Author Topic: Alanis's Humps  (Read 6141 times)

Offline MarkAndrew

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
Re: Alanis's Humps
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 07:01:31 AM »
That video was disturbing and, well, pointless.  Was there a point to it?
It reminded me of when Tori Amos covered "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...except I LIKED the Tori Amos cover.  :-)

That said, I really liked Jagged Little Pill, and I would do Alais, Fiona or Tori in a heartbeat...but then I'm a man slut.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 07:56:07 AM »
That was very odd.  I don't mind her voice, so that wasn't a problem.  But she made a goofy, silly little song into something very sad and depressing.  As a joke it doesn't work because the music and the vocals actually made it about, like, demeaning yourself for money, or something... which I guess it is, but...  kind of creepy really...

Yeah, and I liked Jagged Little Pill, too. But nothing really after that.  Her later work sounded like she set all of her therapy sessions to rambling, noodly music:

"My father didn't like me so I went to the store and I bought some stuff then my boyfriend called and he said he was going to LA and then I cried as I went down the stairs to get some milk I drank milk and thought of cows and cried some more..."  Gonna get to a point anytime there, Alanis?
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 08:14:29 AM »
That was very odd.  I don't mind her voice, so that wasn't a problem.  But she made a goofy, silly little song into something very sad and depressing.  As a joke it doesn't work because the music and the vocals actually made it about, like, demeaning yourself for money, or something... which I guess it is, but...  kind of creepy really...

Yeah, and I liked Jagged Little Pill, too. But nothing really after that.  Her later work sounded like she set all of her therapy sessions to rambling, noodly music:

"My father didn't like me so I went to the store and I bought some stuff then my boyfriend called and he said he was going to LA and then I cried as I went down the stairs to get some milk I drank milk and thought of cows and cried some more..."  Gonna get to a point anytime there, Alanis?

I think she's angry and moody just for the sake of being angry and moody. I bet she had an awesome childhood full of sunshine and cute bunnies. But sunshine and cute bunnies don't sell records.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 08:37:35 AM »
Better executions of the same basic idea; Nina Gordon's Straight Outta Compton, Frazier Chorus's Anarchy in the UK and Tori Amos's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I love that Nina Gordon version of "Straight Outta Compton." Tori's cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" never struck me as a parody, though.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 08:38:39 AM »
It was supposed to be an April Fools joke (the video that is) from what my lovely lady lumps and I understand.

She didn't look too forlorn and abused on YCDTOT.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:41:02 AM by AmandaGal »
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 08:42:42 AM »
i always liked her though....

sigh

whose gonna start flaming me now?

Not me. I like her just fine, although she's one of those artists I have to be in a certain mood to appreciate.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2192
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 08:44:43 AM »
Better executions of the same basic idea; Nina Gordon's Straight Outta Compton, Frazier Chorus's Anarchy in the UK and Tori Amos's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I love that Nina Gordon version of "Straight Outta Compton." Tori's cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" never struck me as a parody, though.
Don't forget Weird Al's cover of Bohemian Rhapsody. :^)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 961
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 08:49:56 AM »

sigh

I got your back too, Sarc. I've liked many of her songs as well, and I've even seen her in concert. (Granted, I was there for the band that she opened for, but I still saw her.)

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 08:51:07 AM »

sigh

Not me. I like her just fine, although she's one of those artists I have to be in a certain mood to appreciate.

I agree.  If I'm in a pissed off mood, she's perfect.  She makes me want to go out and castrat, err, I mean, listening to her is a good way to vent your frustrations in a healthy manner.

Seriously though, I've always like her edgier stuff better than her attempts at being sappy (ie: Head Over Feet.  We know you're going to  go off on the dude and impale him with your guitar pick in like 30 seconds, so stop trying to pretend you love him already  :D).

But I guess that's most women. We are prone to mood swings.  "I love you so much honey [walks out of the room, comes back]  What did you say?  YOUR GOING TO DIE YOU BASTARD." :)

Perhaps that is hyperbole but most of you guys would probably think it was kinda close at least.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2192
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 08:55:47 AM »
I might admit to thinking that, but it would depend on the particular mood of the women in the room at the moment I did.. :^)

acoletterose

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 09:14:36 AM »
I liked some of her songs, but if you listen to them enough they tend to get extremely annoying, and I find myself trying to argue with them...

Personally, I like parodies OF her better

[yt=425,350]ODEvrUGQzgA[/yt]

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 09:34:30 AM »
Honestly, though, Alanis doing My Humps?

Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 09:40:41 AM »
I liked some of her songs, but if you listen to them enough they tend to get extremely annoying, and I find myself trying to argue with them...

Personally, I like parodies OF her better

[yt=425,350]ODEvrUGQzgA[/yt]

You're saying that isn't Alanis? Who can even hope to copy her harsh, nasal yodel?

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 10:04:51 AM »
I like the guy we see with 3:00 left in the video who looks like he's trying to solve an imaginary Rubik's Cube.

I actually found this a lot more bearable than the original, and I find Alanis's voice very grating.  Sure, it was excessively whiny in this vid, but it seemed to make her singing about dolce and Gabbana much more amusing.  Either way, I still cringe when I hear the chorus, whether we're dealing with Fergie's or Alanis's "lovely little lumps" here.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 11:14:27 PM »
Ben Folds version of Dre's Bitches Ain't Shit is both hilarious, actually a good song in its own right, and fairly affectionate towards the original.

Damn straight. Ben Folds' "Bitches Ain't Shit," featuring a guest verse from very English drummer Lindsay Jameson:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3C4N6p78io" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3C4N6p78io</a>