Author Topic: LoC 82- Top 51 Simpsons Characters  (Read 22588 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1007
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: LoC 82- Top 51 Simpsons Characters
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2014, 03:29:28 PM »
Number 15: Chief Clarence Wiggum

75 Points
(6 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #6 by Cole Stratton)

Biography:
Commisioner Clarence “Clancy” Wiggum is the police chief of the Springfield Police Department. He is rather fat and rather lazy. Chief Wiggum is also rather corrupt and will often take bribes, illegally seize property for his own personal use. Despite his incompetence, he still maintains his job, possibly due to having blackmail material on the Mayor. Or perhaps it's because they “Just didn't care.”

He is married with one son, Ralph. In the past he has coached a local pee wee hockey team, acted in local theater productions and was in a barbershop quartet for a brief time. At some point, he may move to New Orleans to become a P.I.

Voiced By:
Hank Azaria

First Appearance:
“Homer's Odyssey” - Season 1, Episode 3

Notes:
Wiggum's original voice was based on David Brinkley's but over the seasons it shifted towards that of Edward G. Robinson.

Up Next:
Maker of the non toxic men's cologne!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
Number 14: Herschel Shmoikel Pinchas Yerucham Krustofsky

78 Points
(7 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #3 by Psycho Goatee)

Biography:
Herschel Shmoikel Pinchas Yerucham Krustofsky is better known as Krusty the Clown, a clown who is the host of the Krusty the Clown Show in Springfield.

Born to a Rabbicanal family, Herschel instead became an entertainer.  He started off as a street mime in Tupelo, Mississippi. Over time, he used his success as a children's entertainer to create a vast business empire. Unfortunately, Krusty's businesses tend to deal in rather shoddy products. He was also a Republican member of Congress for several years.

Krusty has several illegitimate children and adopted several more with Mia Farrow. His parents are deceased, but he has a half-brother, Luke Perry. He was recently engaged to a co-worker on the Krusty Show, Princess Penelope.

Voiced By:
Dan Castellaneta

First Appearance:
“The Krusty the Clown Show” - Tracy Ulman short

Notes:
The original concept for Krusty was that Krusty was, in fact, Homer Simpson.  Groening wanted to contrast the idea that Bart worshiped Krusty but had no respect for his father when in fact, they were the same person. But this idea was dropped while the shorts were still airing due to the idea being too complex.

After the initial success of the show, Groening tried to launch a live-action Krusty spinoff which would star Dan Castellaneta.

The Jewish Museum in NYC includes Krusty in their list of famous Jewish entertainers.

Up Next:
He spent time in Albuquerque too.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2014, 03:49:16 PM »
[
Number 13: Waylon J. Smithers, Jr.

82 Points
(7 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #9 by Relaxing Dragon)
Biography:
Waylon Smithers is Mr. Burns' executive assistant at the Springfield Nuclear Plant. He is a devoted Malibu Stacy collector, and has dabbled in playwriting.

Smithers  is not openly gay, but is quite smitten with Mr. Burns.

Voiced By:
Harry Shearer

First Appearance:
“Homer's Odyssey” - Season 1, Episode 3

Notes:
Early in the series, the series writers would often describe Smithers as a “Burnssexual” implying that Smithers was only interest in Mr. Burns.

In Smithers' first appearance, he was black, but this was apparently due to a coloring error.

Up Next:
Politeness reigns supreme!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:56:22 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »
Number 12: Dr. Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, Ph.D. Jr.

82 Points
(6 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #6 by C Jones & ScottotD)

Biography:
Dr. Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, Ph.D. Jr. is the manager of the Kwik-E Mart near the Simpsons home. He initially moved to Springfield to work in computer science, designing a tic tac toe program. He then took a job at the Kwik-E Mart to  repay his student loans. He later became a member of the Grammy-award winning B-Sharps barbershop quartet. He tends to be a bit of a workaholic.

He has an arranged marriage to Manjula and the pair have octuplets. He also has one brother in the States, Sanjay.

Voiced By:
Hank Azaria

First Appearance:
“The Telltale Head” -Season 1, Episode 8

Notes:
Originally, the convenience store owner was not supposed to be an immigrant, as the writing staff felt that to be offensive, but Hank Azaria ad-libbed the “Hello Mr. Homer” line, so it was changed.

Up Next:
And he's just as polite as Apu.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:55:37 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »

Number 11: Nedward Flanders Jr.

87 Points
(5 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #2 by C Jones)

Biography:
New Flanders is the next door neighbor of the Simpson family. He is well known for his good natured temperament and his firm religiousness. He originally sold pharmaceuticals but later used his saved money to open a store devoted to left handed geared items, The Leftorium. He is also a devoted fan of The Beatles.

He is the son of beatnik parents and has two children, Rod and Todd. He has been married multiple times- originally to Maude Flanders, who perished in a freak t-shirt gun accident. While he was married to Maude, he married Las Vegas showgirl Ginger while in a drunken haze. After having the marriage to Ginger annulled, he later began dating Edna Krabappel and the pair later quietly married and remained so until her death.

Voiced By:
Harry Shearer/Frank Welker

First Appearance:
“Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire” - Season 1, Episode 1

Notes:
Flanders was originally just intended to be a neighbor that Homer was jealous of, due to his life being more successful in every way. However, over time practically every minor aspect of his personality became exaggerated. In his early appearances, Flanders was a mildly religious man who drank enough beer to have beer on tap in his basement. Later he was shown as a religious fundamentalist who drank nothing stronger than water and ate only white bread. The trend of this happening in media is now referred to as “Flanderization.”

Ned himself inspired a Led Zepplin tribute band called Ned Zepplin, who covered Zepplin songs, but with a Flandersish twist.

Peter Budaj, former goalie for the Colorado Avalanche and currently with the Winnipeg Jets, gained the  nickname of “Flanders” while playing with the Avs, and his current goalie mask features Ned Flanders flying an F-16.

Up Next:
We wrap this up, so that I can play in Draenor when it gets here! #1-10! The rest of your favorite characters! And, of course, the remaining members of The Simpson family! Excepting Lisa, who only got one vote. Poor Lisa. All this tomorrow!

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1384
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2014, 04:00:38 PM »

And, of course, the remaining members of The Simpson family! Excepting Lisa, who only got one vote. Poor Lisa. All this tomorrow!

But she got a Number 1 vote God damnit!!!!

Wait, if the only vote she got was a number 1 vote, she should have been on this list.....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:02:17 PM by anais.butterfly »
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure Compound is teasing just teasing.

Also, I demand video of Ned Zepplin!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6499
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »
After the initial success of the show, Groening tried to launch a live-action Krusty spinoff which would star Dan Castellaneta.
Wait, what?!

And I too am sad that Lisa didn't get more love. As a nerdy kid, I identified more with Lisa. I get that she is often a killjoy, but when she is written well, she's great. And often very funny.

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1577
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2014, 04:22:11 PM »
The Krusty series with beavers trying to eat his house, I thought that was common knowledge.

...pretty sure Lisa was on my list too. 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1091
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2014, 06:44:09 PM »
I had Lisa on my list. Twice. Which I only just now noticed. D'oh!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2014, 07:18:46 PM »
I think the second Lisa counts as Eliza.

And, again, Compound is just teasing.

I know that both Krusty and a certain other character who may appear here soon were considered for potential live action series (hint, said character looks a lot like his animated counterpart, though I don't think it was necessarily intended).  Both could have been interesting (I'd like to think that would have been a real-out there variety show that could have also been a showcase for weird entertainers, musicians and animators, like a more cynical muppet show).  Still, probably good that they didn't dilute their brand (at least not with more shows).

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1384
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2014, 02:20:28 AM »
I'm pretty sure Compound is teasing just teasing.

Oh. My bad.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2014, 02:36:49 AM »
Why did I phrase it so weird.  Was I tired or just Torgo-esque?

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2014, 05:50:24 PM »
Okay, the final 10.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2014, 05:51:29 PM »
Number 10: Dr. William "Willie" MacDougal III

95 Points
(9 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #2 by George Harrison)

Biography:
William MacDougal III is the red haired groundskeeper and janitor of Springfield Elementary School. He hails from Scotland (either from Kirkwall or North Kilttown.) He is also known as G.K. Willington Esquire and William MacMoran.

He was originally hired by Principal Skinner to be the school's swim coach, but after Skinner was trapped in the pool for three days, which had been filled with earthworms, Skinner had the pool destroyed and then transferred Willie over to the janitorial staff.

In the past, he has been romantically linked to both Shari Bobbins and Patty Bouvier.

Voiced By:
Dan Castenllaneta

First Appearance:
“Principal Charming” - Season 2, Episode 14

Notes:
The British newspaper The Times argues that Willie is the most recognizable Scot in the world.

Willie is the originator of the phrase”cheese eating surrender monkeys”  that is used to describe the French.

The Simpsons writers seem to have partially based Willie on Angus Crock, an angry Scottish character on SCTV played by Dave Thomas.

In the real world, Willie was a proponent of Scottish Independence in 2014 and recorded a video with his support.

Up Next:
A list without him? Unpossible.