding up any real announcement of this.

Joel's been talking about crowd sourcing at the conventions, so I have a feeling we'll ALL be bankrolling it.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked:
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 01:56:07 PM »

Joel's been talking about crowd sourcing at the conventions, so I have a feeling we'll ALL be bankrolling it.

Okay, then the big hurdle would be getting Mallon to agree to it all.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 03:38:44 PM »
It's my understanding that Joel owns Shadowrama, which is why he could use it in Cinematic Titanic and other little projects he's worked on.

That just leaves the whole MST3K framing device. I'm sure Mallon would be willing to put a price tag on that...

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »
"The Phantom would eventually reveal himself to be Dr. Erhardt, Clayton's first assistant, who disappeared without explanation." 

Dr. Earhardt was killed in Episode 313, Earth vs The Spider.  It was hilari horrific!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked:
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 06:14:24 PM »
It's my understanding that Joel owns Shadowrama, which is why he could use it in Cinematic Titanic and other little projects he's worked on.

That just leaves the whole MST3K framing device. I'm sure Mallon would be willing to put a price tag on that...

I thought it was because he DIDN'T own it that they had to do a different layout instead of the seat backs.... Same with ICWxp, they had to change up the look of it.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 06:35:24 PM »
Joel has to be looking at the success of Rifftrax's Kickstarters and feeling a little bit jealous. 'Course, there are more than enough of us who'd happily donate to both Rifftrax and a new MST3k.

I think the odds of seeing the CT folks being involved aren't quite as high as people assume. When Bill tweeted on Thanksgiving about his mixed feelings towards the show, Trace, Frank and Josh all RT'ed support and mentioning their own separate projects.

If Joel wants alums to be involved, he's probably going to have to sit down with Jim and do something about the royalties (if it's even possible). Smoothing that out would probably be best for everyone, and a helluva olive branch.