login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 512201 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1094
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6060 on: December 31, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »
Jesus Christ, Thumper is intense!  Goes mighty well with the new pair of gaming headphones I got for Christmas.  My ears are bleeding, but it's a crazy good time.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6061 on: January 01, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »
Forgot I received access to the Gwent beta!  Good stuff.  It's pretty close to the original, with a few changes to keep decks from getting too powerful, like limiting the number of gold cards.  Oh, and some cards can do damage to other cards now.  The art is really cool too, with slightly animated cards. 

I'm enjoying the mechanic of knowing when to strategically lose, which carried over from the original.  Sometimes it's a tough call to make, but adds more depth to the card battling genre. 

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #6062 on: January 01, 2017, 10:57:45 PM »
With my new computer, I've been able to install and mod the fuck out of Skyrim. I particularly focused on visual and graphics mods, since I now havery a machine that can handle it. This is the result:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's runs at 50-60 fps, usually 60 unless heavy scripts are running nearby. I upped the ugrids to 7, so things would load farther away. I love my new PC.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2195
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6063 on: January 02, 2017, 12:18:28 AM »
I'll say this for The Witness. Every time I think I've hit that wall and there's nothing left for me to be able to grasp, something catches my eye and I'm back on track. When/if I finish this, I'll either be some sort of puzzle demigod or completely insane.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6064 on: January 02, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »
I'll say this for The Witness. Every time I think I've hit that wall and there's nothing left for me to be able to grasp, something catches my eye and I'm back on track. When/if I finish this, I'll either be some sort of puzzle demigod or completely insane.

You can do it!  Don't give up!  I'm really not that great at puzzles, but perseverance got me through. 

I will offer one piece of advice that may help you.  It doesn't have anything to do with how to solve a puzzle, but I'll leave it here in case you are super stuck.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6065 on: January 05, 2017, 07:53:45 AM »
So, The Witness has permeated my brain. The online reviews warned me about this. I was looking at a take-out menu that had their menu options pictured on a little honeycomb pattern, and sure enough I was mentally tracing lines through that bad boy before I could even think.

I just want to be sure I'm going the right way with one specific puzzle:

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6066 on: January 05, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »
So, The Witness has permeated my brain. The online reviews warned me about this. I was looking at a take-out menu that had their menu options pictured on a little honeycomb pattern, and sure enough I was mentally tracing lines through that bad boy before I could even think.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6067 on: January 05, 2017, 09:01:43 AM »

So far my favorite (Super spoilery) Witness experience has been this:

I haven't nearly come close to piecing it all together, but I love how the game reveals itself.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:04:16 AM by Pak-Man »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6068 on: January 05, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »

So far my favorite (Super spoilery) Witness experience has been this:

I haven't nearly come close to piecing it all together, but I love how the game reveals itself.

I also love how it revealed itself, and how it taught you, and you could feel yourself learning.  Don't expect any kind of 'oh it all makes sense now' moment as far as plot.  Just keep your mind open and enjoy the experience. 

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6069 on: January 08, 2017, 08:12:05 AM »
Not to brag (just kidding, I'm totally bragging), but I'm pretty good at the Gwent beta.  I have a deck based on resurrection which is quite powerful in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  I bait the other player for the first round, trying to get them to waste some good cards, then pass once I have a card advantage.  Most people don't save quite enough cards for the 3rd round when I'm resurrecting a bunch of cards I played early on, making them more powerful. 

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 195
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #6070 on: January 09, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
I've had it for years now, but I'm sitting down and trying to get through The Evil Within.  And I can say...it was...worth it?  Maybe?  Question mark?

Other than the fact that it seems like it stole a bunch of stuff from Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space (it even has that on rails cart ride with enemies that pop out to either side of you like a shooting gallery, just like Dead Space), it suffers from not being all that scary (yes, even despite all those reactions they sold the product on) and the last few levels being kind of unnecessary.  In the early game, the chapters are fairly short, tense, and set in places that are visually interesting with plenty of weird enemies.  Then you get to the cityscape levels, where all of a sudden the chapters take much longer to get through and seem to be there in order to make the game reach that mythical "11-20 hours" mark.  I spent an hour on a boss fight only to realize I just didn't have enough stuff to make it through the fight and had to reload a prior save just to get a few items I had somehow missed the first time around.  Also, one of the big no-nos for me in Survival Horror games is when enemies suddenly start picking up M-16s and start shooting at you.  I just can't buy monsters that barely know how to walk or swing an axe suddenly have the wherewithal to aim and fire a gun with any kind of accuracy. Sure, next time through I'll probably play it a little smarter, now that I know a lot of the stuff in there and how to fight it (and once I'm done I can actually use all that green goo upgrade stuff, since I'm opting not to use it just yet), but I really do think it's a game that suffers from just being unnecessarily long and stretching a 8-9 chapter story over 15.

It isn't a bad game, though, in all honesty (despite a sort of cheapness in how you can be killed), and it has some great visuals.  That field of sunflowers and the barn is absolutely stunning, and if anybody ever steals anything from this game, it should be how to make more scenes like that.  It's very atmospheric.

EDIT: Finished the Main Game, and I remain very much of the opinion that I'll like it more on subsequent playthroughs.  Playing with No Gel upgrades makes the game way harder than it needs to be.  However, I began one of the DLC, The Assignment, which follows the adventures of one of the other characters, and I like the DLC MUCH more than the original game.  Rather than being a half gun-fest/half-not really sneakfest, this one is all about sneaking and enemy patterns, and I found it more to my liking.  It rewards you for being stealthy, especially since you have no weaponry for much of it, and that, I think, makes it less an action game based on luck and more about using your head to solve a problem, which is nice.  It makes a great addition to the game...though the thing is, I still have to go through the main game on Akumu difficulty (upgrades and ammo are harder to find, one hit kills you, enemies cannot be stealth killed easily, if at all).  It sounds bad.  Very, very bad. :(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:40:52 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #6071 on: January 09, 2017, 01:13:43 PM »
I forgot how much fun the Need for Speed games are. Hot Pursuit is great, but it's no Most Wanted. I'd love for them to do an update of that for PC, or even just port it to the PC, because it's fucking amazing. Still, I am enjoying Hot Pursuit, the game that has been sitting in my Steam Library waiting for me to remember that I really like fun racing games(i.e. not Mariokart). The cop career is obnoxiously difficult, but the races are so much fun.

Offline The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3663
« Reply #6072 on: January 09, 2017, 02:03:39 PM »
I just can't get into vanilla racing games.  It's either kart racers or futuristic racers for me.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6073 on: January 09, 2017, 03:08:41 PM »
I agree 100% with the exception of the Burnout games. Specifically the mode where you try to cause the most expensive car wreck possible. I guess that's not really "racing" though... I also enjoy games like the Cruisin' and Outrun series, where you're just trying to get somewhere as fast as you can, with no competition. If it's competitive racing, though, yeah. Give me the most unrealistic thing you can hammer out.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #6074 on: January 09, 2017, 06:09:41 PM »
I agree 100% with the exception of the Burnout games. Specifically the mode where you try to cause the most expensive car wreck possible. I guess that's not really "racing" though... I also enjoy games like the Cruisin' and Outrun series, where you're just trying to get somewhere as fast as you can, with no competition. If it's competitive racing, though, yeah. Give me the most unrealistic thing you can hammer out.

Heck yeah! Crash mode in Burnout is the best! When my old band was on our cross country tour in 2004 we played it nonstop on our bus. Burnout 3 came out a couple days before we started the return trip. I went to a 24hr Walmart on Sept 7 & picked up a copy at midnight the day it came out.