Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 627908 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 672
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6885 on: April 10, 2019, 05:30:52 PM »
Way back in the day I had the C64 Programmer's Reference Guide

I still have mine.

I probably still have mine too. I just don't know where it is. I do know where the actual C64 is, and the 1541 disk drive. Not sure about the monitor. I'm a bit of a pack rat, and I have too many fond memories associated with it to throw it out.

As for how the video got on screen, all those early computers did some crazy stuff to keep the costs down, the ZX81 used the CPU to directly send signals to the video out, so it could not do calculations and draw on screen at the same time.

Okay, that is pretty funny.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 136
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6886 on: April 11, 2019, 05:56:20 AM »
I’m playing Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!! I already had it for Steam (I know for a fact that it’s available for the Humble Store DRM-free for Windows, MacOS, and Linux), but even since it was released on the Nintendo Switch, I’ve been doing what I can to play it. It’s a lot like Overcooked! in that it’s a cooking game that’s both frustrating and fun, but whereas Overcooked relies on team coördination, Cook, Serve, Delicious! relies on your muscle memory and rote memorization.

Pick it up if you like something difficult yet rewarding!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3036
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6887 on: April 12, 2019, 11:24:13 AM »
Picked up ISLANDERS (Don't know why it's all caps, but it is) on a whim and am totally hooked. It's kind of a city builder, but it's not about resource management. You place buildings and get a score for placing them based on how close they are to things on the map or other buildings. Some things add to the score, some take it away (You get points for putting your lumberjack near trees, but you lose points if it's too close to another lumberjack, for instance). The game shows you exactly how every other thing impacts your score and what you add to the score when you place it at that location.

The game becomes a matter of hovering around the map to find that one spot that gives you the most possible points, while making sure you're not screwing yourself over later in the game. Like a lot of great puzzle games it sounds incomprehensible until you sit down and start playing, and then it becomes a matter of zen-like bliss.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 459
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #6888 on: April 12, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »
I got Fire Emblem Warriors today. Been playing the Dynasty Warriors games for almost 20 years now so I've been having fun with it.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2587
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6889 on: April 12, 2019, 03:03:22 PM »
I got Fire Emblem Warriors today. Been playing the Dynasty Warriors games for almost 20 years now so I've been having fun with it.

I love Hyrule Warriors so I want to pick that one up at some point.
FINE

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 453
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #6890 on: April 12, 2019, 03:13:37 PM »

FEW is one of my favorite games on the Switch. I own it and all the DLC on both systems.

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4279
« Reply #6891 on: April 12, 2019, 03:19:21 PM »
Hoping that Final Fantasy/Dissidia Warriors will eventually be a thing.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #6892 on: April 12, 2019, 03:56:59 PM »

Hoping that Final Fantasy Dissidia will eventually be on the Switch…

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 453
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #6893 on: April 12, 2019, 07:42:45 PM »

Aren't we getting Crystal Chronicles on Switch soon, or did I just imagine it?

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #6894 on: April 13, 2019, 05:40:37 AM »

Aren't we getting Crystal Chronicles on Switch soon, or did I just imagine it?

It's not your imagination. We are.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1441
« Reply #6895 on: April 16, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
Sekiro definitely gets easier as you get deeper into the game. More upgrades and health and what not make the later fights, which are still tough, more manageable. You have more chances to fuck up, which means more time to learn patterns per death. Plus by this point I’m pretty decent at the basics. I beat the giant ape on my first go, which I was pretty happy with.

Feels like I’m getting toward the end. Making my way through an area I had previously cleared out that now has new enemies for story reasons.  I have all the prosthetic tools now. Haven’t upgraded all of them yet though. It really feels like I’m making my way toward the final area, but I could be wrong.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 672
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6896 on: April 17, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »
Sekiro definitely gets easier as you get deeper into the game. More upgrades and health and what not make the later fights, which are still tough, more manageable. You have more chances to fuck up, which means more time to learn patterns per death. Plus by this point I’m pretty decent at the basics. I beat the giant ape on my first go, which I was pretty happy with.

Feels like I’m getting toward the end. Making my way through an area I had previously cleared out that now has new enemies for story reasons.  I have all the prosthetic tools now. Haven’t upgraded all of them yet though. It really feels like I’m making my way toward the final area, but I could be wrong.

Needless to say, you're going to finish the game before me. You're just better at these sorts of games than I am, I think. But I'm not giving up, not by a long shot. I still haven't beaten Lady Butterfly, though I've come PAINFULLY close several times. I hear Gennichro makes her look like a cake walk. I just need one more Bead to complete my third Prayer Necklace. I've been trying to kill either of the minibosses in the Ashina Reservoir in the hopes that one will drop one.

Don't be surprised if I come asking for advice ;D

EDIT: YES!! Lady Butterfly is defeated!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6897 on: April 17, 2019, 03:04:07 PM »
EDIT: YES!! Lady Butterfly is defeated!

Nice!  Feels great doesn’t it?

Gennichro was indeed difficult, but I had learned a very important lesson from lady butterfly that helped a lot: if a boss is too hard, then go do other stuff for a while. I could feel I was underpowered the first two times I gave him a go, so I did other stuff for a while until I was ready. He didn’t give me too much trouble at that point. His second form adds a killer move, but the game tells you exactly how to counter it, and other than that his move set is the same as the previous form.

Wish I would have learned that sooner instead of beating my head against lady butterfly so many times when I was way too underpowered.

And yes, please feel free to ask advice if your stuck.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 459
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #6898 on: April 17, 2019, 10:13:05 PM »
Just when I thought I finished Fire Emblem Warriors... the hard difficulty leads me to the lunatic difficulty. So I guess I'm going to work on that now.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6899 on: April 20, 2019, 10:00:42 PM »
Made it to the final boss in Sekiro.  There's another optional boss that seems ridiculously hard, so I don't know if I'm going to bother with him.  Maybe.  But the final boss is going to take me quite a lot of time as it is.