login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 567002 times)

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 171
  • "They belong here more than we"
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6390 on: March 06, 2018, 02:57:41 PM »
Been working on Super Mario 3D Land some more and.... sigh.... I swear on this game, especially at the castle level of Special world 7 they dialed up the difficulty from a 7 to about a 15. There's a LOT of levels where you get... chased/followed by "evil" Mario, because I don't know what he's called, but that little bastard can really mess your stuff up in a real hurry. Not only that, but some levels cut the time you get down to about 30 seconds... while also being chased by "evil" Mario. I think I'm really starting to hate this game, not so much because of the intense difficulty of some of the special world levels, but because some levels have reduced my stock of Mario lives from 50-something to less than 20. That's how hard some of these levels are, and I am not an amateur Mario player. I dunno, maybe I just do better on 2D Mario games, or any games where I don't have to worry as much about more than two dimensions.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2507
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6391 on: March 08, 2018, 08:18:53 AM »
So on my Fire Emblem Revelation playthrough, I'm playing as a default male Corrin, and I've married Hana. It just occurred to me that I have a perfect and stupid origin story for the name of their daughter.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1219
« Reply #6392 on: March 08, 2018, 09:12:18 AM »
So on my Fire Emblem Revelation playthrough, I'm playing as a default male Corrin, and I've married Hana. It just occurred to me that I have a perfect and stupid origin story for the name of their daughter.

Corhan?

Offline Lesbunny

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 149
  • Dunno why I came back
« Reply #6393 on: March 08, 2018, 09:20:03 AM »

Corhan?

Kana. It's even better, because the Japanese name for Corrin is Kamui.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2267
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6394 on: March 09, 2018, 06:05:19 AM »
After playing Subnautica I thought I'd play No Man's Sky for a while since there have been several updates since the last time I played it.  I forgot about the stupid thing it has where you have to hold down the button for a few seconds to do just about everything, got so annoying I had to quit after 5 minutes.  It makes some sense to have to hold the button down when constructing something large, but not every single thing, making choices from a menu or picking something up off the ground should happen with a normal click.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #6395 on: March 09, 2018, 11:24:13 PM »
So I was playing Animal Crossing New Leaf earlier and again... the ONLY reason, the ONLY reason I play that game at all is not that I don't get a whole lot out of it, but at least it doesn't aggravate the living hell out of me like the special 8 worlds in Super Mario 3D Land. Anyways, today, this guy had me go around town and get signatures for a comedy club. I'm like, okay dude, as long as you keep the humor family friendly, but this being Animal Crossing I don't think I'd worry about that too much.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 38
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6396 on: March 10, 2018, 02:46:59 AM »
So I got this:

It's an NES Advanced Video System. What it is is basically a reproduced NES that
  • has four controller ports
  • is compatible with the entirety of the NES library, including homebrew carts
  • is compatible with the entirety of the Famicom library, including homebrew carts
  • has a 720p HDMI output
  • is powered by USB and can link up to a computer in order to update its firmware
  • has a place to save your game scores
  • has a place where you can enter game genie and pro action replay codes
It costs $185 from Retro USB, but if you love NES games, it is damn well worth it! This is not some cheap knock-off; the AVS is the real deal with real NES hardware and not emulation!

I'm playing old-school and homebrew games on it right now!

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #6397 on: March 10, 2018, 10:44:04 AM »
Hmmm, I might plunk down the money for one in a heartbeat... IF I had any NES carts, but unfortunately I don't have any at all anymore. Besides, one of my most favorite games I'd want to play on it is completely out of reach, financially speaking. I swear... look up the price for "Metal Storm" on places like Amazon or Ebay.

Offline Lesbunny

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Dunno why I came back
« Reply #6398 on: March 10, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
Picked up Rhythm Heaven Megamix for the 3DS.

That game is frigging weird.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #6399 on: March 10, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »
Is it anything like Final Fantasy Theatrhythm?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2507
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6400 on: March 10, 2018, 11:46:45 PM »
Yes and no. It's not about following the music as much as it is about finding the rhythm. And yeah, it's a little weird in a good way. Like Theatrhythm by way of Warioware.

Offline Lesbunny

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Dunno why I came back
« Reply #6401 on: March 11, 2018, 10:05:38 AM »
Yes and no. It's not about following the music as much as it is about finding the rhythm. And yeah, it's a little weird in a good way. Like Theatrhythm by way of Warioware.

The aesthetic it goes for is pretty damn perfect. Some of the games keep messing me up, a lot of times I do better while not looking at the screen.

Offline Lesbunny

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Dunno why I came back
« Reply #6402 on: March 15, 2018, 08:14:20 PM »
I'm not sure if Megamix is actually just a combination of all the Rhythm Heaven games or if it's just a selection of popular ones, but I am so happy that Hole In One and Ringside are in it. By far my favourite games.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2267
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6403 on: March 18, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »
The recent update to Obduction is supposed to have added some new content that explains a little more of the story, anyone gone back and played it again?  I'm wondering if it's worth playing again just for the new bits.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1219
« Reply #6404 on: March 18, 2018, 03:40:43 PM »
The recent update to Obduction is supposed to have added some new content that explains a little more of the story, anyone gone back and played it again?  I'm wondering if it's worth playing again just for the new bits.

First I've heard of it.  I'd be interested to know if it's worth it as well.  Maybe some day if I get a VR set I'd go back.