Author Topic: WOOOO! I just beat ________!!!!!  (Read 84542 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1220
Re: WOOOO! I just beat ________!!!!!
« Reply #630 on: March 04, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »
Beat FFXII.  Good stuff, though it's a long game and I started to tire of the two long dungeons at the end.  Good characters and story though.  But beating it let me move on to...

Into the Breach.  It's the next game by the people who made FTL.  It shares some similarities, in that it's a rougelike with some features that carry over to new play throughs, but it's also quite different.  Each level is kind of like a puzzle, but sometimes without a perfect answer.  And unlike FTL, which I have never beaten, I was able to beat ITB on the first try!  Wooo!  But just barely.  Still quite a difficult game.  But perhaps a little less punishing and random than FTL.  And now I've unlocked some different mechs so I'm sure I'll be playing again.

EDIT:  Wow I’m a liar. Completely forgot that I lost on the last mission of the first island on my first try. On my second try I completed the game, doing 4 islands.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:47:19 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2358
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #631 on: March 08, 2018, 10:53:42 AM »
Just beat "The Sexy Brutale". A fun little puzzle game involving time travel powers and solving a series of murders at a masquerade party in a mansion with a somewhat predictable twist at the end.

You spend a lot of the game tracking the movements of victims and the mansion staff that are killing them, then going back to the beginning of the day to try and learn more, disrupt the plans, save a victim or two at a time and gain more powers. The actions of the day repeat exactly over the course of "12 hours" which translates to minutes of game time, so despite the murders it's kind of a relaxing game. You can take your time and go back any time you miss something, and you can learn everything by following the right people and peeking through keyholes.

My one complaint is how short it is. I completed it in about five hours and I don't think it'll be that replayable, but it was pretty cheap. I think I picked it up for $19.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2512
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #632 on: May 23, 2018, 10:14:01 AM »
Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation is a done deal! After playing Fates almost non-stop since it came out, you'd think I'd be sick of Fire Emblem by now, but I'm not.

My next step is to run the series. Kinda. I'm going for remakes wherever possible to minimize importing. I'm going to need to delve into the murky waters of Repro carts to play them the way I want to, but I want to experience the whole shebang. Here's how it's going to go down:

1) Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
2) Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
3) Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (Repro cart for DS)
4) Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Repro cart for SNES)
5) Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Repro cart for SNES)
6) Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade (Repro Cart for GBA)
7) Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
8 ) Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
9) Fire Emblem: Path of Radience
10) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
11) Fire Emblem: Awakening
12) Fire Emblem: Fates

That'll keep me busy for a while. There's way less importing involved than I thought there'd be.

Offline Lesbunny

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 149
  • Dunno why I came back
« Reply #633 on: May 23, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »
Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation is a done deal! After playing Fates almost non-stop since it came out, you'd think I'd be sick of Fire Emblem by now, but I'm not.

My next step is to run the series. Kinda. I'm going for remakes wherever possible to minimize importing. I'm going to need to delve into the murky waters of Repro carts to play them the way I want to, but I want to experience the whole shebang. Here's how it's going to go down:

1) Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
2) Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
3) Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (Repro cart for DS)
4) Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Repro cart for SNES)
5) Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Repro cart for SNES)
6) Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade (Repro Cart for GBA)
7) Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
8 ) Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
9) Fire Emblem: Path of Radience
10) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
11) Fire Emblem: Awakening
12) Fire Emblem: Fates

That'll keep me busy for a while. There's way less importing involved than I thought there'd be.

Be advised: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn had a translation error that changed the difficulty settings from Normal, Hard, Lunatic into Easy Normal and Hard. I can't remember the specific game, but it was considered by most westerners the hardest FE game because everyone actually playing on Hard. I need to go through and play all of the Fire Emblem games, too, though the GBA/GC/Wii games are expensive as hell to get.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #634 on: May 23, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm fortunate that I've been buying Fire Emblem games as they've come out, so I avoided the insane markup some of them had. I never got around to Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, so I'm looking forward to getting around to those finally.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #635 on: May 28, 2018, 05:25:56 PM »
Finally slayed the spire in Slay the Spire!  Was not easy, not in the least.  Took a bunch of luck, and the willpower to resist new cards once I had a deck that was working well.  I think that was one of my biggest mistakes in past runs, I would always take a card, even if it didn't exactly fit with what I had.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 171
  • "They belong here more than we"
« Reply #636 on: May 30, 2018, 06:59:41 PM »
I don't know if this counts, but I beat the demo for... Miitopia. As far as RPG's go, I actually kind of liked it. That's very unusual given that these days I find RPG's to be sooooooo slow or just plain boring. I don't like walking/running through endless fields or plains on what seems to be a never ending map. That has put me off a lot of RPG's over the past several years. What I REALLY liked about Miitopia was the character interactions, the crazy weaponry(A magic staff with a lollipop at one end? Seriously?), and the fact that I could actually use my own personal Mii within the game. It was also fun to strengthen the relationships between my characters, that was a neat aspect of the game.

Truthfully though, I'm really not sure I want to plunk down 40 bucks for the full game.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #637 on: May 30, 2018, 07:36:34 PM »
I like Miitopia. The full game gives you more classes and teammates. It gets a little repetitive, but it's lots of fun while it lasts.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 38
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #638 on: June 07, 2018, 07:21:55 PM »
I finished West of Loathing. It was a great ride and I'm sad to see it go (…off into the sunset, I guess).

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 38
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #639 on: June 08, 2018, 06:34:13 AM »
Also, I finished Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. The final boss was real tough, even on Casual mode, but finishing the game sure was worth it. Can't wait for Ritual of the Night to come out!

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 435
« Reply #640 on: June 09, 2018, 08:15:29 AM »
Also, I finished Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. The final boss was real tough, even on Casual mode, but finishing the game sure was worth it. Can't wait for Ritual of the Night to come out!

Grr, still working on the last stage. Congratulations.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 435
« Reply #641 on: June 09, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »
Right on your tail, I also just finished Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. All Veteran, all the time baby  8)

Now let's see what this "Nightmare" mode is all about.

EDIT: Nightmare mode is no joke  :speechless:

Offline linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #642 on: June 09, 2018, 05:32:58 PM »
Be advised: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn had a translation error that changed the difficulty settings from Normal, Hard, Lunatic into Easy Normal and Hard. I can't remember the specific game, but it was considered by most westerners the hardest FE game because everyone actually playing on Hard. I need to go through and play all of the Fire Emblem games, too, though the GBA/GC/Wii games are expensive as hell to get.

It's Radiant Dawn with the translation error. The first story chapters are brutal on "Normal" because there are a lot of enemies and only a couple characters can take a hit, meaning you have to take great care in protecting the rest of the characters. I liked easy mode better. Having a lot of enemies does become tedious at times, especially in the later chapters. Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn are my favorite Fire Emblem games.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #643 on: June 13, 2018, 03:45:25 PM »
Beat Yoku’s Island 100%. Great game. Good length. Highly recommended.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #644 on: June 24, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
And finally finished the story in Battletech.  The story itself was rubbish, but I wasn’t playing for the story.  Decent game overal, but maybe wait for it to go on sale if you’re considering a purchase.