login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 638643 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6945 on: June 12, 2019, 03:35:36 PM »
I finally got sucked into playing Slay the Spire. It's clearly a mobile game, yet I don't even own a mobile, so it's PC for me.

And yet... It's pretty damn good. Proceed with caution >:D, least ye be sucked in ;) as well.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1475
« Reply #6946 on: June 12, 2019, 04:23:58 PM »
I finally got sucked into playing Slay the Spire. It's clearly a mobile game, yet I don't even own a mobile, so it's PC for me.

And yet... It's pretty damn good. Proceed with caution >:D, least ye be sucked in ;) as well.

Ha!  That’s funny. I just came to this forum to say that I picked up Slay the Spire on Switch after having loved the early access on PC. It feels very natural with the touch controls. I can play the whole game by touch, don’t need the joycons at all. They haven’t completely perfected it, there are some things that need polish. Like in shops I’ll touch a potion to inspect what it does, but instead it buys it right away. Overall the touch controls feel good though, better than a controller.

I’d totally buy it a third time if they release it for iPhone though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:29:18 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6947 on: June 12, 2019, 05:04:55 PM »
Picked up Fire Emblem Warriors for less than half price yesterday, so I've just barely started on that. I loved Hyrule Warriors, so I expect to enjoy this a great deal too.
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1475
« Reply #6948 on: June 13, 2019, 10:02:03 PM »
Been playing Pathologic II. The writing is amazing. I love the atmosphere. I love the weirdness. I love the way the story is slowly unfolding. But the gameplay is getting in the way a bit, even though it’s very much intentional. You have 4 meters that are all constantly ticking down: thirst, exhaustion, hunger, and immunity. You have to constantly scrounge for food, or buy it, but it becomes crazy expensive as the days go buy in this sick and dying town with precious few resources. I understand that the game makers want you to feel the desperation of the people of this town. They want it to be hard, and oppressive. It’s all part of the atmosphere and the story. But it’s very close to too much, too distracting from these very fleshed out and interesting characters they have created.  I’m only on day 4 of 12 and I am so low on money and everything that I’m not sure how I can make it.

The creators did put in some difficulty sliders after people complained about the extreme difficulty. I haven’t used them yet, but I might. Because I really do like the story. And that doesn’t happen often in video games for me. This game is so far from your typical hero’s journey, which I love. I’m a little burnt out the traditional good guy narrative. But I also don’t want to chicken out. Maybe I can make it through, and just let a lot of other people die. Or maybe I’ll get too frustrated and stop playing if I don’t use the sliders. Hard to tell.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 514
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #6949 on: June 15, 2019, 09:47:27 AM »
Been playing Spiderman for PS4. Just got through kicking Kingpin's butt. Maybe it's a little early to say but this seems like a pretty good game so far. What's even better is I got it super, super cheap. I don't usually need any of those damn deluxe editions so I only spent a little over 20 bucks on it.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 162
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6950 on: June 17, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
Ever since the Seiken Densetsu Collection got localized into English as the Collection of Mana, I've been playing Final Fantasy Adventure a.k.a. Final Fantasy Gaiden: Seiken Densetsu quite a bit. It's amazing how well this game holds up! I'm incredibly shocked about how easy this game was compared to my memories of me playing it. Did I get better at it? Do my memories of me playing it hold up? Have I gotten used to this style of game? Whatever the reason is, I'm having a great time playing it!

I beat Final Fantasy Adventure, so I started Secret of Mana. Since I have two other games started already (One on the Super NES Mini Classic, another on the remastered remake for the PC) and that I think SoM has some flaws that FFA doesn't have, I decided to shelve my gameplay for Trials of Mana. I'm really enjoying this game, including how they reuse city names from FFA!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #6951 on: June 17, 2019, 07:32:49 PM »
I have barely been playing my 2DS XL at all over the past several weeks. Honestly, I'm listening to my MP3 player and surfing Twitter almost all day anyway on my new phone my Dad got me. I'm seriously thinking of trading the 2DS XL in. I've still got a regular 2DS so at least I can play the remaining Fire Emblem games I own.

I also recently discovered Super Hot on the PS4 so I've been playing that and having lots of fun with it. Best FPS I've played in a LONG time.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #6952 on: June 18, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »
Crossposted from the "General Game News" thread:
Quote from: Iron Curtain
Heads up: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is now available for PC (i.e. Steam and GOG), PS4, and XBox One. From what little I played of the PC version, I found it very enjoyable but the colors oversaturated and the water effects overdone and fake-looking in regards to the graphics.

Also, I'm at work, but I can't wait to get home to play more Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night for the PC! The graphics may have worsened (IMHO) but the gameplay is still as sharp as ever since the E3 demo! I truly think the game lives up to the hype!

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4352
« Reply #6953 on: June 18, 2019, 10:09:58 AM »
Heads up: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is now available for PC (i.e. Steam and GOG), PS4, and XBox One. From what little I played of the PC version, I found it very enjoyable but the colors oversaturated and the water effects overdone and fake-looking in regards to the graphics.

Also, I'm at work, but I can't wait to get home to play more Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night for the PC! The graphics may have worsened (IMHO) but the gameplay is still as sharp as ever since the E3 demo! I truly think the game lives up to the hype!
I thought the graphics were a bit on the bland side before the change.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6954 on: June 18, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »
I've been waiting until that fabled day when I'd have a lot of time on my hands to dig into Octopath Traveler, but I finally decided that day's not coming and have decided to start taking it in bite-sized chunks, which I think may have been the intent all along. I'm working on my fourth hero's intro story and am having trouble picking a favorite character. It's a little bit weird that a game that brags right in its title about the fact that there are 8 heroes doesn't have them interact much. It's, "Oh. This is part of your story. I'll just hang back here and be quiet." But the game is still fun and the stories are well-told.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #6955 on: June 18, 2019, 11:12:56 AM »

Before I saw the graphical change with the E3 demo and the final game, I would've agreed with you. However, since I actually have an A->B before-and-after comparison, I can make an accurate judgment (or at least accurate to my tastes).

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4352
« Reply #6956 on: June 18, 2019, 11:31:19 AM »

Before I saw the graphical change with the E3 demo and the final game, I would've agreed with you. However, since I actually have an A->B before-and-after comparison, I can make an accurate judgment (or at least accurate to my tastes).
It looked pretty good in the video where they announced the change.  Hopefully the effects can be tweaked or patched though.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #6957 on: June 18, 2019, 01:11:39 PM »

It looked pretty good in the video where they announced the change.  Hopefully the effects can be tweaked or patched though.

That's what I mean; in the video, you could see an improvement. But since I have both the playable demo of many E3s ago and the version just released, I can make a comparison relative to my actual GPU hardware and not a video thereof.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:17:30 PM by Iron Curtain »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #6958 on: June 18, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
I just figured it out. I figured out something the damn CSR's at Xbox couldn't tell me! Remember I was saying I kept getting ads during Dead or Alive 6 asking me to join Xbox live gold? Well, I saw another ad today, again when I was playing the game in training mode. Anyway the latest thing the CSR had me do was... reset my console. Honestly I should have known better than to believe that bullshit(honestly, sometimes it feels like certain CSR's are just trolling me). See, what happens is during training mode, for some reason the game is automatically programmed to look for other opponents on Xbox live to fight with. And of course since the mode tries to access Xbox live features, I get ads for Xbox live gold. So honestly, I don't think there's anything stopping those ads from showing up unless I sub to Xbox live gold... which I did, but only because it was a dollar today. I don't think much of you Xbox customer service! I really, really don't!

Someone mention a Bloodstained sequel? Well, I saw the trailer today and I said "Damn I need to get on that shit right away!"

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6959 on: June 18, 2019, 08:21:21 PM »
I just started Bloodstained. I'm in the group that vastly prefers the new graphics. I do agree that the water effects are kind of wonky. Unfortunately, about 2 hours in and the game crashed. That does not bode well.

I've been waiting until that fabled day when I'd have a lot of time on my hands to dig into Octopath Traveler, but I finally decided that day's not coming and have decided to start taking it in bite-sized chunks, which I think may have been the intent all along. I'm working on my fourth hero's intro story and am having trouble picking a favorite character. It's a little bit weird that a game that brags right in its title about the fact that there are 8 heroes doesn't have them interact much. It's, "Oh. This is part of your story. I'll just hang back here and be quiet." But the game is still fun and the stories are well-told.

I really want to play Octopath Traveler, but not at $60. When the price comes down I'll probably get it.