Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 725082 times)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3898
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #7065 on: October 07, 2019, 12:04:55 PM »
I think what I love most about Untitled Goose Game is that while you ARE the goose, the goose's motives are as mysterious to you as they are to the humans in the game. Why does a goose want to set up a picnic? All you know is it's on the list, and anyone who stands in your way must be tormented.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6580
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #7066 on: October 07, 2019, 07:56:26 PM »
I think what I love most about Untitled Goose Game is that while you ARE the goose, the goose's motives are as mysterious to you as they are to the humans in the game. Why does a goose want to set up a picnic? All you know is it's on the list, and anyone who stands in your way must be tormented.
Untitled Goose Game is a better Joker movie than Joker 2019.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 206
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #7067 on: October 08, 2019, 10:42:56 AM »
Untitled Goose Game is a better Joker movie than Joker 2019.

Some geese just want to watch humans squirm.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1187
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #7068 on: October 08, 2019, 03:28:46 PM »
I just started Indivisible. The game is surprisingly hard, at least at the very beginning. You have to really be on point with your blocking or you get wiped out REALLY fast.

Razmi is awesome. "Hey, you wanna get discorporated and travel around in my head?", "Well, I was planning on getting eaten today, but sure why not." Razmi deigns to associate with you.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #7069 on: October 08, 2019, 03:43:08 PM »
I just started Indivisible. The game is surprisingly hard, at least at the very beginning. You have to really be on point with your blocking or you get wiped out REALLY fast.

Razmi is awesome. "Hey, you wanna get discorporated and travel around in my head?", "Well, I was planning on getting eaten today, but sure why not." Razmi deigns to associate with you.

I'm interested in this.  Let me know how it is going forward.  The review I read said it was good, but not great, so I'm going to wait for one more recommendation. 

I tried to buy The Surge 2 but there was an error at checkout, so I took it as an omen and I think I'll wait for it to go on sale.  Instead I took a few hours and messed around with the new library sorting system on Steam.  Made a collection of 'games I haven't played yet' and 'Games I should probably finish someday'.  So I've been working through those. 

Offline Russoguru

• Liked: 1097
« Reply #7070 on: October 08, 2019, 03:53:53 PM »
I picked up a six button controller for my Sega Genesis mini so I could play Street fighter 2 turbo. That was pretty fun, but the game is ridiculously easy... on the two star difficulty level. I know it seems kind of... weird to base my own self-worth based upon my performance in a video game but in a way video games have always been at least somewhat tied to my own sense of identity, even though I really don't play them that often anymore.
"Russoguru is a naive jackass"

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7071 on: October 08, 2019, 11:01:26 PM »
Finally got the adapter I need to plug my old SNES into a modern display, which lets me continue running the Fire Emblem series with Genealogy of the Holy War. There are a lot of interesting departures in this one. There's a home-castle that you have to defend while you go out and capture the target)s). The maps are massive and take a good long time to play through. I'm still on the tutorial and it's taken me about an hour to get near the end. Fortunately, it also lets you save your game as often as you want. It even has a nifty autosave for the absent-minded that saves after every turn. The game pretty much invites you to save-scum because- again- the maps take hours and even Fire Emblem isn't evil enough to make you start a map that big completely over. I'm enjoying the increased scope. It feels almost like an old KOEI Strategy campaign.

Offline CJones

• Liked: 1187
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #7072 on: October 13, 2019, 07:38:06 PM »
I just picked up Valfaris. Man it feels great to play an old school Contra game again. I used to be able to 1CC the original arcade Contra. Cuphead came close, but this is the real deal.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aCGFjX5Cb_g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aCGFjX5Cb_g</a>

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #7073 on: October 14, 2019, 06:02:40 PM »
I've been playing Cat Quest II with a girl I've been seeing.  She's not exactly a gamer, but we've been playing some casual co op games and have had a lot of fun.  We had finished Overcooked (great co op game, highly recommend it) and were looking for something new.  She signed up for apple arcade, or whatever it's called, and saw Cat Quest on there and thought it looked cute. 

At first I dismissed it for it's cutesy art style and simple look.  And while it isn't the deepest game, it's perfect for us.  It's a two player couch co op action RPG.  So far the combat has just enough complexity to keep me interested without completely overwhelming her.  Sometimes things get a little hectic and we lose track of which one we are, but it's still a lot of fun.  She's getting good at drawing aggro one at a time with her range weapon, then leading them to me to bash the hell out of them.  I also like the way they telegraph when an enemy will attack with a red circle, making it clear when you're supposed to dodge.  And it's full of cat and dog puns, and cute hats to wear.  Not something I'd play on my own, but it's great fun with a girlfriend, or maybe a child or someone younger.  We do die rather frequently, so it's not as if it's without challenge.  But the penalty for death is never that bad, as there are saves all over the place.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for couch co op games?  We are looking at Knights and Bikes next. 

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1161
  • Rebranded from Lesbunny
« Reply #7074 on: October 15, 2019, 12:38:23 PM »
Slowly but surely making my way through Five Nights at Freddy's VR Help Wanted. That game is absolutely terrifying and very well made. Help Wanted is such a clever name, too, because by playing the game the way you're supposed to, you are helping someone escape, AND you're a beta tester, so it's like a Want Ad. Perfect titles in this series, honestly. They all have double meanings when you look at the ones that aren't numbered.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #7075 on: October 15, 2019, 12:48:49 PM »
Finally got the adapter I need to plug my old SNES into a modern display, which lets me continue running the Fire Emblem series with Genealogy of the Holy War. There are a lot of interesting departures in this one. There's a home-castle that you have to defend while you go out and capture the target)s). The maps are massive and take a good long time to play through. I'm still on the tutorial and it's taken me about an hour to get near the end. Fortunately, it also lets you save your game as often as you want. It even has a nifty autosave for the absent-minded that saves after every turn. The game pretty much invites you to save-scum because- again- the maps take hours and even Fire Emblem isn't evil enough to make you start a map that big completely over. I'm enjoying the increased scope. It feels almost like an old KOEI Strategy campaign.

I was able to use my Super NES with my HDTV with composite audio/video (my HDTV has composite inputs in addition to HDMI) and it worked fine. Why couldn't you do the same with yours? No composite inputs?

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #7076 on: October 15, 2019, 12:53:53 PM »
I'm playing Doraemon - Story of Seasons on the Nintendo Switch. It's combining two great things: Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons (which spawned us Stardew Valley, The Sims, Animal Crossing, Farmville, etc.), and Doraemon, which is an Anime/Manga that my Japanese friends are really into! I've only just dipped my toes into the game, but so far, so great! It's also available on Steam (I wish it were also available on itch.io and GOG, but them's the breaks)!

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7077 on: October 15, 2019, 01:51:22 PM »

I was able to use my Super NES with my HDTV with composite audio/video (my HDTV has composite inputs in addition to HDMI) and it worked fine. Why couldn't you do the same with yours? No composite inputs?
Yeah, composite inputs haven't been standard on a TV in a long time. Kind of wish I'd kept my old TV for retro gaming.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3094
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7078 on: October 15, 2019, 03:52:12 PM »

Yeah, composite inputs haven't been standard on a TV in a long time. Kind of wish I'd kept my old TV for retro gaming.

The 32" Samsung I got for my kitchen 3 years ago had composite inputs on the back, but my 2 larger TVs you need to plug a special adapter into a headphone style jack if you want to use composite.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #7079 on: October 15, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »

At this moment, I wish I still had a CRT television if only for Light Gun games. Luckily I bought the RetroUSB NES AVS and Analogue Mega SG for my modern retro needs as far as NES and Sega Genesis games are concerned.