login

Author Topic: Alanis's Humps  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Jubilee

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
  • Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.
    • Devious
Re: Alanis's Humps
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2007, 09:06:42 PM »
Loves it.

"X-Men come back more times than Jesus."

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2007, 09:50:40 AM »
I think this is one of the funniest cover song choices out there. 

I think my favorite by far is Richard Cheese doing "Somebody Told Me" by THE KILLERS.  He turned that one into one of the most depressing songs in history. 

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 11:12:48 AM »
it was funny, i liked it

I think the Black Eyed Peas and their spinoff act is one of the lamest things to happen to music
I really do like pie.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 01:07:30 PM »
I agree, cant stand the Black Eyed Peas

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1219
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »
Have you heard them before the stripper joined?
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 01:28:39 PM »
no, but I generally dislike college rap it has no edge to it. There are a couple groups I like, such as Atmosphere and Hydrophonics but thats probably just my Minnesota bias. When it comes to my personal mainstream preferences gimme 50 Cent and Eminem any day, gives the music an uncensored quality. College rap (like Black Eyed Peas... I'm guessing) is tame and uninteresting.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:34:45 PM by Minnesota »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1219
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 01:29:40 PM »
Have a listen to their first two albums, it's WORLDS different to what they do now.
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 01:33:17 PM »
twisting my arm on this one, huh?  I'll look for it next time I'm raiding the oldies section of my fav rap boards, maybe your right?

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2007, 06:07:47 PM »
 :clap:

I hope more people see this video and realize just how completely pointless and trite pop music is. People need to wake up and realize that when they listen to shit like the original song, it ultimately hurts all of us because legitimate, talented artists get pushed out of the way for the "next big thing".

America, I command you to stop being lazy and ignorant. Fergie is the lamest of the brain-dead, talentless, flashy hos. Focus on music that ISN'T being forced down your throats by major record labels and radio stations. You have a choice in this matter. If it's fun music you like, it can be found if you do a little digging.
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2007, 06:54:45 PM »
You have a choice in this matter. If it's fun music you like, it can be found if you do a little digging.
Problem is that most indie music is just as trite and formulaic as chart stuff. Usually, it's just timbre, production and performance that's different. Mostly, the structure, tonality, melodies and harmonies are very, very similar to chart music.

If I had a nickle for every supposedly underground song that could be turned into a chart hit with the right production and marketing, I'd be a supergazillionaire.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline zaxxon25

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • BoC Thurs
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2007, 10:47:15 AM »
You have a choice in this matter. If it's fun music you like, it can be found if you do a little digging.
Problem is that most indie music is just as trite and formulaic as chart stuff. Usually, it's just timbre, production and performance that's different. Mostly, the structure, tonality, melodies and harmonies are very, very similar to chart music.

If I had a nickle for every supposedly underground song that could be turned into a chart hit with the right production and marketing, I'd be a supergazillionaire.

I can understand the point you're trying to make here (after all, enough marketing $ made a hit out of Modest Mouse - something I would not have predicted) but the more I consider it the more I disagree.

First off, if you change the "timbre, production and performance" of a song you're changing the song.  Radically.  You act like these are just minor tweaks, but put Bob Rock on a song instead of Bob Pollard and it will be a completely different song.  The band will receive different direction, both the execution and the elements of the song changes.  Nirvana's 3 albums are a high-profile case study of this.

I also notice you ignore lyrics in your analysis.  Which to me is one of the defining differences in indie music, while they can be just as underwritten they rarely pander with marketing-focus-group patter like the pre-packaged stuff tends to do.

I mean - the structure/melodies of the Supremes, the Ramones, and Hanson are similar but they couldn't be more different from an execution standpoint.