Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 742905 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1260
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #7335 on: January 19, 2021, 04:37:53 PM »
Been playing Jedi: Fallen Order after seeing it played at AGDQ 2021 and being impressed by it. Really good looking game. Made by Respawn, the same people that made the spectacular Titanfall 2. I've heard that the game is supposed to be considered canon. Disney Star Wars can be good, so long as Disney and Kathleen Kennedy have nothing to do with it  :P I'm only half kidding.

A few hours in. Pretty good so far. Reminds me of a cross between Dark Souls (though not nearly as hard) and Tomb Raider (the Crystal Dynamics ones).

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2603
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7336 on: January 23, 2021, 08:03:35 PM »
Finally picked up Cuphead. A bit frustrating for now, but the artwork keeps me invested.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1252
  • Rebranded from Lesbunny
« Reply #7337 on: January 25, 2021, 07:26:16 AM »
Finally picked up Cuphead. A bit frustrating for now, but the artwork keeps me invested.

It's a tough game, but it's super rewarding.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7338 on: January 25, 2021, 03:11:14 PM »

I'm getting that feeling pretty quickly. I'm not normally the type to make a sound when I'm gaming beyond an occasional "dammit" if I die. I've come close to howling in victory several times after beating a tough boss in the past day.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #7339 on: January 27, 2021, 07:28:07 AM »
I feel like there's something for everyone in it. There's also something that everyone hates. My least favorite boss is that stupid bee, but Cala Maria is a goddess.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7340 on: January 27, 2021, 07:46:56 AM »
So I picked up a Hyperkin Supaboy with some Christmas gift cards and I'm in love. It's pretty much a Gameboy that plays SNES cartridges, which makes them much more accessible to me. (I can even hook them to a TV and plug in SNES controllers to use it as a console if I were so inclined.) It's a bulky thing, and my wrists get angry at me after a few hours, but it's extremely playable and it's way easier for me to find time on the couch than it is for me to monopolize a monitor or TV for a couple hours.

This has given me a chance to get serious with my repro cart of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. I've been around the block with Fire Emblem (This represents part 4 of my quest to run the entire Fire Emblem series) and this is easily the most intimidating of the bunch. The levels are all kind of like 3 or 4 normal Fire Emblem levels stitched together, with multiple castles, which means you're kind of playing them all at once. I've been trying to get into it for a year, but with this new accessibility I decided to get extra-determined and even watched a couple strategy videos online. That's when I learned about how to make the most of the arena and a critical bit of advice that if you keep your troops within a few squares of Sigurd (The main "Lord" in this game)  they will fight better. I'm almost through Level 1, which doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment, but after getting my butt kicked for a year, I'll take it. I'm starting to get the flow of things and starting to really dig it.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7341 on: January 27, 2021, 01:47:27 PM »
I feel like there's something for everyone in it. There's also something that everyone hates. My least favorite boss is that stupid bee, but Cala Maria is a goddess.

Haven't reached her yet, but I've seen some of her level in videos. Lately the bane of my existence is Beppi the Clown.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Russoguru

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1188
  • Everyday ends with a tums festival!
« Reply #7342 on: February 04, 2021, 04:24:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure one of the boss characters used to be your avatar, right?
"In all my years of conquest, violence, and slaughter, it was never personal. But I'll tell you now, what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet... I'm going to enjoy it... very very much."
-Thanos

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #7343 on: February 04, 2021, 06:02:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure one of the boss characters used to be your avatar, right?

Yes, Cala Maria

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1260
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #7344 on: February 16, 2021, 09:53:00 PM »
Playing The Medium on XBox Gamepass.

Interesting game. A fairly standard horror/suspense game except for the dual reality gimmick.... until you get to the Dayroom. Then things get WAY too real for game as otherwise silly as this is. Child sex abuse, harboring Jews during WW2, abusive step-fathers. When a killing spree is the least upsetting thing in your game, you know things are dark. I haven't gotten past the Dayroom yet, so who knows what other upsetting stuff the game has in store.

The dual reality thing is a trip, and fairly ingenious. Occasionally you will be entirely in one world or the other, but the most interesting parts are when you're in both simultaneously. Since you're physically in two places at once, if your path is blocked in one, you can't progress in the other either, even if the path isn't blocked there. To get around this you can disconnect from you "real" body to explore the spirit world, but you can only stay disconnected a limited amount of time. You use this to do stuff like open locked doors from the other side or grab items that are only accessible in the spirit world.