login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 695876 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 919
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #7140 on: February 18, 2020, 10:47:35 AM »
I'm waiting to see how Doom: Eternal will run on my current system. Realistically though, I'll need to replace almost everything soon. Still working with an FX-8350 and a GTX 970.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 196
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #7141 on: February 19, 2020, 12:28:36 PM »
I'm currently playing Tesla Effect, which is the sixth game in a series of Tex Murphy games. It has unfortunate transphobia within, but other than that, it's pretty solid. It also has Kevin Murphy's voice acting talents and many MST3K references within!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3704
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7142 on: March 02, 2020, 08:52:15 AM »
ME LAST NIGHT WHILE MAKING DINNER: "Well I have some time to myself later tonight, and I can finally put Stardew Valley down, so it's time to dig in to my back catalog. I just picked up Bloodstained for cheap, so maybe it's time to see what the fuss-" *SLICES THUMBTIP WITH A CAN LID* "NO! My gaming thumb!"

Long story short, I played Picross: Lord of the Nazarick last night. It's Picross, which, if you've ever been bitten by the Picross bug, is always fantastic. This one ties into some anime series called Overlord which I will probably never watch, so all of the puzzles are of gothic anime guys and gals. The gimmick is that every puzzle unlocks the memories and some screenshots of various Overlord characters. The puzzles are good, and it includes some color Picross puzzles, which I think is a first for Jupiter's Picross games.

Hopefully my thumb will have a speedy recovery and I can start digging into Bloodstained. I tried and got a few minutes in, and it seems like a blast, but it's hard to play through a band-aid.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 347
« Reply #7143 on: March 02, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »
 Assault Android Cactus
5 year old game that has seen a number of updates since it was released. Came out just last year for the Switch, but I've been playing the PC version.
Have a love/hate relationship with 2 stick shooters. Too many are brutally difficult or else become repetitive quickly.
This one hits a happy medium. Biggest critism in reviews of the game is the battery collecting mechanism- have to collect batteries to charge weapons-acts as a kind of timer. Hated the battery collection at first- and still don't totally understand it- but it hasn't caused me to have to replay levels and boss battles as much as I was expecting.
Probably half way through the 25 game levels.
Think replay value will be somewhat high due to wanting to replay levels with different characters who have different weapons.
PC and Switch versions also have an addional 25 different/more difficult levels once you play through the original campaign (Xbox and PS4 versions don't).

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7144 on: March 08, 2020, 10:26:20 PM »
Picked up Murder By Numbers. It's a visual novel that's heavily influenced by Phoenix Wright (Right down to the Masakazu Sugimori soundtrack) and made by the creators of Hatoful Boyfriend (Which I really need to get around to someday). The game pretty much works like the investigation segments of a Phoenix Wright game, but before you gather any evidence, you have to do a Picross puzzle of that evidence.

The writing is charming and is also very much informed by Phoenix Wright. It has that, "This murder is horrible, but we're not gonna get too dark because look at this group of lunkheads" sort of tone. It's pretty much a game made just for me. I don't know if it's for anyone else, but I hope it is because I want more of it.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 196
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #7145 on: March 10, 2020, 11:44:10 AM »
Pak-man: Did you ever get around to Bloodstained?

As for what I'm playing now, I'm playing this game called Tranquil Garden which was made in RPG Maker. Now if that last clause turns you off, keep in mind that I don't like RPG Maker games either but I found this one extra compelling: there are no random battles, and unlike most other RPGs, if one of your characters die but you still win a battle, that dead character gets XP after the battle is over! Also, you can't sell your gear in every store, so that gives you an incentive to progress.

I'm enjoying it! Here are some links:

https://glassrobot.itch.io/tranquil-garden
https://store.steampowered.com/app/891520/Tranquil_Garden/

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7146 on: March 10, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »
Pak-man: Did you ever get around to Bloodstained?
Made it to the first boss. Loving it so far. It really captures that Symphony of the Night feel. I have a three day weekend coming up and I intend to do a deep dive.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 854
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #7147 on: March 12, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »
Made it to the first boss. Loving it so far. It really captures that Symphony of the Night feel. I have a three day weekend coming up and I intend to do a deep dive.
It's an awesome game. I love any game where you get to take the power of the bosses you defeat.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7148 on: March 14, 2020, 03:58:19 PM »
I'm starting to peel back the layers in Bloodstained, and I think this game is gonna give me many, many hours of play. There have been many pretenders, with varying degrees of success, but in the back of my head I think I'm going to consider this an official Castlevania game that doesn't happen to involve a Belmont or Dracula.

I also decided to dig in to the DLC Side Story in Fire Emblem: Three Houses. This one's for everyone who was tired of the whole "Rout the Enemy" trend in the 3H levels. The challenges are varied and they are legit. I dove in on hard mode, full of myself, and got trounced in the first battle. Dialed it back to normal (But kept permadeath) and it's still a significant challenge.

Now I think I'm going to dig into something a bit more casual because I'm tired of getting my butt kicked, but I don't know what, yet. I'll say one thing. This Social Distancing thing is gonna be great for my back-catalog.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7149 on: March 16, 2020, 11:37:10 AM »
Is it weird that the state of the world has put me in the mood to play Plague, Inc.? It's weird, right?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1705
« Reply #7150 on: March 16, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »
Is it weird that the state of the world has put me in the mood to play Plague, Inc.? It's weird, right?

Don't play Pathologic.  Do Not Play Pathologic.  It will not make you feel good about our chances.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2915
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7151 on: March 16, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »
My wife and I might finish Pandemic Legacy finally
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5912
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #7152 on: March 18, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »
Perfect timing.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7153 on: March 19, 2020, 03:01:54 PM »
I've decided it's important to my sanity for my son to have Animal Crossing. I'm not letting him know he has this power. I told him I'm giving it to him because he's been doing the optional virtual lessons his teacher has been assigning him. I've already preordered from Best Buy. (I'm probably also going to put in more than a few hours. Time to sell my soul to Nook and Go again!)

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 785
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #7154 on: March 19, 2020, 04:39:32 PM »
I've decided it's important to my sanity for my son to have Animal Crossing. I'm not letting him know he has this power. I told him I'm giving it to him because he's been doing the optional virtual lessons his teacher has been assigning him. I've already preordered from Best Buy. (I'm probably also going to put in more than a few hours. Time to sell my soul to Nook and Go again!)

Someone did the calculations, because Tom Nook's twitter posted a picture of an Animal Crossing water bottle on sale on Amazon for 19.99. The Bells price is listed at like 13k and some change, I believe. Judging by New Leaf, a fully upgraded house only costs about 2K USD. We've been villifying this poor man when he's been selling us MANSIONS for 2000 dollars.