login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 646750 times)

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 510
  • Bowsette is bae
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6765 on: January 02, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »
And now that I finished Bayonetta 2, I’ll have to buy it as well.

Did you ever play the first Xenoblade Lesbunny?  I remember enjoying that one quite a bit too.

Not yet, but I'm planning on grabbing it for my 3ds when I finish Xc2

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3157
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6766 on: January 05, 2019, 01:23:14 AM »
Picked up Unavowed. It's a point-and-click adventure in which you are a demon hunter (and former demon host). Creepy and dark, but never to the point of being off-putting. It's made by the same guy who made the excellent Blackwell games, and so far, this is proof that he's getting even better at storytelling and adventure game design.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1521
« Reply #6767 on: January 05, 2019, 05:58:47 AM »
I’m all addicted to Xenoblade 2 now. I’m enjoying it thoroughly. I like the characters for the most part, and the story is actually pretty good. Haven’t wanted to skip any of the cutscenes, and the character’s motivations all make sense. I also really like the world they have created.

Plus combat is fun. Very busy and crazy when you really get going, and it’s hard to target who you want, but they keep it more interesting than you’re standard MMO. I like that they chuck health potions around which forces you to move instead of staying static. Still getting used to all the systems though, because there are a ton.  And for whatever reason I don’t mind doing fetch quests here, where I hate them in MMOs. Maybe because it’s a lot faster?  I don’t know.

Why Pyra has such giant, strange looking breasts escapes me though. It’s like someone put a decimal point in the wrong place.  The rest of the character designs I like so far, and are pretty cool. But Pyra is beyond the point of being anime-attractive, it’s just silly.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 727
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6768 on: January 06, 2019, 10:46:02 AM »
So I started playing Monster Hunter: World yesterday, and I just realized I misspelled my Calico's name. It was supposed to be "Victoria", named after one of my three black cats: Victoria, Albert and Urchin. But I spelled it "Victororia". Yeah, I was pretty drunk.

Damned if I'm going to restart the game just to fix a spelling error. That's far from the stupidest name I've ever given a character in an RPG.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 546
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #6769 on: January 06, 2019, 11:21:28 AM »
I can tell you what a lot of other people will not be playing for Christmas, and that's the Playstation classic. No kidding, I went into Walmart today and there were at least 10 of them sitting on a clearance table for $59.00 each. Even I feel sorry for Sony now.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 164
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6770 on: January 06, 2019, 11:22:38 AM »
I can tell you what a lot of other people will not be playing for Christmas, and that's the Playstation classic. No kidding, I went into Walmart today and there were at least 10 of them sitting on a clearance table for $59.00 each. Even I feel sorry for Sony now.

Whoa. Sony really dropped the ball there.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 256
« Reply #6771 on: January 06, 2019, 11:35:05 AM »
"Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" text game. Can be played for free here:
http://zorkonline.net/

Offline CJones

« Reply #6772 on: January 06, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »
"Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" text game. Can be played for free here:
http://zorkonline.net/

Don't even get me started on that game. I tried to play it in high school, on a Commodore 64. I got as far as activating the Infinite Improbability Drive before I got stuck.

I found out years later what you were supposed to do was erase your Common Sense so you could hold Tea and No Tea at the same time.... **** you game.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5122
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #6773 on: January 06, 2019, 12:33:48 PM »
Been playing Dragonball Fighterz, which is a blast.  Also have Smash Brothers and a Switch waiting for me to open.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 546
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #6774 on: January 08, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »
This isn't strictly about playing a game, so forgive me I'm going to ask for some latitude here. Anyways I was thinking with all the games I'm pre-ordering over the next month or two I might need to pick up something to expand the memory on my Xbox one. So I went to Walmart today and they have a 3 TB HDD for the Xbox one, but it cost a little too much. I know what you're all going to say but I would prefer to get a product that is specifically meant for the Xbox one. I mean with the tech we have right now, can't hardware engineers fit 3 TB of memory on a flash drive and make it relatively affordable?

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 256
« Reply #6775 on: January 08, 2019, 07:47:46 PM »
Prices come down as tech becomes gets older, but my experience with larger flash drives (anything over 128GB including some 128GB drives) has been that they still have a big problem with overheating.

Personally, I just don't have time to play a lot of modern games. And being an old fart, I get pissed off by some of the mico-transactions/loot boxes that too many modern games feature- when I buy a game, I want the full game. And get off of my lawn you annoying kids!

Anyway, I've been big into retro gaming lately- considering going back and playing some of the Ultima games that I remember loving back in the day.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1521
« Reply #6776 on: January 08, 2019, 08:20:37 PM »
Prices come down as tech becomes gets older, but my experience with larger flash drives (anything over 128GB including some 128GB drives) has been that they still have a big problem with overheating.

Personally, I just don't have time to play a lot of modern games. And being an old fart, I get pissed off by some of the mico-transactions/loot boxes that too many modern games feature- when I buy a game, I want the full game. And get off of my lawn you annoying kids!

Anyway, I've been big into retro gaming lately- considering going back and playing some of the Ultima games that I remember loving back in the day.

It's not that you are old, it's that you remember a time before this shitty practice, and can see it for what it is: a money making scheme.  Loot boxes don't make games any more fun.  They are never added by the devs to increase the quality of the game.  It's all about money.  And I hope that lawyers continue to have success classifying loot boxes as gambling, because that's exactly what it is. 

Offline CJones

« Reply #6777 on: January 09, 2019, 04:21:23 AM »

It's not that you are old, it's that you remember a time before this shitty practice, and can see it for what it is: a money making scheme.  Loot boxes don't make games any more fun.  They are never added by the devs to increase the quality of the game.  It's all about money.  And I hope that lawyers continue to have success classifying loot boxes as gambling, because that's exactly what it is. 

I despise Pre-orders, Loot-Boxs, "mirco"transactions and some DLC. "Preorder" is code for "Buy our game sight unseen". Loot Boxes are straight up gambling, and usually for useless stuff. Mirco..no Macrotransactions are usually either pay to win of more useless stuff. The only thing I'm partly okay with is major DLC (Like Civ 5&6, and the Darksouls games). AAA games have gotten ludicrously expensive to produce, and many people have argued that the standard $60 price tag just doesn't cover a full AAA game anymore.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3157
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6778 on: January 09, 2019, 08:41:35 AM »
Back in the day that was "Insert Coin(s) To Continue," "Expansion Pack" and the occasional "Stuff Pack." They're exploitative for sure, but it's not ENTIRELY an old game/new game problem.

Preorders are a lot harder to justify in the digital age. I'm a sucker for limited special editions, and I'll preorder to get those, but it's been a very long time since I've been worried about a game selling out. And of course with digital games selling out isn't possible. (And there is NO reason to buy physical games on PC anymore, since physical games just open the online marketplace FOR you)

Loot boxes are the devil, but that phenomenon seems to be largely tied to online games. I'm pretty much all single-player these days, although I do have a handful of cell phone games that I need to get out from under their thumb.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 164
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6779 on: January 09, 2019, 09:59:49 AM »

I despise Pre-orders, Loot-Boxs, "mirco"transactions and some DLC. "Preorder" is code for "Buy our game sight unseen". Loot Boxes are straight up gambling, and usually for useless stuff. Mirco..no Macrotransactions are usually either pay to win of more useless stuff. The only thing I'm partly okay with is major DLC (Like Civ 5&6, and the Darksouls games). AAA games have gotten ludicrously expensive to produce, and many people have argued that the standard $60 price tag just doesn't cover a full AAA game anymore.

For pre-orders, it depends. Sometimes it's a game I KNOW I'll like because it's a remake/remaster (Katamari Damacy Reroll), or from a developer I love with consistent quality (like Supergiant Games, for instance), or from a franchise that hasn't let me down (for me, Dragon Quest). Sometimes, there are demos that would either confirm or scare me away (as with Mega Man 11). That being said, with the state of AAA games, I usually put it on my wishlist and wait for sales and buy indie most of the time. The worst thing that happens to me is that I've wasted money which I could get back.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:05:31 AM by Iron Curtain »