login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 656746 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6840 on: March 23, 2019, 05:16:54 PM »
I'm playing a game called Miasma Caves at the moment. It's a pacifist cave-exploring game where you play a dragon lady and search for treasure and sell it. It's currently in Early Access, but it's at a point where I can recommend it for how fun it is. Give it a shot!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/812190/Miasma_Caves/

That sounds really interesting
FINE

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 172
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6841 on: March 23, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »
I'm playing a game called Miasma Caves at the moment. It's a pacifist cave-exploring game where you play a dragon lady and search for treasure and sell it. It's currently in Early Access, but it's at a point where I can recommend it for how fun it is. Give it a shot!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/812190/Miasma_Caves/

That sounds really interesting

Thank you! Two of my friends outside of gamedev work there! One of them is a programmer who goes to all the same chiptune shows I do in NYC, and the other one is an artist who attended some of the same Japanese language classes I did at New York University. It's really a small world!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #6842 on: March 23, 2019, 10:52:30 PM »
Anyone playing Sekiro yet?  New game by the makers of Dark Souls. I’ll pick it up eventually I’m sure, but currently I’m still slowly making my way through Devil May Cry 5.

I've bought it, and quite frankly, I'm having second thoughts. Part of it is definitely that my X360 controller is just too fucked up to play it. And I can't afford both the game and a new controller. I can't run north at all, while so much as tapping the stick south will make me run south. I've tried re-centering the stick as many ways as I know.. to no avail.

Monster Hunter World had similar issues, but no where near as bad. And it's just a lot more fun to play. At present I am playing Celeste, MH:W, The Messenger and Sekiro. Right now, I would pick any of these over Sekiro.

Yeah if the controls aren't responsive Sekiro would be horrible.  That's the whole game, responsive combat.  I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.  Have yet to get to the first boss, which is where I hear things get almost too frustrating, but so far it's a lot of fun in that Dark Souls sort of frustrating learning sort of way.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 742
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6843 on: March 31, 2019, 07:06:31 PM »
Anyone playing Sekiro yet?  New game by the makers of Dark Souls. I’ll pick it up eventually I’m sure, but currently I’m still slowly making my way through Devil May Cry 5.

I've bought it, and quite frankly, I'm having second thoughts. Part of it is definitely that my X360 controller is just too fucked up to play it. And I can't afford both the game and a new controller. I can't run north at all, while so much as tapping the stick south will make me run south. I've tried re-centering the stick as many ways as I know.. to no avail.

Monster Hunter World had similar issues, but no where near as bad. And it's just a lot more fun to play. At present I am playing Celeste, MH:W, The Messenger and Sekiro. Right now, I would pick any of these over Sekiro.

Yeah if the controls aren't responsive Sekiro would be horrible.  That's the whole game, responsive combat.  I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.  Have yet to get to the first boss, which is where I hear things get almost too frustrating, but so far it's a lot of fun in that Dark Souls sort of frustrating learning sort of way.

Okay, I'm soldiering onward. I'm going to have to buy a new controller soon anyway. I'm up to the Hirata Estate, and I'm starting to really like it. As long as I can get my character to face the right direction, it's doable. The fact that you can tell where hostile enemies are, even if you can't see them, helps a LOT. I wish you could do that in the Souls games.

I like that it's not as slow paced as the Souls games. There's no stamina, thankfully, so you can attack, dodge, deflect, sprint and grapple all you want. It's great that Fromsoft finally got around to making a game on the same quality and difficulty level as the Souls games, but is mechanically quite different. It kinda reminds me of the Arkham games.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #6844 on: April 01, 2019, 06:08:26 AM »

Okay, I'm soldiering onward. I'm going to have to buy a new controller soon anyway. I'm up to the Hirata Estate, and I'm starting to really like it. As long as I can get my character to face the right direction, it's doable. The fact that you can tell where hostile enemies are, even if you can't see them, helps a LOT. I wish you could do that in the Souls games.

I like that it's not as slow paced as the Souls games. There's no stamina, thankfully, so you can attack, dodge, deflect, sprint and grapple all you want. It's great that Fromsoft finally got around to making a game on the same quality and difficulty level as the Souls games, but is mechanically quite different. It kinda reminds me of the Arkham games.

I’m loving it, but it’s quite difficult. Definitely faster paced, slightly less methodical, but demands even more precision. There’s no more calling in friends to help with the hard bosses. Nope, you have to beat your head against them until you get it right. But landing that final death blow on a really hard boss feels oh so good.

While it’s true there is no stamina gauge that drains with each attack, you do have a poise meter that fills up when your attacks are blocked or when you block an attack. Once it fills all the way you are stunned, which is bad.

The only problem I have with the game is the lock on. I had this one tough fight against a mini boss in a small cave, and he loved to jump around and my camera would keep getting unlocked, or still locked but not pointed at the enemy. It was very frustrating.

Offline CJones

« Reply #6845 on: April 01, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »

I’m loving it, but it’s quite difficult. Definitely faster paced, slightly less methodical, but demands even more precision. There’s no more calling in friends to help with the hard bosses. Nope, you have to beat your head against them until you get it right. But landing that final death blow on a really hard boss feels oh so good.

While it’s true there is no stamina gauge that drains with each attack, you do have a poise meter that fills up when your attacks are blocked or when you block an attack. Once it fills all the way you are stunned, which is bad.

The only problem I have with the game is the lock on. I had this one tough fight against a mini boss in a small cave, and he loved to jump around and my camera would keep getting unlocked, or still locked but not pointed at the enemy. It was very frustrating.

Haven't had that problem yet, but I had the same issue in DS3, so I'm not surprised.

Yeah, the poise meter is a neat mechanic. I almost never block (Dark Souls taught me that was a good way to get guard crushed), so I either deflect stuff, dodge away or get hit :-\ The "unblockable" stuff is practically free damage since you usually see it coming a mile away. BTW, the infamous Chained Ogre grab counts as a sweep. You can just jump over it. That fight is way easier once you realize that :P

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #6846 on: April 01, 2019, 11:32:43 AM »
I don’t usually hold down block, but blocking has been my friend against Lady Butterfly. Still haven’t beaten her though. I told myself I’d return after getting two more prayer necklaces, and so far I have 1.5.

Starting to get to some branching paths, which has been nice. Allows me to take a break from one for a bit if I get stuck.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6847 on: April 01, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »
Got Etrian Odyssey Nexus for my Birthday. For those unfamiliar, it's like those old dungeon-crawling first-person RPGs from the '80s, but with a much more anime flavor and the gimmick that the bottom screen is used for manually making a map as you go. It's incredibly satisfying to make your own map vs. having one made for you.

This one is a big send-off, since this will be the last one with a second screen, so it's the last one that can have the key gimmick, and it might just be the last one ever. Knowing this, they did their best to grab all of the best aspects of all of the previous games and send it off right. The graphics and music are beautiful, as always. They made the decision to not dub it in English, so I'm left wondering sometimes what my character was going on about during that last battle, but it's mostly just grunts and yahs, so it's a minor quibble.

Offline CJones

« Reply #6848 on: April 01, 2019, 02:53:02 PM »
Got Etrian Odyssey Nexus for my Birthday. For those unfamiliar, it's like those old dungeon-crawling first-person RPGs from the '80s, but with a much more anime flavor and the gimmick that the bottom screen is used for manually making a map as you go. It's incredibly satisfying to make your own map vs. having one made for you.

This one is a big send-off, since this will be the last one with a second screen, so it's the last one that can have the key gimmick, and it might just be the last one ever. Knowing this, they did their best to grab all of the best aspects of all of the previous games and send it off right. The graphics and music are beautiful, as always. They made the decision to not dub it in English, so I'm left wondering sometimes what my character was going on about during that last battle, but it's mostly just grunts and yahs, so it's a minor quibble.

Ah yes, I distinctly remember ye olden days of graph paper mapping. I love the nostalgia, but I'm not sure I could stand to do that anymore.

This looks cool, but I don't have a 3DS.

Offline CJones

« Reply #6849 on: April 01, 2019, 02:59:01 PM »
Here's question you might know the answer to Variety:

In Sekiro, you know how enemies recover poise more slowly the less vitality they have left. Does this apply to you as well? I can't tell because usually as soon as I start getting hit I just die. I do know that you recover poise faster in the block stance, provided you're not actually blocking anything.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #6850 on: April 01, 2019, 03:09:43 PM »

In Sekiro, you know how enemies recover poise more slowly the less vitality they have left. Does this apply to you as well? I can't tell because usually as soon as I start getting hit I just die. I do know that you recover poise faster in the block stance, provided you're not actually blocking anything.

From my experience yes, you recover poise faster if you have more health. But I though you recovered poise faster while not blocking, similar to dark souls. I could be wrong on both parts, as I haven’t done extensive testing.

Another thing I like about Sekiro: resurrections. If you die once, you get one more life with no penalty. I’ve taken to running back to the last statue before dying again. Sometimes I’m tempted to try and finish a fight, but if I die again and lose experience then I know it was my fault for choosing not to run, and not the game’s fault for doing something unpredictable.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 172
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6851 on: April 01, 2019, 04:08:21 PM »

How could you play a game that was not dubbed in English for the Nintendo 3DS, a system that is region-locked? Do you have a Japanese system?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #6852 on: April 01, 2019, 06:55:14 PM »
Been playing Fire Emblem: Birthright and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Both games are really good. I've played Awakening before and I like a lot of the game play dynamics. I always feel like I have to play the game on easy mode because I have a hard time permanently losing a member of my party in battle.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 520
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #6853 on: April 01, 2019, 07:06:31 PM »
Been playing Fire Emblem: Birthright and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Both games are really good. I've played Awakening before and I like a lot of the game play dynamics. I always feel like I have to play the game on easy mode because I have a hard time permanently losing a member of my party in battle.

You can always play on classic and then soft reset every time a unit dies. Apparently the creator of the game also soft resets if he gets bad stat-ups when leveling.

Offline CJones

« Reply #6854 on: April 01, 2019, 08:11:57 PM »

From my experience yes, you recover poise faster if you have more health. But I though you recovered poise faster while not blocking, similar to dark souls. I could be wrong on both parts, as I haven’t done extensive testing.

Another thing I like about Sekiro: resurrections. If you die once, you get one more life with no penalty. I’ve taken to running back to the last statue before dying again. Sometimes I’m tempted to try and finish a fight, but if I die again and lose experience then I know it was my fault for choosing not to run, and not the game’s fault for doing something unpredictable.

Yes, you definitely recover poise faster while blocking. And yeah, the resurrection mechanic is great. And you can delay doing it a LONG time, allowing enemies to wander away and turn their backs to you.

I absolutely recommend watching this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zT35HWy_qvQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zT35HWy_qvQ</a>

I learned SO much useful stuff from this video.