login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 592979 times)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2752
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6690 on: October 05, 2018, 11:10:19 PM »
Luigi's Mansion 3 for the Switch is due next year, I think.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 79
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6691 on: October 06, 2018, 06:46:30 AM »
Isn't there another Weegee Manson coming out, or am I thinking of the port?

There's another one coming out on the Switch as well. You're not mistaken.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #6692 on: October 06, 2018, 07:18:04 PM »
Finished Serious Sam HD The First Encounter today. Didn't find all of the secrets, but secrets weren't such that I don't feel the need to go back and find them all as most were just areas with some ammo or health that resulted in the spawning of more things to kill. Truthfully, the enemies were becoming a bit repetitive by the end, but the mindlessness of shooting wave after wave was cathartic and I'll likely play the Second Encounter HD soon (had played the OG non-HD First Encounter many years ago, but don't think I ever played the Second).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:48:28 PM by wihogfan »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2432
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6693 on: October 06, 2018, 07:31:50 PM »
We're playing Yoku's Island Express, and it's excellent. A metroidvania crossed with pinball. I really hope it's the beginning of a new franchise.
FINE

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6694 on: October 06, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »
I picked up Mega Man 11 and I'm enjoying it more than a lot of people seem to be. I actually dig the art style and the gameplay is vintage Mega Man (For better and worse.) It's not the kind of game I can play any time, but there's a certain itch I get now and then for a punishing game, and this one fits the bill nicely.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1299
« Reply #6695 on: October 06, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »
We're playing Yoku's Island Express, and it's excellent. A metroidvania crossed with pinball. I really hope it's the beginning of a new franchise.

Loved that game. I hope we see more of it as well.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 266
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #6696 on: October 13, 2018, 12:53:18 PM »
I got a VERY cheap game on the 3DS Eshop channel recently called "Penguin Hop". I guess it was worth the $1.49 I paid for it, but it involves very little in the way of game play. You press right on the D-pad and the Penguin hops 2 spaces or "twice", and pressing left on the d-pad makes the Penguin hop "once". The screen is constantly scrolling and there are holes in the ice you must traverse so if you press the wrong direction you risk the Penguin going into the water. I think I can go the rest of my life without playing this again. Then I thought... wait a minute, can't Penguins swim?!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 12:55:22 PM by Russoguru »

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #6697 on: October 16, 2018, 10:50:48 AM »
Very much enjoying Minit on the Switch.

I've got to play Minit after a sale. The description of the concept of this game does not do the game justice; it is one of those games that you could just pick up and play and make progress easily in short bursts of time, therefore making it a perfect game for the Switch!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2432
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6698 on: October 16, 2018, 04:50:09 PM »

I've got to play Minit after a sale. The description of the concept of this game does not do the game justice; it is one of those games that you could just pick up and play and make progress easily in short bursts of time, therefore making it a perfect game for the Switch!

My only complaint is that it is really short. I was shocked when I finished it.
FINE

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #6699 on: October 17, 2018, 08:48:46 AM »

My only complaint is that it is really short. I was shocked when I finished it.

Oh my. But I'm okay with that. I'm fine with playing games I could then delete or sell later…
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:58:16 AM by Iron Curtain »

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6700 on: October 17, 2018, 06:58:22 PM »
Konami just released a totally free phone game called Pixel Puzzle Collection. It's Picross, but the answers are all classic Konami characters.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #6701 on: October 18, 2018, 09:06:22 AM »
I've been playing Super Smash Bros on my 2DS XL... but in a limited capacity. See I find it kinda fun to just spectate on battles and even bet on who's going to win the next round. Unfortunately for about... 55% of the time I lose my bet. That always sucks, but then again I think I have most of the trophies in the game so I'm not really all that concerned.

I was doing some house cleaning on my 2DS XL, going through my library and erasing the games that I either don't play that frequently or just get too frustrated with that I can't do anything with them. Castlevania III is a prime example, I'm currently stuck on a level where all the blocks are falling and you have to wait for them to fall so you can climb them to get to the next part of the stage. It's a LOT more difficult than it sounds because no matter where I step... I keep getting blocks falling on my head. Guess that makes me a blockhead, huh?

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 519
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6702 on: October 19, 2018, 05:18:49 PM »
X-Com 2:War of the Chosen

I suck at X-Com. Never finished the original (as in the original original), nor Enemy Unknown, nor Enemy Within, nor vanilla X-Com 2. But damn if this series keeps drawing me back in. So wish me luck.

This is, IMHO, the best iteration so far. There's just so much going on. Sometimes it can be overwhelming, but it still feels cohesive. Vanilla X-Com 2 really felt like a shadow of it's predecessor at launch, but now it has surpassed it. This is really what the game should have been from the start, but DLC is the rule these days.

There are also now options to limit the rate of advancement of the Avatar Project, as well as increase other time limits, which is great news for me. One of my biggest complaints about the game was that it was just too stressful. It's bad enough that you have to plan out base building, international relations and squad composition. But to do all that under a strict time limit was just too much.

Finally, Firaxis recently released a free DLC for owners of War of the Chosen, that allows you to play legacy missions recounting the events of the the 20 years between X-Com 1 and 2. The sheer amount of content at this point is colossal.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #6703 on: October 19, 2018, 07:42:43 PM »
I went to AFAIK the only HUGE arcade within 300 miles of me, Round 1 it's called, it's at my local mall. Anyway I had some credits remaining on my card so I decided to play the Mario Kart game. I know that sounds silly considering I have Mario Kart on my 2DS but show me somewhere within driving distance of my house where I can sit in what feels like the driving seat, complete with brake, gas pedals and a steering wheel? Anyway I paid... I swear, it said 6.8 Credits. I was like... that's a little high, but whatever. Anyway I played my race, got first place... then it said game over. Now, I have perfectly good self control so I know better than to scream WTF at the top of my lungs, but I was REALLY not happy about that. I left, and I may or may not go back, depending on whether or not they manage to somehow stay in business in a town that's not really all that big on arcades. Honestly, I do hope they manage to pay their bills and stay open because they have bowling too, and an Aliens arcade game that I actually kind of dig.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 519
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #6704 on: October 19, 2018, 10:50:09 PM »
Consider yourself lucky to have an arcade at all.

I was a HUGE fan of arcades growing up. Throughout high school there was an arcade literally one block from my house. I walked there nearly every day. They knew me by name, and I knew the owner and all the regulars. Some of the best times of my life were spent in arcades. That place is long gone, as is every other arcade I used to frequent. At least a dozen or so. AFAIK, the only arcade within 50 miles still open is in Virginia Beach, at the oceanfront. Not only is that just too far to visit regularly, but the camaraderie just isn't there. Some people believe you don't need arcades when you can play with people online from around the world. But I can tell you, it's just not the same.