login

Author Topic: LoC 82- Top 51 Simpsons Characters  (Read 22876 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: LoC 82- Top 51 Simpsons Characters
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
Number 28: Duffman

44 Points
(3 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #9 by Cole Stratton)

Biography:
Duffman is one of the multiple people who work as the mascot and spokesman for the Duff Brewing company.

Voiced By:
Hank Azaria

First Appearance:
“The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson” - Season 9, Episode 1

Notes:
Over the years, Duffman has died of liver failure, shot by Frank Grimes Jr., and died in a blimp crash.

Some of the people who have played Duffman are Arthur Duff, Joel Duffman, Barry Duffman, Sid, Larry and Chip Davis. Some Duffmans are womanizers while others have been gay.

Duffmann was also first created by Brad Bird.

Up Next:
An entry lacking in steak knives.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »
Number 27: Gil Gunderson

47 Points
(4 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #8 by Relaxing Dragon)

Biography:
Gil Gunderson is an unsuccessful and unlucky businessman in Springfield (and Scottsdale, AZ.)

At the age of six, Gil was hired by his eight-year-old brother to run his sidewalk lemonade stand for the afternoon. By the end of the day, he had bankrupted his brother's business and drank up all the remaining inventory. Since then, Gil has not managed to hold down one job for longer than a few days. He kept his job at Red Blazer Realty for over twenty years by selling his own house to himself several thousand times. Eventually, the house was destroyed in the Great Springfield Flood of '99, and with no other sales prospects, he was fired

Over the years, Gil has been a car salesman, real estate agent, a lawyer, an ad buyer for the local newspaper, an Amway distributor, a music manager, a bag clerk for the local supermarket, Apu's assistant at the Kwik-E-Mart, a mall Santa, a bank security guard, and handing out flyers for a strip club.

Voiced By:
Dan Castellaneta

First Appearance:
“Realty Bites” - Season 9, Episode 9

Notes:
Gil is loosely based on Jack Lemmon's character in “Glengarry, Glen Ross.”

Up Next:
How old is he? No one knows...

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »

Number 26: Hans Moleman

47 Points
(5 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #5 by Cole Stratton)

Biography:
Hans Moleman is a mole-like man with extremely bad luck. At various times, his age has been given as   26, 31, 70 and over 80. His father is still apparently alive and a resident of Springfield Retirement Castle though.

Voiced By:
Dan Castellaneta

First Appearance:
“Scary Movie” - Tracy Ulman Short/ “Principal Charming” - Season 2, Episode 14

Notes:
Hans' driver's license gives his name as “Ralph Melish” but this is contradicted in later episodes. His movie, “Mann Getting Hit by Football” credits him as Hans Moleman, for example.

Moleman had an affair with Lars Ulrich's grandmother.

Up Next:
Gnarly.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2014, 09:25:39 PM »
Number 25: Otto Mann

48 Points
(4 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #10 by George Harrison)

Biography:
Otto Mann is the bus driver for Springfield Elementary. He is also an aficionado of various mind altering substances.

He was engaged for a brief time and has had an affair with Agnes Skinner. He was also briefly married to Barney Gumble.

Voiced By:
Harry Shearer

First Appearance:
“Homer's Odyssey” - Season 1, Episode 3

Notes:
Otto once kept Metallica's Kirk Hammett from quitting the band after raising his lighter at a concert. However, he may have also killed the members of Spinal Tap, so that washes out.

Up Next:
Everything's coming up!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1654
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2014, 09:27:31 PM »
I was a little disappointed when I saw you put Duffman as the name and then the giggling started when I read the bio.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 09:27:34 PM »

Number 24: Milhouse Mussolini Van Houten

51 Points
(6 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #7 by Johnathan Unusual)

Biography:
Milhouse Van Houten is Bart's best friend/lackey. He is extremely near sighted. He is smart and loyal, but insecure and very gullible, as well as less popular than Bart. He is often led into trouble by Bart, who takes advantage of his friend's naïvete. Milhouse is also a regular target for school bullies Nelson Muntz and Dolph, Jimbo and Kearney. He also has a crush on Bart's sister, Lisa, which is used as a plot element in many episodes. Milhouse is one of the few residents in Springfield with visible, in fact rather thick, eyebrows. Milhouse is also of Italian descent and speaks it fluently.

Milhouse played the role of Fallout Boy in the first Radioactive Man movie.

Voiced By:
Pamela Hayden

First Appearance:
“Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire” - Season 1, Episode 1

Notes:
Milhouse has been on the FBI's most wanted list at least once.

Milhouse was actually created for a Butterfingers commercial, but Groening decided to incorporate him into the show.

Like Shaquille O'Neil, Milhouse is also secretly a Lego Master Builder.

Up Next:
Yeah, I miss her too.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6581
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »

Milhouse Mussolini Van Houten
Milhouse is hilarious. But I also see a lot of my childhood self in him.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »

Number 26: Hans Moleman

47 Points
(5 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #5 by Cole Stratton)

Notes:
Hans' driver's license gives his name as “Ralph Melish” but this is contradicted in later episodes. His movie, “Mann Getting Hit by Football” credits him as Hans Moleman, for example.

Which is a reference to Monty Python record sketch "The Adventures of Ralph Mellish".  Check it out!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 09:41:43 PM »
I was a little disappointed when I saw you put Duffman as the name and then the giggling started when I read the bio.

Yeah, his biography changes in every almost episode he's in. So you have to wonder, "Okay, is this the one who worked with the homeless in the episode where Santa's Little Helper became the Duff spokesdog or the one who worked with the Isotopes or the one who dated Booberella or the one dating Guido...?"

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
Number 23: Edna Krabappel

57 Points
(4 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #10 by Compound)

Biography:
Edna Krabappel was a teacher at Springfield Elementary. She held a Master's from Bryn Mawr. She moved to Springfield to teach, but after falling for young entrepreneur Moe Szyslak, she prepared to move out of town, only to reconsider after running across a young student named Bart who felt that on one believed in him anymore. She broke off the engagement and instead redevoted herself to teaching young students like Bart.

This may have been a mistake.

Since that time, Edna became rather bitter about the teaching profession.

Edna has been romantically linked to a number of Springfieldians including Joey Kramer from Aerosmith, Sideshow Bob, Akira the Sushi Chef, Lenny, Carl, Comic Book Guy, Krusty, Woodrow Wilson and Cletus. She has one ex-husband, and was engaged to both Moe and Principal Skinner. She later married Ned Flanders after the death of his wife. Unfortunately, she too passed away under unknown circumstances.

Voiced By:
Marcia Wallace

First Appearance:
“Bart the Genius” - Season 1, Episode 2

Notes:
Her last name is not Crandall.

FYI- According to her, Tilda Swinton's hairstyle in “Burn After Reading” was inspired by Edna's. No kidding.

Up Next:
Even Barbara Bush knows this character.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 09:43:53 PM »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
Number 22: Marjorie Simpson

60 Points
(6 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #9 by Johnny U)

Biography:
Marge Simpson is the matriarch of the Simpsons family. She is married to Homer and has three children.

She met Homer during high school and was initially cold towards him, although she did agree to go to prom with him. They fell in love and then dated for several years before becoming pregnant with Bart.

While generally a stay at home mom, she has also worked as a police officer, a supervisor at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant, the owner of several food franchises, an erotic cake maker and a realtor.

Voiced By:
Julie Kavner

First Appearance:
“Good Night” - Tracy Ullman Short

Notes:
Julie Kavner voiced Marge due to her being a cast member on the Tracy Ullman show. They saved costs that way as the show didn't then need to hire an additional voice actor.

Marge voted for Jimmy Carter. Twice.

Marge in 1987:

Marge in 2009:

Up Next:
Yet another in our long list of school employees.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »
Number 21: Seymour Skinner

61 Points
(6 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #6 by Relaxing Dragon)

Biography:
Seymour Skinner, aka Armin Tamzarian, is the Principal of Springfield Elementary school. Prior to that position, he worked as a science teacher and prior to that, he served as a Green Beret, spending time as a POW in Vietnam after watching his entire squad get eaten by an elephant. He also had a side job during his tenure as principal as a member of a Grammy Award winning barber shop quartet. Additionally, he is a member of Springfield's Mensa chapter.

He was briefly romantically linked to Patty Bouvier, but he had a long term relationship with Edna Krabappel, before the pair broke up over Skinner's refusal to separate from his mother. He later fell in love with a substitute music teacher and left Springfield to be with her, only to return months later with no explanation.

No, I'm not going to explain that episode.

Voiced By:
Harry Shearer

First Appearance:
“Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire” - Season 1, Episode 1

Notes:
Seymour has a metal plate in his posterior area.

His prisoner number in Vietnam was 24601, which is also the same prisoner number as Sideshow Bob and Jean Valjean.

Up Next:
#20-11! Today's theme was school employees! Next time, it's entrepreneurs! Yes, that means it's the owner of King Toot's time to shine!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »
We'll see about the posting schedule this weekend. It may happen. It may not. Until then, enjoy this from Spacecoyote:

The Simpsons staff gave her a job due to that image, BTW.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
I know while Marge, like Lisa, is often given the unenviable role as killjoy, she can be hilarious.  My favourite bits often involve her trying to be cool for her kids ("I'll crunk with you sweetie") and just kind of weird in her own way ("How about this potato?  It's pretty big." "Mom, you're always trying to give me potatoes." "I just think their neat."  Julie Kavner's delivery of that line, combined with the image of her examining the potato, is hilarious in a way impossible to articulate)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:15:22 AM by Johnny Unusual »