Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 3 (Movie Lineup Through 2019)  (Read 62414 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 3 (Movie Lineup Through 2019)
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2015, 08:36:18 AM »
I'm looking forward to Doctor Strange.  I know people are down on origin stories these days, but Strange has one I'm looking forward to seeing.  It's usually glossed over pretty quick in the comics, but it's a fairly good one and I really want to explore Strange's transformation from self-centered jerk to master of magic.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6652
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2015, 10:02:47 AM »
I'm looking forward to Doctor Strange.  I know people are down on origin stories these days, but Strange has one I'm looking forward to seeing.  It's usually glossed over pretty quick in the comics, but it's a fairly good one and I really want to explore Strange's transformation from self-centered jerk to master of magic.
I agree. Doctor Stange is like Captain America where his origin is a huge part of who he is. And it's a lot different than the typical superhero origina we've seen so many times.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »
Its fairly similar to the Iron Man origin. 

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2015, 12:44:47 AM »
I actually think so, too.  However, I also think it has a different trajectory: Tony Stark never stops being an arrogant ass, he just becomes a good arrogant ass.  Strange's redemption is a lot more spiritual.  Also, Tony's journey is dealing is fighting against the kind of stuff he created, while Strange's journey is about a man who is very self-centered realize what it means to be selfless.  But the problem is most of the comics don't really explore the training or who he was when he was a jerk doctor.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2015, 05:55:47 AM »
There are some comparisons to Iron Man. I do think if done properly the origin and his searching for cures and eventual training would take up two thirds of the movie.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5068
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »
There are some comparisons to Iron Man. I do think if done properly the origin and his searching for cures and eventual training would take up two thirds of the movie.

I certainly hope so.  I agree: I would like to see the first at least 2/3 of it played as a 'straight' drama, with Strange's a-hole period taking at least the first 1/3, so that the degree of transformation from 'human' to 'superhero' was in stark ;) contrast to Iron Man.  Then the middle 1/4-1/3 of the film would be his tuning in spiritually and becoming aware that there is more than Donald-Trumping his way through life.  With his acting in Sherlock and ST:ItD, clearly Cumberbatch could make all of that riveting.

Then the mystical/magical would only become visible and accessible to him in the remaining part of the film, though, for the sake of the 'gee-whiz' viewers, there'd be minor, or even major, hints that more was going on than what we initially were seeing.  Possibly the audience might only be aware of what Stephen Strange himself was aware of (seeing things that made no sense or floating objects where he could not see the other-dimensional creatures who were carrying them).

Doing it that way - with his psychological and spiritual transition being the core of the film - not only would it set it well apart from any other Marvel film (or, for that matter, any superhero film), but it would also make the dramatic difference in his awareness of 'self' being part of a larger 'selfless' whole, and his perception beyond the physical, and his activity beyond the normally-seen, even more powerful when they did introduce the interdimensional travel and magic.

[[No... I haven't thought about this at all. ;D]]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:27:33 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2015, 03:02:08 PM »
Unfortunately, if they did all of that properly, and told the story the way it needed to be told, it will likely be a lot slower. The general public will probably not like it as much. It will be a lot different than what they have come to expect from Marvel superhero movies.

soguru

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
I watched a review of Ant-man from Comic Book Girl 19... and Ant-man according to her was AMAZING. I really trust her judgement because... well, she's awesome. So if she says it's a great movie I trust her judgement. I'll probably see it 4-5 times in theaters or something.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2015, 02:10:08 PM »
I'll wait for the Midnight Screenings with Brad Jones and his friends. I agree with them a lot of times, but even when I don't I love the discussion they have about it.

soguru

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2015, 02:12:28 PM »
I'll wait for the Midnight Screenings with Brad Jones and his friends. I agree with them a lot of times, but even when I don't I love the discussion they have about it.
I just HAVE to see a movie the night it comes out. Thursday night because of my Support group is now my new movie night because I can usually get a ticket to a new release movie somewhere around 7 or 8 pm, which is a short while after my group ends so its usually a very good night for me.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1009
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2015, 04:57:31 PM »
Eh, I can't find the Spidey thread so I'll stick this here

Aunt May has been cast for the new Sony/Marvel Spider-Man... and it's Marisa Tomei. They seem to be going with the Ultimate version of Spidey (pre-Miles) for this one, so everyone is quite a bit younger. But...

Yeah, she's beginning to look the right age for Aunt May.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2015, 04:59:41 PM »
Is anyone else bored of yet another teenage Spider-Man?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

soguru

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2015, 05:22:03 PM »
I'm not the least bit interested in a Teenage Spider-man. At this point I'd rather see a movie where the original Peter Parker is old and dying or something and he's going to hand the mantle to someone else... or do something like they did when they started the Superior Spider-man series... which I really liked.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2015, 05:40:01 PM »
It's kind of a side effect of repeatedly rebooting it unfortunately.

Offline goflyblind

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 7409
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2015, 06:03:02 PM »
I'm not the least bit interested in a Teenage Spider-man. At this point I'd rather see a movie where the original Peter Parker is old and dying or something and he's going to hand the mantle to someone else... or do something like they did when they started the Superior Spider-man series... which I really liked.

spiderman: reign could work. and be sufficiently gritty for today's greyscale audiences.
dF = 0
d*F = J