login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 614944 times)

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 411
  • Bowsette is bae
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6795 on: January 29, 2019, 04:32:20 AM »
Finally get the time to play more Xenoblade 2. Poppi is adorable and I must protect her from Tora and his fetish outfits.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1389
« Reply #6796 on: January 29, 2019, 07:29:29 AM »
Finally get the time to play more Xenoblade 2. Poppi is adorable and I must protect her from Tora and his fetish outfits.

I think I burnt out on that game. It’s good, it’s just very long, and a little too the same. Maybe I’ll come back to it.

Online CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 621
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6797 on: January 29, 2019, 01:58:50 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2vaYsgOHTlI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2vaYsgOHTlI</a>

The Messenger

So if you've paid any attention to my avatars, you may have noticed I'm a fan of modern takes on old-school platformers. Hollow Knight was my favorite game of 2017. Celeste was my favorite game of 2018. The Messenger is shaping up to be a strong contender for 2019. How best to describe it? It starts out seeming to be a Ninja Gaiden clone. And then about halfway through, PSYCH! It's actually a Metroidvania. Sort of.

Oh, and the music rocks!

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 114
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6798 on: January 29, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2vaYsgOHTlI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2vaYsgOHTlI</a>

The Messenger

………

Oh, and the music rocks!

There's a reason for that: The Music was done by Eric Brown, who makes Power-Metal/Eurobeat fusion under the alias of Magic Hammer and a Chiptunized version thereof under the alias of RainbowDragonEyes.

Here's his bandcamp (wherein the Messenger OST is included, but if I were you, I'd buy his entire discography).

EDIT: Oh, and Eric has a separate bandcamp for his Magic Hammer alias. Here it is.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 03:41:02 PM by Iron Curtain »

Online CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 621
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6799 on: January 31, 2019, 04:55:34 PM »
I'm 10 hours into Monster Hunter: World.... AND I DON'T GET IT???

The plot is easy enough to follow,but the game mechanics need their own own Wikipedia. I have never been so confused about how a game works. (Just FYI,this is my first Monster Hunter game.)

20 years ago, this would have been just my thing. Today, though, decades of benzodiazipines and alcoholism have destroyed by brain. I feel like I doing little more than slashing at whatever the glowflies lead me to. At the very least, a comprehensive explanation for how the controls work would be a start

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2521
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6800 on: January 31, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »

The plot is easy enough to follow,but the game mechanics need their own own Wikipedia. I have never been so confused about how a game works. (Just FYI,this is my first Monster Hunter game.)

20 years ago, this would have been just my thing. Today, though, decades of benzodiazipines and alcoholism have destroyed by brain. I feel like I doing little more than slashing at whatever the glowflies lead me to. At the very least, a comprehensive explanation for how the controls work would be a start

I had the same problem. I don't see where the entertainment is in those games - It's like the tedious chore parts of other games magnified to the extreme.
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6801 on: January 31, 2019, 05:22:07 PM »

I had the same problem. I don't see where the entertainment is in those games - It's like the tedious chore parts of other games magnified to the extreme.

Exactly what I needed to hear. The temptation to buy it has been there, but I’m glad I have resisted.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2487
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6802 on: January 31, 2019, 05:47:26 PM »
Subnautica: Below Zero

Early access. 

It's a sequel to Subnautica, Alterra has a station in orbit and is trying to exploit the alien technology found in the first game.

There is a lot more in it that I was expecting for early access.  I'd say there is a good 5 hours of exploring you can do to find all the stuff that is done at this point.  Actual story I'd say 1 to 2 hours of stuff.

If they keep adding stuff for another year it's going to be as good or better than the first game.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2933
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6803 on: January 31, 2019, 11:37:56 PM »
Well I was HOPING to be playing Wargroove, but it looks like it's not unlocked for Switch just yet. Maybe 12:00 pacific? I'll be sure to let everyone know how it is. It's heavily inspired by Advance Wars and Fire Emblem and it's made by Chucklefish. Those are all signs that I will love it.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6804 on: February 01, 2019, 11:34:39 AM »
Wargroove is groovy. The graphics are retro-beautiful, the music is gorgeous, and the story is entertaining. If you've never heard of it, it's an attempt to fill in the hole left long ago by Advance Wars (but medieval/fantasy). I'm enjoying it immensely because that's exactly my kind of game. I also like that they didn't sexualize it. Not that I have a particular problem with buxom, scantily clad, flirty she-warriors in my turn-based strategy, but I don't want it to become compulsory.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 388
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #6805 on: February 01, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »
I'm already getting sick of the remake of Resident Evil 2. I keep going back to the same area over and over, I can't find key items, I'm missing clues and I can't even find my way back into rooms I can't find even with the damn map. Maybe I just need to stop buying games where I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. That's the same for me in the Kingdom Hearts games for DS and 3DS. I don't know what I'm doing and I have no idea where I'm going. Frankly, I'd rather be doing something else other than playing those games, which is sad.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6806 on: February 01, 2019, 01:32:13 PM »
Played a half an hour of the early access of Praey for the Gods last night. Super heavily inspired by Shadow of the Colossus. The first boss felt like it was right out of that game. The only differences seem to be snow (which looks really good), a grappling hook, and apparently you also fight minions instead of just bosses, but I haven’t ran into that yet.

Feels promising. Doesn’t have the same aura and mystery as Shadow, but it definitely feels frigid and cold. I am enjoying it so far.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 114
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6807 on: February 01, 2019, 04:26:17 PM »
I was waiting so long for a sale for games for the Nintendo Switch, but they just wouldn't materialize, so I thought "Screw it, I'll just buy one now." That game I bought was Game Dev Story, and already it's the best Video Game Development Simulator I played so far (Game Dev Tycoon is the other one.)! I love how it's easier to earn money and keep a dedicated fanbase in this game than in Game Dev Tycoon, which is far too realistic (in a bad way) for my tastes. I have yet to get a game over in Game Dev Story and so far, I just keep going on the up and up! I love it!

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 411
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #6808 on: February 01, 2019, 07:49:57 PM »
Mario Oddesey isn't too bad. The platforming is annoying because 3d platforming isn't my bag, but the hat gimmick is cool.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6809 on: February 01, 2019, 09:29:59 PM »
I was waiting so long for a sale for games for the Nintendo Switch, but they just wouldn't materialize, so I thought "Screw it, I'll just buy one now." That game I bought was Game Dev Story, and already it's the best Video Game Development Simulator I played so far (Game Dev Tycoon is the other one.)! I love how it's easier to earn money and keep a dedicated fanbase in this game than in Game Dev Tycoon, which is far too realistic (in a bad way) for my tastes. I have yet to get a game over in Game Dev Story and so far, I just keep going on the up and up! I love it!

I have a weakness for Kairosoft games. They're always a little bit buggy, a little bit cheaply made, but there's a strange kind of charm to their games and I can't put them down.