login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 575315 times)

Offline Lesbunny

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 169
  • Dunno why I came back
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6420 on: March 28, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »
First death in Nier was because I got in over my head and was grinding out EXP in a really hard spot. My second death was a suicide robot running into me just as I retrieved my corpse. THANKFULLY, I managed to retrieve that body and not lose all of my lovely lovely plugin chips, so nothing was lost. Got pretty lucky. I had a ton of nice chips that had been letting me take on stuff of a way higher level.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2361
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6421 on: March 28, 2018, 11:19:51 PM »
Picked up the South Park DLC "From Dusk to Casa Bonita"

Couldn't resist buying a bonus level based on a bizarre theme restaurant I've actually been to. Mostly been judging it on how accurately they recreated based on a memory of around ten years ago. They got the exterior wrong, since the real one is literally in the middle of a crappy looking strip mall, but they captured the spirit of the place.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2286
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6422 on: April 01, 2018, 07:07:36 PM »
Dear Esther: Landmark Edition

The graphics and sound are both clearer in this update, going through it now with the commentary turned on.  Seems that with the commentary by the devs turned on you don't get the normal narration as well, so you've got to walk through the game once before turning on the commentary.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 4367
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #6423 on: April 02, 2018, 05:52:01 AM »
Played Overcooked on the weekend.  If you don't know this one, it is a hectic and silly cooking game where you and your friends must work in a kitchen and operate as a smooth machine to get food out.  To prevent the apocalypse.  It's delightful and the perfect co-operative party game.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fN8BinGyN1w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fN8BinGyN1w</a>

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1228
« Reply #6424 on: April 02, 2018, 07:56:04 AM »
I’m not exactly sure why I love the arena battles in FFXV so much, but I do. It’s so simple, but so emotionally rewarding. All you do is bet on which group of monsters you think will win, with up to five monsters in a group, and up to four groups at a time (maybe 5, I forget). The odds of a particular group winning are listed next to their name. That number acts as a multiplier for how much money you bet. The higher the number, the less likely they will win but the more money you get if they do. Their condition is also listed, which seems to be a random meter of how much stamina and how much Hp they start with. I don’t think that’s factored into the odds. The odds also don’t seem to factor in weaknesses to certain attacks, which makes battles more interesting.

Once the match starts you have no control except to blow these stat boosting horns every 15 seconds or so. You have to choose whether to boost strength, defense, get rid of ailments, or recover some HP. But instead of just pressing a button, you have to mash X as fast as you can in order to help your chosen monster that you have developed a quick affinity for. It gets me talking to the screen with exclamations if joy or frustration, something that I almost never do. The mini game gives you just enough information and just enough control to keep it fun and exciting. Unlike the arena battles in Shadow or War, which felt too out of my hands and therefore less exciting to watch.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2535
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6425 on: April 02, 2018, 08:42:59 AM »
That sounds a bit like the gambling in Dragon Warrior IV, which kept me busy for hours. I should probably be glad I have video games to act as a buffer between my apparent gambling addiction and the real world.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6426 on: April 02, 2018, 04:39:55 PM »
That sounds a bit like the gambling in Dragon Warrior IV, which kept me busy for hours. I should probably be glad I have video games to act as a buffer between my apparent gambling addiction and the real world.

Ah yes. I am probably just feeling the joys of gambling. I don’t gamble with money. I don’t like games of pure chance. But here I feel like I have some sort of control, which is probably what poker players feel.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 186
  • "They belong here more than we"
« Reply #6427 on: April 13, 2018, 09:26:53 PM »
I got the demo of Detective Pikachu and... I did like it a little, but I was left feeling mostly bored by it. I think I'd much rather play an actual Pokemon game... and I've never been a fan of any of the games.

Offline Lesbunny

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 169
  • Dunno why I came back
« Reply #6428 on: April 14, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »
I got the demo of Detective Pikachu and... I did like it a little, but I was left feeling mostly bored by it. I think I'd much rather play an actual Pokemon game... and I've never been a fan of any of the games.

But Detective Pikachu's sword hand twitches!

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 444
« Reply #6429 on: April 14, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »

Ah yes. I am probably just feeling the joys of gambling. I don’t gamble with money. I don’t like games of pure chance. But here I feel like I have some sort of control, which is probably what poker players feel.

I hate gambling, but I enjoy the joys of cheating. Buy the vuvuzelas (that's not what they call them in game), and cheat like the wind! Seriously, I went from 100 to about 20,000 medals in about 20 minutes.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6430 on: April 14, 2018, 05:31:58 PM »

I hate gambling, but I enjoy the joys of cheating. Buy the vuvuzelas (that's not what they call them in game), and cheat like the wind! Seriously, I went from 100 to about 20,000 medals in about 20 minutes.

I don't see it as cheating, it's a mechanic.  I'd probably like gambling more if I could blow horns at people and do better.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2535
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6431 on: April 15, 2018, 12:32:59 AM »

I don't see it as cheating, it's a mechanic.  I'd probably like gambling more if I could blow horns at people and do better.
I think I have a new Poker strategy!

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #6432 on: April 19, 2018, 09:46:03 AM »
I got Shovel Knight for my 2DS and it's been both a little bit frustrating, but also I have to remind myself I've beaten this game before so I should be able to conquer it again some day.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6433 on: April 24, 2018, 09:52:52 PM »
Tried out Battletech on steam, but ended up refunding it before my 2 hours were up. The RPS review made me wary. It said that the game felt slow and a bit boring, which I could definitely see even in that first mission where there are a limited number of mechs. Maybe it gets better, and if someone here ends up loving it I might try it again, but I felt it was best to play it safe and refund it.

Instead I’m spending more time with Slay the Spire. A great combination of rougelike and card game. I liked the idea of card games like Hearthstone, but never wanted to spend a ton of time grinding to build a perfect deck. So I love that you build a randomized deck based on chance, and making due with the limited choices you have.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #6434 on: April 25, 2018, 08:38:06 PM »
I was getting bored with my games on my 2DS so I went back to Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for a while. Even though I've conquered it several times by now, it's a game you can play again and again, thanks to the game play mechanics, great music and great characters.