Author Topic: rifftrax Dec Live show is Santa Claus (1959)  (Read 10761 times)

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
Re: rifftrax Dec Live show is Santa Claus (1959)
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 11:28:33 AM »
Support apparently got in touch with Fathom.  Video is working now!  So, we can forward the email to all our family and friends.  I'd even suggest forwarding it to president at whitehouse.gov!  he could use a good laugh!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Eric Pode of Croydon

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 04:56:00 AM »
I asked them to throw in a specific Riff for us Brit fans and Matthew Elliott thought it was good too, so waiting to see if that turns up or not.

Offline snowplow54

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 05:22:25 PM »
Any idea why there's no rebroadcast of the show? I cannot make the Thursday show due to work, but the Tuesday rebroadcast works great with my schedule.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 07:55:10 PM »
Any idea why there's no rebroadcast of the show? I cannot make the Thursday show due to work, but the Tuesday rebroadcast works great with my schedule.

!! I didn't realize there was no rebroadcast! That does suck, and I do wonder why, myself.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 06:57:23 AM »
It is a bit strange, but there have been one night only events before. Usually if it makes enough, they'll schedule another showing, but considering this is Christmas specific they may not have time.  It's likely Fathom was fully booked for December events.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »
December shows generally don't have re-broadcasts scheduled until after the numbers are in from the initial showing. Encore or not is typically Fathom's call.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:46:02 AM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 02:14:24 PM »
Really psyched about this! Only about 3 more hours to go! I missed the Santa Claus Conquers the Martians Show last year due to bad weather and icy roads, but the weather is fine here today!  :highfive:

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »
I just got back from it. I had a good time. Several really funny bits, like the running gag of Craig for example. But overall it's not nearly as good as the MST3K episode, which is one of their best.
While their SCCTM show was better than this, and pretty much on par with the original, this still reinforces my belief that they shouldn't keep reriffing classic episode movies. Reriff the movies with a lot of potential, but the episode isn't up to par with riffing as we know it now. Which means KTMA and Season 1 episodes.

Also, WOW did the extended version of this movie drag!

I did really enjoy the short before it though.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
It's been a while since I've seen the MST3K version, I considered watching it either last night or this afternoon but felt better going in "fresh."   I think it did drag in plenty of places, though I could only slightly pick out the scenes that weren't in the MST3K version.  The toughest part was that the dialogue/dubbing was really crummy and even the stuff that was in English I couldn't make out most of time. (Usually when a child character was talking.) Note, this isn't the fault of the guys but of the movie.

Some good, funny, moments in it. One riff I remember from the MST3K version was making fun of Lopita's (?) father looking for a job in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve/Morning. Glad to see that joke was re-realized in this version, wish they had also re-done the one about Lopita's doll being more of a sister, given its size.

Short was funny and, man, was it odd.  Though not nearly as odd as the other "At Your Fingertips..." shorts.

Banter between the guys was fun.

Good time, not one I would rank high of their live shows. I suspect there are other Christmas themed movies that are in the PD or inexpensive to get a hold of and wish they would have gone that route rather than re-treading the MST3K movies.  I'm not entirely opposed to revisiting MST3K movies but some are just painful, I knew this one would be too since the movie is just so bizarre, hard to understand and really doesn't have much going on/is slow moving.

I'd rank this show maybe a B- or so, which is typically as low I go when comes to grading a movie, a movie has to be pretty mad to drop me into the C's.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »
I also noticed that the color on the movie print they were using was atrocious. Far worse than the edited one they used for MST3K.

jonalame

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »
I re-watched the MST version last night so I could compare to this new version. Despite the MST host segment's greatness, I liked this version better. You could tell that the guys were really into it(as opposed to say, Godzilla) and that seemed infectious for our theater.

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »
I enjoyed this one a lot. The turnout at the theater where I went to see it was disappointingly low, but the other people seemed to be into it too, the "doot-da-doot-da-doot-da-doot" sounds Merlin made seemed to get lots of laughs. The joke that made me laugh the hardest might have been the one about Pitch's kegel exercises. Kind of surprised that the absence of Mrs. Claus and Santa having a beefy shirtless live-in blacksmith/keymaker and having a bit of a bickering married couple vibe with Merlin passed without comment (was he supposed to be Vulcan/Hephaestus from Greco-Roman mythology?), but maybe that would have been a bit on the nose (the narrator's description of Santa as "happy and gay" got an "Oh!" from Crow in the MST version but passed without comment this time).

I wouldn't want to become a regular thing, but I think this one is a special enough movie that I don't mind that it's an MST retread. Maybe they could do Santa Claus: The Movie for next year's Christmas show?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:25:02 PM by MightyBombJack »

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2014, 03:13:08 AM »
I also noticed that the color on the movie print they were using was atrocious. Far worse than the edited one they used for MST3K.

Yeah the color was pretty bad and seemed unbalanced or something. The fringes of Santa's beard were sort-of glowing pinkish red.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2014, 06:30:28 AM »
It seemed like Bill had most of the really great lines.

"Ride now! Ride into ruin and the world's ending! DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!"

There was also a hilarious line about keeping Merlin away from the lip machine.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2014, 07:07:41 AM »
Curly shoes, everyone! Man, am I glad I didn't watch the MST episode before this. What a bizarre movie. (And I've seen 45 minutes of Pink Floyd The Wall sober!)

I wouldn't want to become a regular thing, but I think this one is a special enough movie that I don't mind that it's an MST retread. Maybe they could do Santa Claus: The Movie for next year's Christmas show?

Well, it's 108 minutes, so no bonkers short, probably. Plus it really doesn't get going into Rifftrax territory until John Lithgow shows up and starts eating scenery. The setup is a straight ripoff of Superman, obviously, but it doesn't completely go off the rails until they get to 1985 NYC.