Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 588561 times)

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3919
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6270 on: January 08, 2018, 10:47:55 AM »
I just came back from MAGFest 2018, and among my haul are
  • A homebrew NES Cart of a Rock/Paper/Scissors falling-block game à la Tetris. Website
  • Ganbare Goemon 2 for the Famicom Wiki Article
  • A Legend of Zelda Hylian Shield Pint Glass
  • Both CDs from the Zelda-inspired Power Metal group Master Sword
  • Super Guitar Bros.' Ocarina of Time cover album
Not a bad haul, if you ask me!
Neat.  I had less of haul than last year when I left.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 247
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #6271 on: January 08, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »
You are so lucky if you got to go to Magfest. Damn.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 71
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6272 on: January 09, 2018, 07:53:52 AM »
I just came back from MAGFest 2018, and among my haul are
  • A homebrew NES Cart of a Rock/Paper/Scissors falling-block game à la Tetris. Website
  • Ganbare Goemon 2 for the Famicom Wiki Article
  • A Legend of Zelda Hylian Shield Pint Glass
  • Both CDs from the Zelda-inspired Power Metal group Master Sword
  • Super Guitar Bros.' Ocarina of Time cover album
Not a bad haul, if you ask me!
Neat.  I had less of haul than last year when I left.

Not only that, but I bought even more as gifts!
  • Japanese-translated Famicom cartridges of Haunted Halloween '85 and '86 respectively, for NNNNNNNNNN and Toriena (These are both homebrew and made in the USA; these two carts are not available in Japan unless huge shipping costs are incurred)
  • Slime Rancher stickers for Sammus
My financial situation allows me to afford all this, so I'm good!

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #6273 on: January 09, 2018, 08:36:57 AM »
Fiancée has been pushing me to play more Black Desert Online and actually play Fallout 4. BDO is fun, probably the most fun I've had in an mmo since I stopped playing ESO. The combat is fun as hell, the character options are interesting, its main problems are translation issues and a not clear direction on what to do. It's gotten better, but it's not perfect.

Fallout 4 is one of those games that I can't decide if I like it or not. It's ok, it's not bad. It's got a return to the Fallout world, which is really great. However, playing it is like drinking store brand coke. It's similar enough to give you a taste of what better versions are like, but leaves you wondering why you're not just drinking actual coke. It makes me want to play New Vegas again.

Offline SJP

• Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #6274 on: January 15, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »
Well, I managed to land a PS VR for Christmas, and while I can't be on it as much as I would like (my wife says I need to make sure I spend time with the actual family ;)), I have to say I'm very much enjoying it.  I'm big on 3D stuff anyway, so I figured I would, but the headset really is impressive.  It's comfortable, lightweight, and even though I know I'm looking at a screen an inch away from my face, the effect is very impressive.

So far, I've tried Arkham VR, Bound, some Air Force skydiving freebie, RE 7, and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, and I've found all of them to be cool in their own way.  Batman was short, but immersive (though trying to do some stuff while sitting on a couch was difficult; my hands kept hitting cushions while trying to reach low switches and buttons), Bound is not first person and an interesting way of setting up perspectives, the Air Force thing is interesting but difficult to control, and RE 7 I played just a little bit (didn't even get to anything spooky and it was already making me feel dirty walking around that house).

Until Dawn, though, is a real treat.  Sure, it's just a shooting gallery game and is about as horror fluff as you can get, but it does a fantastic job of making you feel like you're really there.  And you even have to move your head to avoid traps and enemies, other than just shoot at stuff.  If you can handle it, I recommend it.

In the meantime, though, I can only play it in short bursts due to other responsibilties, which is probably good for my eyes anyway.  Still, most comfortable 3D I've ever experienced, so mileage may vary.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 498
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6275 on: January 16, 2018, 06:12:04 AM »
I can imagine that RE7 must be pretty bad-ass in VR. Hell, even without VR, 7 is the best Resident Evil game in a LONG time.

Offline SJP

• Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #6276 on: January 16, 2018, 09:42:07 AM »
I can imagine that RE7 must be pretty bad-ass in VR. Hell, even without VR, 7 is the best Resident Evil game in a LONG time.

I'm still waiting to pick it up officially (I rented it and beat it once without the VR, but wanted to go through the whole thing again with it when I had the time), but I just wanted to see how it all worked.  Most of the games I've played use the Motion Controllers, but RE7 uses the Dualshock exclusively.  It's weird at first using the controller to move forward with one stick and flicking the other one to "reset" the front view, but once you get used to it, it's just strange how easy it is to start getting lost in an old, abandoned house.  If nothing else, it really gives you a sense of perspective and direction in a way that a flat picture can't convey.  Granted, I am not recommending every game be in VR from here on out, but I am certainly enjoying the novelty of it for the time being.

Sadly, though, my wife enjoyed the Air Force skydiving one, but she had to yank off the glasses during Until Dawn.  'Riding' the roller coaster gave her motion sickness.  Weirdly, she's not a horror fan, but I didn't expect her to get queasy from fake motion before the clowns started attacking.  And that's just level 1; apparently it gets worse from there in terms of enemies.

EDIT: I just mentioned the above just to warn people prone to motion sickness that you should be cautious with the VR.  I'm guessing tech is going to get better as time goes on and that kind of issue will go away, but I know it's not something I'm affected by all that much.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:05:03 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1271
« Reply #6277 on: January 19, 2018, 07:22:56 AM »
Not a video game but close enough. Got this high score at my local pinball arcade / laundromat on my favorite table. I was one or two shots from destroying the ring as well (really hard to do), but I choked. Still, this high score is a good 40,000,000 more than my previous score on this challenging table, so I’m proud.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2337
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6278 on: January 19, 2018, 07:31:58 AM »
I wish there were some real pinball machines near me...

I've been trying to beat Medieval Madness in pinball arcade for a year, been within one shot of winning battle for the kingdom only twice out of hundreds of games played.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6279 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:42 AM »
I wish there were some real pinball machines near me...

I've been trying to beat Medieval Madness in pinball arcade for a year, been within one shot of winning battle for the kingdom only twice out of hundreds of games played.

I really hope they release LotR for pinball arcade. I get that the rights are probably super expensive, but maybe they could do another Kickstarter.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #6280 on: January 20, 2018, 08:08:47 AM »
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/64373

Someone added Zap Rowsdower as a companion in Fallout New Vegas. Guess I need to play through that game again...

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #6281 on: January 21, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »
Was playing Double dragon 2 on my 2DS XL earlier and i was just SO depressed. There's a lot of moves I used to be able to do to easily blast through all the baddies in this game that I no longer possess the manual dexterity to do anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old, out of practice, or both.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2370
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6282 on: January 21, 2018, 12:04:34 PM »
Tried several times and failed to get anywhere in XCom 2, but that was while only playing occasionally and trading off on other games. Lately I've started playing a little most days before work and focusing on it, and I've been making real progress. I've made contact with almost every resistance group, my weapons are well upgraded, all my facilities are built and upgraded. I've only lost two soldiers. Just turned away a UFO attack with only two wounded units.

Sure I'm on easy mode, but hell I was before too and I was failing miserably.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6283 on: January 26, 2018, 08:53:12 PM »
Really, Subnautica?  No autosaves for your crash-prone game?  I just decked myself out with a bunch of cool gear.  Bleh.  But the game is cool enough for me to want to go back even after that frustration.  Guess I have to remember to save more often.  Feels like it's 1997.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #6284 on: January 26, 2018, 10:10:18 PM »
Okay a few days ago I got Super Smash Bros for the 3DS. It's been fun to play, but I'm also enjoying spectating online brawls.