login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 702513 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3779
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #7260 on: July 19, 2020, 02:06:18 AM »
Picked up Paper Mario: The Origami King. It's definitely a bit light on the RPG elements, but it's making me laugh which is all I really want out of my Paper Mario at the end of the day.

Also, I think a Toad stating, "I boom myself" after being unfolded from an origami flower is probably the dirtiest joke ever to make it into a Nintendo game.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3053
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7261 on: July 19, 2020, 04:59:57 PM »
The delivery of my copy is delayed, so I won't get to start it until this weekend. I've loved every Paper Mario I've played* and don't expect this one to be any different.

* I've played all except Sticker Star
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1751
« Reply #7262 on: July 20, 2020, 02:43:39 PM »
Been playing Death Stranding.  It's great!  Essentially a portaging simulator with a weird story that I really like so far.  It's also very well acted.  This is the only game I can remember where I've read every piece of optional background lore text that is provided because the world is so interesting.  I'm not terribly far in the game's main story line though, so there's still time for them to fuck it up, and answer the cool mysteries with dumb answers.  We'll see!

Also received my Valve Index headset after my Vive malfunctioned.  So fare I like it a lot better.  Much easier to change the face gaskets, and the extra field of view is nice.  Also can run at a higher refresh rate of 144 instead of 90.  I already had the Index controllers, and my base stations are compatible with the headset.  In fact, I was finally able to update their firmware now, which was weird.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7263 on: July 20, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »
The delivery of my copy is delayed, so I won't get to start it until this weekend. I've loved every Paper Mario I've played* and don't expect this one to be any different.

* I've played all except Sticker Star

If you enjoyed finding all of the missing color splotches in Color Splash (And I know I did!) you will not be disappointed. Love it so far.

JTU

« Reply #7264 on: July 20, 2020, 07:41:09 PM »
My nephew finagled me into buying an XBOX One.  I want to stay connected with him during isolation so I spent $450(!!!).  He shattered my self-image as being good at videogames.  Hockey-owned.  Forza 4-owned.  Halo 5-owned.  I have some serious homework to do.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2448
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7265 on: July 21, 2020, 09:01:28 AM »
Played Journey for the first time two days ago. Downloaded it when it was offered on PS4 for free but just now got to it, after knowing exactly zero about it before starting the game.

Came close to tears at how beautiful it was several times.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 198
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #7266 on: July 22, 2020, 03:23:22 PM »
I think a Toad stating, "I boom myself" after being unfolded from an origami flower is probably the dirtiest joke ever to make it into a Nintendo game.

You mean, out of the games that made it to the United States. The ones in Japan were quite ribald (you should've seen the Japanese version of Super Mario Kart, for instance).

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 907
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #7267 on: July 23, 2020, 12:51:26 AM »
I went back and played some Shovel Knight and... I have a much greater respect for that game than I did 6 years ago when it first came out. It is a super fun game and full of replay value.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 898
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #7268 on: July 23, 2020, 06:20:41 AM »
I think a Toad stating, "I boom myself" after being unfolded from an origami flower is probably the dirtiest joke ever to make it into a Nintendo game.

You mean, out of the games that made it to the United States. The ones in Japan were quite ribald (you should've seen the Japanese version of Super Mario Kart, for instance).
Toad lying spread eagle on the hood of his cart with Wario wearing only a thong 69ing him is something I'll never forget.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 907
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #7269 on: July 27, 2020, 10:40:35 PM »
I was playing Bushido Blade, a classic on the original Playstation. It's ridiculously complex and complicated, but it's very fun, it's got a lot of modes, and it's challenging. It's also got several modes, including a first person dueling mode. I was playing it yesterday and it was fun, because one of the quirks of the game you have to understand is that the code of Bushido involves honor. That means if you stab any of your opponents in the back... it's game over... if you do anything the game considers violating the code... it's game over. Like I said, very complicated, but a very fun game, and very realistic in that a one-hit kill is always very possible.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7270 on: July 29, 2020, 07:20:48 PM »
 I think Paper Mario: The Origami King might be my game of the year. I kinda hate the usual combat (Boss fights are awesome!), but the game seems to be really good at detecting when you're struggling with the battle system and starts giving you super-easy puzzles (With no penalty) so you can blast through. This would be a problem in a normal RPG, but Paper Mario gives me SO much more to do. The puzzles to solve, the ingeniously hidden toads and blocks, and an INCREDIBLY well-written story all give me lots to do when I'm not lining up slidey-puzzles.

On a very different note, I managed to get my hands on Ring Fit Adventure a few weeks back, and I'm still playing it. As a game, it's barely so-so, but as a workout it's more compelling than any standard workout has ever been for me. Normal workouts require you to do some sort of coordinated dance where your hands do this while your legs do that, and I have motor skill problems that make that incredibly frustrating. It turns out if both of my hands are clasping a ring, I don't have to worry about that so much. The game design itself very cleverly works in a diverse workout. Red enemies are weak against red attacks, and red attacks are all upper-body workouts, so if the game senses you need to be working your upper body more, it throws you some red enemies. There are also some nifty features that show off just how much voodoo is in those Joycons (How does it take my pulse through the IR sensor!?). If you can get it, which is still a big if, it's a great way to get fit.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 898
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #7271 on: July 31, 2020, 01:25:07 PM »
Need For Speed: Heat is a lot of fun. It feels a lot like Most Wanted did back in 2005, obviously with updated everything and online connectivity. I've only played a few hours of it, but it's a very cool game with a great sound track and some hype cars, as well as depicting police as disgusting brutal monsters who will do anything to punish a victimless crime.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #7272 on: August 02, 2020, 08:35:15 AM »
I've gotten my Jay and Silent Bob: Mall Brawl NES Cartridge in the mail a few days ago and I've been playing that game in several short bursts. Oh, and I've also been playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I think I've clocked more time in that game than in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild!

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #7273 on: Today at 05:15:46 AM »
In addition, I got Ring Fit Adventure in the mail yesterday and started playing it today. It's really an intense workout! The only thing I didn't like about it was how the leg strap kept falling off of my leg.  :(