login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 651903 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #7020 on: August 10, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »
And that's fine, but at least give me the option to skip the tutorial. I understand why people need it, but I just want to play the game and figure things out on my own.

The Contra anniversary collection and Castlevania Anniversary collection are absolutely mandatory for any retro gamer, and buying physical copies of all the games in those collections off places like Ebay I guarantee you is going to run several hundred bucks. Now part of me would LOVE to be a purist, but I'm more pragmatic and practical these days so I'm more than happy with just having digital releases.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #7021 on: August 11, 2019, 04:44:43 AM »
A while ago a friend was telling me that the mod Vivecraft was pretty fun (VR Minecraft), but I hadn’t bothered to play. Until yesterday. And wow, it’s exactly what I want from VR. The nostalgia of Minecraft immediately floods back, and is enhanced by the sense that I am finally actually there, after having imagined what it would be like so many times.  Minecraft, to me, is all about exploring pretty new places that no one has ever seen before, and exploring and experiencing a place is what VR does best.

It’s the first VR game that I could see myself spending a lot of time in, and I am excited to dive back in. Found a great plateau to build a house on next to a mountain. Still in the resource gathering stage, but so far I’m too scared to go down in the caves. I remember the caves being scary and filled with monsters where you’re scared that you’re going to lose all the stuff you’ve collected, but that fear is doubled in VR. Now the primal fear of being in a dark space with creepy things making creepy noises really kicks in. Going to really need to prepare myself before I venture into the deep.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #7022 on: August 11, 2019, 04:59:24 PM »
On a whim, because some stuff was on sale in the PlayStation store I picked up Witcher 3. I started playing it and... 10 minutes later I was grimacing during the fucking tutorial. God dammit back in the old days, even in the 90's I did not need a tutorial! I'd figure out all this shit on my own! I WOULD have bypassed it but the goddamn game wouldn't let me. 10 seconds later I closed the game and deleted it.

Turn around and re-install Witcher 3 RIGHT NOW! I spent 200 hours on that game. That's the sort of time I usually only spend on Roguelikes/lites or fighting games. Best RPG I have played in years. Normally I would agree with you. Most of my favorite games of the last decade have been retro and/or indie games. But The Witcher 3 was absurdly good.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #7023 on: August 11, 2019, 05:30:48 PM »
Oh, and by "Tutorial", are you referring to White Orchard? Yeah, that does take quite a while. But there's also a fair amount of plot relevant stuff there.

Just don't do what I did and sell your starting armor and then forget where you sold it. How was I supposed to know it was important :P

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 166
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #7024 on: August 13, 2019, 10:14:23 AM »
I've converted to DRM-free gaming on my PC (though I haven't abandoned Steam as much as deprecated it), and some games I bought on GOG were the Journeyman Project trilogy. Pegasus Prime is a remake of the first game and the other two, Buried in Time and Legacy of Time are exactly the same as they were in the 1990's. There are other games, including adventure games, that have to do with time travel. But for me, these games hold the most charm, even more so than Day of the Tentacle. I'm currently playing the third game Legacy of Time. When I played it back in 1999, I thought it was the weakest of the three, but 20 years later I regard it as complementary to the others and very nicely fitting.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4477
« Reply #7025 on: August 13, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »
I've converted to DRM-free gaming on my PC (though I haven't abandoned Steam as much as deprecated it), and some games I bought on GOG were the Journeyman Project trilogy. Pegasus Prime is a remake of the first game and the other two, Buried in Time and Legacy of Time are exactly the same as they were in the 1990's. There are other games, including adventure games, that have to do with time travel. But for me, these games hold the most charm, even more so than Day of the Tentacle. I'm currently playing the third game Legacy of Time. When I played it back in 1999, I thought it was the weakest of the three, but 20 years later I regard it as complementary to the others and very nicely fitting.

If you don't mind adventure games with anthropomorphic animal characters, Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb is good and somehow DRM Free, despite being on Steam.  They even found the original code, so it runs on modern computers without being attached to an emulator.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #7026 on: August 13, 2019, 01:08:38 PM »

If you don't mind adventure games with anthropomorphic animal characters, Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb is good and somehow DRM Free, despite being on Steam.  They even found the original code, so it runs on modern computers without being attached to an emulator.

How can I play it DRM-free separate from Steam?

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4477
« Reply #7027 on: August 13, 2019, 01:18:09 PM »

There should be a GoG version.  The Steam version really only uses Steam for distribution purposes.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #7028 on: August 13, 2019, 05:07:01 PM »

There should be a GoG version.  The Steam version really only uses Steam for distribution purposes.

I just bought it on GoG. Thanks!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #7029 on: August 14, 2019, 11:36:54 AM »
Since I'm on a strict budget now I'm 100% not getting anymore games until sometime next year. I admit I am halfway interested in Star Wars Jedi Fallen order, but I'm afraid the load times are going to be crazy long and I just never had any stomach for load times over 10 seconds or so(That's probably why MGS 4 drove me effing crazy). The only titles coming out next year I am halfway interested in are that Avengers game and of course the Final Fantasy VII remake.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #7030 on: August 25, 2019, 09:21:59 AM »
i'm tempted to sign up for WoW classic, but apparently you need a full WoW subscription for it? i dunno about that. i don't really want to play bfa, let alone pay for it.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #7031 on: August 25, 2019, 04:30:28 PM »
The following is cross-posted from the "WOOOOO! I Just beat…" thread:

Quote from: Iron Curtain
As of late, I have started to use DRM-free services such as GOG and itch.io, so I have bought old games I once paid for in physical optical disc format but now in convenient DRM-free Windows executable files. Such titles are:
  • The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time
  • The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
  • Zork: Grand Inquisitor
I have also bought Overlord because Nintendo hasn't yet released a Pikmin game on the Nintendo Switch and I didn't beat the first one, and while I played the original Journeyman Project: TURBO!, I didn't play the remake titled The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime which was originally released for the Japanese Playstation between the release of Journeyman Projects 2 & 3. It never came to the computer until around the 2000's, but I'm glad I was finally able to play it (and beat it, for that matter) on GOG when I started buying games on GOG and itch.io instead of Steam!

What really got me started on playing GOG and itch.io for the majority of my PC gaming time is Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure, which is a Monkey-Island-like graphic adventure with Disney-esque art and animation and multiple hotspot dialogue options. At first, I didn't find it funny, but over time, I started howling with laughter. I'm really enjoying it!

I'm also playing Azure Striker: Gunvolt 1 & 2 on the Switch. I got a physical copy from Gamestop. The used price was US$29.99, I got a deeper discount with my Gamestop pro membership, and even more with a $5-off coupon, so all I paid extra was tax, and it was STILL cheaper than buying it in the Nintendo eShop. Who says that buying at Gamestop was expensive and/or a ripoff?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7032 on: August 25, 2019, 06:50:16 PM »
Been playing Telling Lies with a girl I’m seeing. It’s really good!  It’s by the people who did Her Story, and it’s the same concept, except bigger.  You are some kind of government agent, maybe like NSA, with a stolen database of recorded video footage from video chats and web cams and hidden video cameras. But the videos aren’t all available to you in a list. You have to search for words. If a word is said by a person in a clip, then it pulls up that clip for you to watch. So you watch the videos and listen for important words or names and things to type in to try and find more videos, and learn about what’s going on.

It works surprisingly well. It really makes you feel like some kind of detective, putting together a puzzle. And it’s the perfect game to play with a spouse or someone who isn’t super into twitchy games with controls. It’s very fun to hypothesize about who is lying and what people’s motivations are and what to search for next.

Oh, it’s all FMV (full motion video, or in other words, live action). But the acting is actually pretty good!  By FMV standards it’s fucking amazing. But it even holds up to a lot of scripted television. And i recognize one of the actresses from Westworld.

All in all, I highly recommend it so far. And I think it’s only $20. I can’t quite tell how far we are, but I feel like I’ve learned a lot. From what I understand, like Her Story, the game doesn’t really have an ending. You just play until you feel like you have a good understanding of what’s going on. But I also remember there being a fairly important video to find in Her Story, which kind of acted as an ending.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 06:54:06 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #7033 on: August 25, 2019, 07:10:28 PM »
Been playing Telling Lies with a girl I’m seeing. It’s really good!  It’s by the people who did Her Story, and it’s the same concept, except bigger.  You are some kind of government agent, maybe like NSA, with a stolen database of recorded video footage from video chats and web cams and hidden video cameras. But the videos aren’t all available to you in a list. You have to search for words. If a word is said by a person in a clip, then it pulls up that clip for you to watch. So you watch the videos and listen for important words or names and things to type in to try and find more videos, and learn about what’s going on.

It works surprisingly well. It really makes you feel like some kind of detective, putting together a puzzle. And it’s the perfect game to play with a spouse or someone who isn’t super into twitchy games with controls. It’s very fun to hypothesize about who is lying and what people’s motivations are and what to search for next.

Oh, it’s all FMV (full motion video, or in other words, live action). But the acting is actually pretty good!  By FMV standards it’s fucking amazing. But it even holds up to a lot of scripted television. And i recognize one of the actresses from Westworld.

All in all, I highly recommend it so far. And I think it’s only $20. I can’t quite tell how far we are, but I feel like I’ve learned a lot. From what I understand, like Her Story, the game doesn’t really have an ending. You just play until you feel like you have a good understanding of what’s going on. But I also remember there being a fairly important video to find in Her Story, which kind of acted as an ending.

I've put it on my GOG wishlist. In lieu of gift cards or gift credit, both of which GOG lacks, I set up a system where I give myself a $60 per month allowance for games on GOG. And I don't break it unless there's a sale on a game I really want. So if I don't get this game this month, maybe next month or the month after!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7034 on: August 26, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »

I've put it on my GOG wishlist. In lieu of gift cards or gift credit, both of which GOG lacks, I set up a system where I give myself a $60 per month allowance for games on GOG. And I don't break it unless there's a sale on a game I really want. So if I don't get this game this month, maybe next month or the month after!

Nice!  I’ll let you know if my opinion changes when we probably finish it next weekend.