Author Topic: MST3K - Season 11 and Kickstarter Info  (Read 117892 times)

Eric Pode of Croydon

MST3K - Season 11 and Kickstarter Info
« on: November 29, 2014, 05:50:50 AM »
" if Hodgson has his way, the riffing will continue beyond Thanksgiving, courtesy of an all-new online Mystery Science Theater 3000 reboot. "Oh man, we're working on it," Hodgson says of the latest news. "I had hoped we'd be able to talk about it at Thanksgiving. I don't think we'll be able to close by that time. But we're really trying. I think about it every day and work on it a little every day. One way or the other, it's going to happen I think.""

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/mystery-science-theater-3000-bad-movies
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:13:21 AM by Pak-Man »

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Joel MST3K Reboot rumors
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 06:29:59 AM »
Yeah I heard he was trying to reboot it a while back..
I'd like to see him use the original cast if possible, or at least the cast from Cinematic Titanic :o

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 06:33:52 AM »
If it's internet only, maybe it'll be shown on Pluto TV channel 400 8)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked:
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »
Call me a buzzkill, but I can very easily see this as ending up a really really bad idea.  It could either work perfectly or just not, one or the other.

It could be hard to capture that perfect "thing" that actually made the original work.  It very clearly wasn't just the formula or the timing of it all or anything replicatable that can just be re-done and tada it works....  but that's not to say I don't HOPE it perfectly recaptures the entire glory and wonder and "it somehow just took hold and fits" of the original.

...but if either the damn internet animated shorts or Cinematic Titanic is any indication of how they'd try to re-do MST3k, it'll fall flat on its face.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:45:06 AM »
if either the damn internet animated shorts or Cinematic Titanic is any indication of how they'd try to re-do MST3k, it'll fall flat on its face.
THIS is what I'm afraid of as well :speechless:

Eric Pode of Croydon

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 10:02:32 AM »
if either the damn internet animated shorts or Cinematic Titanic is any indication of how they'd try to re-do MST3k, it'll fall flat on its face.
THIS is what I'm afraid of as well :speechless:
I third this, but at least we can choose to watch or not.

I can't believe the Rifftrax guys would be involved with this as they are having too much success recently, so it probably is going to be a CT rehash [spoilered for just my opinion]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »
I had hoped we would hear more at the end of the Turkey Day marathon but sounds like there's logistical stuff they need to sort out still.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 10:21:09 AM »
Yeah this has been coming for a while. What is Joel trying to achieve here that he couldn't do with Cinematic Titanic? All I can think of is ownership and the name.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked:
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
I don't mind more people being INVOLVED... but not in the on-screen riffing. Host segments and writing are one thing for a mass of people....

Actually, to me it's WHO would be involved in the writing that would make it either work or not work.  Without both Paul and Mike involved in the writing process, to me it might just come off as a cheap knock-off.  They seemed like the core parts of the writing element that really took certain jokes and bits and gave them that "POOM!" that really knocked it out of the park.

Sadly, Mike clearly wouldn't be involved in that aspect...but I can hope for Paul.

We'll just have to wait and see.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 11:37:51 AM »
I still think if there is any kind of reboot, the entire original cast MUST get together for at least MST3K: THE SEQUEL first. A nice reunion film. And that means Mike, Kevin, and Bill too. After that they could consider the reboot with a new cast.

Here's my idea for a reunion movie.

MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE NEXT EXPERIMENT

Joel, Mike, Crow, Tom, Gypsy, and Cam-bot awaken on the Satellite of Love II without any memory of how they got there or who built it. Pearl, Observer, and Bobo have also returned to their castle without knowing how they got there, only that a mysterious character called "The Phantom" has ordered them to continue Dr. Forrester's original experiments.

I doubt Joel and Mike would go into the theater at the same time, but taking turns throughout the movie could work, with maybe the four in the theater for the film's final act as a "special occasion" event. Maybe Trace and Bill could take turns as Crow, but Kevin should remain Tom, as I personally never cared for Josh in the role.

Anyway, throughout the movie, Joel and Mike would be trying to find a way off the SOL II, and then TV's Frank would return as a Soultaker. He too is working for the Phantom and mentions that they have something special planned.

The Phantom would eventually reveal himself to be Dr. Erhardt, Clayton's first assistant, who disappeared without explanation. And Pearl would also recognize him. He explains that he was working on a time machine, and that he was actually sent back in time. There he became Pearl's lover, and is therefore Clayton's biological father. And with Frank's help, Erhardt manages to clone Clayton, return his soul, and bring him back to life.

This would've set up a sort of villains united plot to take over the universe, but I doubt a series would follow. One reunion movie is all I could ask for really.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:54:11 AM by Toyland Chairman »
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked:
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »
Yeah that would never happen. BANNED!

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »

Nope. The cast aren't committed enough.

And what do you mean by BANNED!?

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 01:38:48 PM »
Beefer likes to ban everybody, and I Mean EVERYBODY :speechless:

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked:
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »

Nope. The cast aren't committed enough.

When I am global moderator you will all be banned. #YesAllBanned #HandsUpYoureBanned

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »
Beefer likes to ban everybody, and I Mean EVERYBODY :speechless:
Trolling. Got it.