Author Topic: Master Pancake!  (Read 1125 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Master Pancake!
« on: November 13, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »
I wasn't sure whether or not to put this in "Fan Riffing" or not, because Master Pancake seems like a fairly professional outfit these days, but this was the closest category I could come up with.

I've posted here and there about them, but if you haven't heard of them, Master Pancake is the successor to "Mister Sinus Theater" (Gee, why did Best Brains send them that cease and desist letter about that name?).  They're a life riffing group that tours several shows between Alamo Drafthouse locations in Texas.  I've caught them several times now in Houston, and they also have frequent shows in Austin and San Antonio.  The cast rotates frequently, usually including John Erler and Joe Parsons.  They've had a few high-profile guests as well, the first show I saw of theirs was Twilight: New Moon with Mary Jo Pehl.  I've heard that Joel has also riffed with them before. 

The one kind of frustrating thing about them is its hard to get information on them, they don't seem to have a website of their own, and through they have a presence on Facebook there's not a whole lot of information on it except for planning and aftermath of specific shows on their tour schedule.

If you're close enough to catch one of their shows, I highly recommend it, though I should probably warn some that they do get raunchy.  The jokes are often on the "R rated" side, including the skits they do in the middle of the film.  (Two of the four shows I've seen to date have involved the performers stuffing fake dongs into tights).

So far, other than the Twilight show, I've seen Batman Forever, Labyrinth, and Predator.  This weekend I'm going to see Interview With the Vampire at the 6 o'clock show at the Mason Park Alamo.  If anyone else can make it, keep an eye out for Erica and I and come say hi.

RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline MantapusProductions

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Re: Master Pancake!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 01:16:05 PM »
Never seen them live, but Ive heard really good stuff. 

Several of Alamo Drafthouse's other locations had live riffs under Doug Benson's "The Movie Interruption" brand every week for a year or so, I performed on the Kansas City leg of that a lot.  Unfortunately my trips to texas usually have me on the Dallas side of the state, so I havnt made it out. 

Alamo Drafthouse in general seems to really support live riffing and other unique performances Ive always been a fan of them.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:37:39 PM by MantapusProductions »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:52:44 AM »
I've been hoping to catch a Movie Interruption sometime, I think it's been at an Alamo near me once and I missed it.

Alamo's been on my good side since before I even moved near one thanks to their anti-cell phone announcement going viral, and once I got to Houston they became one of the greatest places ever for giving me the chance to shake Bruce Campbell's hand my first day in town.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 04:41:36 AM »
Went to Con Air last night, nothing like some Nick Cage cheese. Not sure I'd even seen this whole movie before, and I have to agree with their assessment that even though Michael Bay didn't direct it, it is perhaps the Michael Bayest movie ever made.

Knowing that John had a birthday the night before, and that he was a Skeletor enthusiast, Erica convinced me to wear a Skelator shirt and sing Happy Birthday to him in the Skelator voice after the show.  It was only slightly awkward, but he seemed to get a kick out of it and responded "thank you, I love Katharine Hepburn."

gum.co/RFTthing