Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 611875 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2509
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6780 on: January 09, 2019, 03:14:24 PM »
Haven't been able to play much for the last couple of months thanks to my Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, but my wife and I, who have a long history of playing point and click adventure games together, just started Grim Fandango on the Switch together. It's the rare kind of game she is willing take a controller for.

Somehow, despite both of our love for LucasArts games, we both have never played this one. So far we're loving it. Very impressed with it given it's 20 years old!
FINE

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 232
« Reply #6781 on: January 09, 2019, 06:00:54 PM »
Not playing it yet, but Ultima IV is free at GOG. I remember loving the game when it came out but that it also required a lot of relying on the manual and documentation and cloth map that came with it. Guessing it probably hasn't aged well, but it's a small download and free, so gonna give it a try this weekend.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 392
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #6782 on: January 09, 2019, 07:37:54 PM »
Got Soul Caliber 6 so I can crush my girlfriend's spirit and maintain my status as the one good at fighting games. Unfortunately, it's AGDQ week, so I'm not getting as much time to practice anything.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 612
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6783 on: January 10, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »
Not playing it yet, but Ultima IV is free at GOG. I remember loving the game when it came out but that it also required a lot of relying on the manual and documentation and cloth map that came with it. Guessing it probably hasn't aged well, but it's a small download and free, so gonna give it a try this weekend.

Ultimas 4 through 7 were the golden age of Ultima (5 was my favorite). But yeah, unless GoG also provides copies of the instructions and map, you will absolutely need a FAQ. Heck, you'll probably need one regardless.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2901
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6784 on: January 10, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »
GOG always provides downloads of instructions, maps, etc. They're in the Backups and Goodies when you access the dropdown for the game in your library. I can confirm that Ultima IV includes downloads for the Manual, Clue Book, Spellbook, Reference Card, Map, and an interview with Richard Garriott. (This is why I love GOG.)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 370
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #6785 on: January 10, 2019, 12:54:45 PM »
Ultimas 4 through 7 were the golden age of Ultima (5 was my favorite). But yeah, unless GoG also provides copies of the instructions and map, you will absolutely need a FAQ. Heck, you'll probably need one regardless.
For reasons that are too complicated for me to explain, I recommend against playing Ultima 9.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6786 on: January 10, 2019, 02:01:10 PM »
Nothing complicated about it. Ultima IX was borderline broken and fully sucked. It was made in that awkward period of video game history where all the long-loved 2D properties said, "Shoot. If we don't go 3D, nobody's going to play this series anymore."

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 612
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6787 on: January 10, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
Unfortunately, it's AGDQ week, so I'm not getting as much time to practice anything.

Yeah, I never got anything done during GDQ week

Did you see the the Crypt of the Necrodancer run from earlier today? Christ that was stressful. He was playing as Coda, which means if you get hit by anything, pick up anything or miss any beat it's game over. And did I mention, he was playing at DOUBLE SPEED!  :speechless: He said the devs told him that they were pretty sure it was impossible. He did have to restart several times.

They're just about to start Celeste, my favorite game of 2018 (hence my avatar).

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #6788 on: January 10, 2019, 10:20:50 PM »
Unfortunately, it's AGDQ week, so I'm not getting as much time to practice anything.

Yeah, I never got anything done during GDQ week

Did you see the the Crypt of the Necrodancer run from earlier today? Christ that was stressful. He was playing as Coda, which means if you get hit by anything, pick up anything or miss any beat it's game over. And did I mention, he was playing at DOUBLE SPEED!  :speechless: He said the devs told him that they were pretty sure it was impossible. He did have to restart several times.

They're just about to start Celeste, my favorite game of 2018 (hence my avatar).
I work the next three nights, I'm so sadly unable to watch much more of it. It sucks, because I've basically kept the stream running nonstop since it started. The Megaman block was so hype, though... Made me want to start trying to run MM11

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6789 on: January 12, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
Been playing Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, which is pretty much a reskin of the old Genesis game of the same name (with the always-awesome feature of being able to toggle between classic and new graphics). It's aged extremely well. It's a really rudimentary Metroidvania with an item shop and powers that unlock new places. It's still a 1989 game, though, so death is frequent and can send you all the way back through a lengthy and frustrating level. The new graphics and music are pretty, which makes the old-school challenge a bit easier to stomach.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #6790 on: January 15, 2019, 01:40:35 AM »
Oh, Soul Caliber, why are you so much fun? One of my very first fighting games, and since my fiancee has been playing it and I have a need to outperform her in fighters because they're the one genre of games I'm kinda good at, I've been practicing my Xianghua, and it's coming along. The last time I played an SC game, I'm pretty sure I was using a GC controller, so it's taking a bit getting used to the fight stick, but I think it's worth it. Keeping the controller fairly constant through every fighting game helps me maintain basics, and the universal control scheme is rather nice to have. Also, Create a Soul is really cool. The fact that I can edit and customize fighters is really fun, too. Xianghua, you've never been more beautiful to me, you Wendee Lee voiced beauty.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #6791 on: January 15, 2019, 01:02:30 PM »
Sophitia and Nightmare are my favorite characters to play in Soul Calibur.

Last night they finally released Onimusha: Warlords on the Xbox one. I'm amazed that after almost 20 years(It came out in March 2001) it's still a really fun game. For a while I had a problem trying to figure out where to go next. I had to check my inventory and I finally figured it out. Something about it really appealed to my sense of nostalgia.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #6792 on: January 20, 2019, 12:30:15 AM »
Ordered one of these. It's basically a pro-controller in the shape of a GameCube controller, with all the bells and whistles that a pro-controller has. It's also a Bluetooth controller, so I can use it with my PC. I got it to smash while in bed without having to deal with wires. Hope it's worth the price, but that's still 20 bucks cheaper than the pro-controller in general.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #6793 on: January 20, 2019, 11:10:47 AM »
Remember when SSBB came out for the Wii and everybody wanted a Wave bird and suddenly they started going for like $50+ on Ebay?

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #6794 on: January 29, 2019, 12:55:47 AM »
Agreed on the SoulCalibur love, been playing countless hours of that with a few of my friends, one in particular being my mightiest rival. Such a great game.

Been playing the Resident Evil 2 remake, fun stuff too.