login

Author Topic: LoC 82- Top 51 Simpsons Characters  (Read 22548 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1007
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: LoC 82- Top 51 Simpsons Characters
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 05:59:49 PM »

Number 39: Lenford Leonard

22 Points
(2 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #14 by ScottotD)

Biography:
Lenford “Lenny” Leonard is a co-worker of Homer Simpson at the Springfield Nuclear Plant. He is often seen with his co-worker Carl.

At one time, Lenny was the CEO of the nuclear plant, after Mr. Burns went bankrupt. He's also been fired from the plant at least three times. Lenny teaches part time at the Springfield Learning Annex. Lenny has also written a series of mystery novels as well as having a brief acting career.  He also played guitar in the 90s grunge act Sadgasm.

Lenny is also a member of the NRA and possesses a “Dole/Kemp '96” tattoo. Lenny, like his friend Carl, has been described as a war hero by other Springfielders.

Voiced By:
Harry Shearer

First Appearance:
“Life on the Fast Lane” - Season 1, Episode 9

Notes:
Lenny is one of the few people on the show to have the same beard line as Homer.

Up Next:
His children include Jordan, Brittany and Cody.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1076
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 06:23:18 PM »
Number 51: Lenny & Carl
14 Points
(1 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #12 by C Jones)

Notes:
To preempt cries of “But I...” As noted in the submissions thread, anyone nominated as a duo would be counted as a duo. Voting for just one member of the duo was counted as a different entity.

Understandable. I threw my list together at what I thought would be the last second. I even asked if Lenny and Carl counted as one, in the submission thread, then forgot to ever check back to see what the answer was.  :P

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 06:35:25 PM »
Number 38: Cletus Del Roy Spuckler

25 Points
(2 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #8 by George Harrison)

Biography:
Cletus is a rural resident of Springfield who lives on Rural Route 9. He is generally seen as a 5th generation dirt farmer, but he has has been employed as a construction worker, paparazzi, vegetable stand owner and member of the US Marine Corps.

He is in a relationship with Brandine Spuckler, who has been described as Cletus' wife, sister, mother, half-sister and daughter. Cletus also has 44 children, one of whom was briefly engaged to Bart.

Voiced By:
Hank Azaria

First Appearance:
“Bart Gets an Elephant” - Season 5, Episode 17

Notes:
Cletus was able to distract EPA Chief Cargill, allowing the residents of Springfield to escape the dome surrounding the town. At least until Homer showed up.

The Spuckler family was once one of the leading families of Philadelphia and were societal rivals of the Burns family. But time has not been kind to them.

Up Next:
A person whose melodious voice is nearly on par with my own.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
14 Points

Notes:
To preempt cries of “But I...” As noted in the submissions thread, anyone nominated as a duo would be counted as a duo. Voting for just one member of the duo was counted as a different entity.

Understandable. I threw my list together at what I thought would be the last second. I even asked if Lenny and Carl counted as one, in the submission thread, then forgot to ever check back to see what the answer was.  :P

Yeah, I can see it both ways.  I think though, while they are still almost defined by each other, Lenny has been given slightly more detail in his story (his problems involving his eye, his frequent accidents and tragedies and everyone's weird compassion for him.  "Not Lenny.  NOT LENNY!", while some of the humour of Carl is making him slightly more of an enigma).

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1565
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 07:25:05 PM »
14 Points

Notes:

Yeah, I can see it both ways.  I think though, while they are still almost defined by each other, Lenny has been given slightly more detail in his story (his problems involving his eye, his frequent accidents and tragedies and everyone's weird compassion for him.  "Not Lenny.  NOT LENNY!", while some of the humour of Carl is making him slightly more of an enigma).

Wha? Homer, Moe and Lenny went to Carl's home country, met his parents and undid his family's shameful past ...mostly.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 07:30:42 PM »
Oh, yeah.  I forgot that was an episode.  A common, later season problem.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
Number 37: Lyle Lanley

27 Points
(2 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #12 by ScottotD)

Biography:
Lyle Lanley is an entrepreneur who has sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook, and by gum, it put them on the map.

Voiced By:
Phil Hartman

First Appearance:
“Marge Versus the Monorail” -Season 4, Episode 12

Notes:
No, he never sold cider.  Both inspired by the same source though.

The most probable creator of Lanley was Conan O'Brien, who wrote this episode.

Up Next:
A fine son of Ireland.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 07:55:32 PM »
Number 36: Bernard “Barney” Arnold Gumble

27 Points
(3 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #13 by Pak-Man)

Biography:
Barney Gumble is Homer's best friend and Springfield's town drunk. While he was Harvard-bound in high school, after discovering alcohol, he quickly spiraled down the intellectual ladder.

Over the years, Barney has worked in a bowling alley, operated a snow plow, flown a helicopter, been an astronaut candidate, been a grammy-award winning barber shop quartet  member, a Krusty the Clown imitator, a film producer and a colonial era mayor re-enactor. He also serves in the Navy Reserve.

Voiced By:
Dan Castenella

First Appearance:
“Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire” - Season 1, Episode 1

Notes:
Barney's hair was originally blonde, but was changed in later episodes to brown to be easier to animate.

Barney was sober for around a decade, but has slipped back and forth between drinking and sobriety in seasons since then.

Up Next:
Well, technically this is two characters...

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 08:02:22 PM »
Number 35: Marion Anthony D'Amico

27 Points
(3 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #9 by Pak-Man)

Biography:
Marion Anthony D'Amico, aka William Williams, aka "Fat Tony", was the boss of the D'Amico crime family. He has been behind several of Springfield's criminal enterprises including illegal gambling, cigarette smuggling, and bootlegging. He had also been seen bribing and making secret deals with Mayor Quimby.

He is a widower, having lost his wife due to “whacking by Natural Causes.” He has one son, Michael and owned a gay race horse. His profession was that of a legitimate businessman.

Voiced By:
Joe Mantegna/ Phil Hartman

First Appearance:
“Bart the Murderer” - Season 3, Episode 4

Notes:
Fat Tony passed away several years ago after discovering that Homer was an informant for the FBI. He died in Homer's arms and was replaced by his cousin, Fit Tony. Who of course then gained weight and now looks identical to his deceased cousin. This cousin was also briefly involved with Selma Bouvier.

While Joe Mantegna was so taken with Fat Tony that he refused to let anyone else do Tony's voice, Phil Hartman did do the voice in one episode.

Up Next:
Chowder.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »
Number 34: Joseph Fitzgerald O'Malley Fitzpatrick O'Donnell the Edge "Diamond Joe" Quimby

33 Points
(2 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #5 by Relaxing Dragon)

Biography:
Mayor Quimby is the long-time mayor of Springfield, although he has lost that position from time to time. He lost one election to Robert Terwilliger, fled town later, resulting in a Mensaocracy . Still later, he faced a recall that failed when voters failed to coalesce behind any one candidate. Later still, he was deposed when the town fell into a dystopian anarchy.

Voiced By:
Dan Castenella

First Appearance:
“The Call of the Simpsons” - Season 1, Episode 7

Notes:
Quimby has cheated on his wife with reportedly twenty seven different women.

Up Next:
One of the biggies.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »
Number 33: Margaret Evelyn Simpson

36 Points
(3 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #3 by Anais)

Biography:
Maggie Simpson is the youngest Simpson child. She is often seen sucking on her pacifier and is still young enough to have trouble walking.

Maggie is probably the second most violent Simpson. She has hit her father on the head with a mallet, shot Mr. Burns, shot the guns out of the hands of several FBI agents, been an expert fencer, fought a monkey with a broken baby bottle, shot Mr. Burns again, disabled a number of mafia hitmen with an airgun, and smashed in an EPA Chairman's head with a boulder.

Voiced By:
Yeardley Smith/Nancy Cartwright/Danny DeVito/TressMacNeille/Russi Taylor/Elizabeth Taylor/ Jodie Foster/Harry Shearer and James Earl Jones

First Appearance:
“Good Night Simpsons” - Tracy Ulman Show

Notes:
Maggie is named after Matt Groening's younger sister.

For reasons unknown, Maggie seems to show up whenever Ayn Rand is discussed on the show.

Maggie's first word are canonically “Daddy”,  but she's had about a dozen lines throughout the series, although few of them are in canon.

Up Next:
Not real characters on the show. Or are they?

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 08:54:02 PM »
Number 32: Kang and Kodos

38 Points
(3 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #7 by Pak-Man)

Biography:
Kang and Kodos are Rigellians from Rigel IV. They speak only Rigellian, which is coincidentally identical to English. They are often attempting to conquer the Earth, but have seldom appeared in canonical episodes. Although that will change soon...

Voiced By:
Harry Shearer (Kang)/ Dan Castenella (Kodos)

First Appearance:
“Treehouse of Horror” - Season 2, Episode 3

Notes:
The names Kang and Kodos are references to Star Trek characters.

Originally, both aliens were to appear in the regular show, being occasionally spotted by Homer, only to have everyone else dismiss his experiences. The writers then decided that it was a bit too goofy of an idea. Though and relegated them to only the Treehouse of Horror episodes.

Up Next:
Science!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 08:58:41 PM »
Number 31: Professor Jonathan "John" I.Q. Neidelbaum Frink, Jr., B.Sc., Ph.D. M.R.S.C., C.Chem

38 Points
(4 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #8 by Cole Stratton)

Biography:
Professor Frink is Springfield's resident mad scientist and a Professor at the Springfield Heights Institute of Technology. He has one son and has been dating Miss Wyoming in recent years.

Voiced By:
Hank Azaria

First Appearance:
“Old Money” - Season 2, Episode 17

Notes:
While originally written as  a generic mad scientist, Frink became a Jerry Lewis parody after Hank Azaria ad-libbed  an imitation of Lewis.

Professor Frink is named after John Frink, one of the Simpson's producers.

Up Next:
Our next ten entries! A bunch of old yellow guys! A former president! And a lot of schooling! This and more tomorrow!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 07:38:14 PM »
Number 30: Gary Chalmers

38 Points
(2 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #3 by ScottotD)

Biography:
Gary Chalmers is the superintendent of Springfield's school district. He is divorced and has a teenaged daughter.

In the past, he has dated both Agnes Skinner and Edna Krabappel.

Voiced By:
Hank Azaria

First Appearance:
“Whacking Day” - Season 4 Episode 12

Notes:
On the DVD commentaries, it has been noted that Chalmers is one of the few characters on the show who seems to recognize that things get a bit silly in Springfield. Although he too has acted goofily in recent seasons.

Up Next:
A proof that democracy doesn't work.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 07:46:07 PM »
Number 29: Kenny Brockelstein

40 Points
(2 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #5 by Psycho Goatee)

Biography:
Kent Brockman, aka Kenny Brockelstein, is the local TV news anchor at Channel 6 in Springfield. Heis a former war reporter and worked for a time with Rachael Maddow. He has a daughter and son.

Brockman once won the state lottery, but has continued to work for Channel 6, although he did work for a station in New York during the Godzilla incident.

Voiced By:
Harry Shearer

First Appearance:
“Krusty Gets Busted” -Season 1 , Episode 12

Notes:
Kent's name has also been given as Kenneth Brownstein.

Kent was created by Brad Bird.

Up Next:
Yello would be proud.