Author Topic: Worst Metal Song  (Read 26709 times)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Worst Metal Song
« on: April 03, 2007, 05:10:31 AM »
I nominate Drowning Pool - Bodies.

Let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor, yadda yadda yadda.

Wimpy.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
Re: Worst Metal Song
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 05:13:35 AM »
Drowning Pool always stank of whiny pop music. Metaldom refuses to sanction Drowning Pool and any actions made by them.

I nominate something from Slipknot for pure, obtuse pretentiousness. They remind me of a cranky Spinal Tap. I used to like them, but then I got sick of their constant preaching and melodramatics.

Or maybe anything from Shadows Fall. I've had concerts ruined at the exact moment they get up on stage and their singer starts belting out tunes in a voice that sounds like the evil corporate guy from Time Chaser.

"Twotul contwol..."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:20:07 AM by RobtheBarbarian »

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:32:44 AM »
Every song released by Dragonforce.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 05:33:11 AM »
Yeah, I'm disappointed by Slipknot. They have the potential to be a very hard-hitting metal band, but they muck it up with their stupid scratching/sampling and over use of theatrics. Though I did really enjoy their live performance of the song "Heretic Anthem" on Late Nite with Conan. They just sounded awesome, apart from those rediculously stupid and corny lyrics. "If you're 555 then I'm 666"?? Yeah, whatever pal.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 05:34:01 AM »
Every song released by Dragonforce.

Nah, they don't take themselves all that seriously. I just don't like how repetitive their music is.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 05:40:16 AM »
They just sounded awesome, apart from those rediculously stupid and corny lyrics. "If you're 555 then I'm 666"?? Yeah, whatever pal.

Yeah, that's gets me too. It's so trite.

What other metal band do I dislike... Any band who's singer sounds like he's in an empty room yelling at the wall, i.e. most death metal. I can't take any band seriously who's singer sounds like Cookie Monster on crystal meth. I actually crack up when I hear Dimmu Borgir or Amon Amarth, much to the confusion of my friends who like them.

I'm more of a Black Label Society, Motorhead, Pantera, Anthrax kind of guy.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:42:45 AM by RobtheBarbarian »

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 05:42:22 AM »
I can't take any band seriously who's singer sounds like Cookie Monster on crystal meth.

Amen, the cookie monster just cracks me up every time. Which is too bad, because bands like Opeth make some incredibly good music and have a singer that can sing for real, so why they have to resort to that silly growling is beyond me.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 05:44:03 AM »
Amen, the cookie monster just cracks me up every time. Which is too bad, because bands like Opeth make some incredibly good music and have a singer that can sing for real, so why they have to resort to that silly growling is beyond me.

I know! It breaks my heart to hear earth-rending guitar ruined by some retard singing like a drunk frat boy belching the alphabet. I have a death metal fan friend who takes it very seriously when I bitch mightily about how her favorite singers routinely ruin music I would otherwise like.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 05:47:09 AM »
Cirith Ungol - Atom Smasher

I'm 100% convinced that the Homestar Runner people used this song as the basis for the sound of the band "Limozeen". Workmanlike backing band with a completely ridiculous lead singer who was seemingly a send-up of corny 80's metal lead singers during the 1980's... if that's even possible.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3141
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 05:52:19 AM »
I don't listen to nearly enough to make the call, but I'd wager that some manner of flacid, mispelled baked good is involved. :^)

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 05:54:59 AM »
Metaldom refuses to advocate or defend said flacid baked good, and will not intervene in any attempt to perfom judicual action against said baked good. Metaldom condemns said flacid baked good and takes no responsibility for his actions.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 06:11:05 AM »

I know! It breaks my heart to hear earth-rending guitar ruined by some retard singing like a drunk frat boy belching the alphabet. I have a death metal fan friend who takes it very seriously when I bitch mightily about how her favorite singers routinely ruin music I would otherwise like.

hehe I would bitch too. I loves me some good growling, but I'm not above admitting that it sometimes sounds ridiculous. When done right, it's effective, but other times it's just stupid.

Case in point: Six Feet Under. A band fronted by former Cannibal Corpse vocalist Chris Barnes. One of their songs just cracks me up every time I hear it. "The Enemy Inside", from their album Haunted. It's utterly boring and drab, complete with Chris's pathetic attempt at sounding rough. Lame.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 06:16:49 AM »
Slipknot? Metal??  No way dudes. "Mall Core" is what myself and my metalhead buddies call them, along with Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Korn, Shadows Fall (the new stuff anyway), new In Flames, ... the list goes on and on. Mall Core aka Radio Metal has made it tough for actual metal to recover, even though it's still fairly prevalent in the clubs and "underground" scene.

That being said, the WORST metal song has to be anything by so-called "Math Metal" bands such as Dillinger Escape Plan. It's really just noise created by guitars while a guy screeches on top of it. Really sad and pathetic, and while it may take talent to write those songs one measure at a time, that does not a good song make.

There are some other "Math Metal" bands out there, and they all suck equally. If you want to find bands who use technicality to write GOOD songs, and can sing to boot, check out the prog metal stuff like Symphony X and Pagan's Mind.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 06:20:23 AM »
Slipknot? Metal??  No way dudes. "Mall Core" is what myself and my metalhead buddies call them, along with Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Korn, Shadows Fall (the new stuff anyway), new In Flames, ... the list goes on and on. Mall Core aka Radio Metal has made it tough for actual metal to recover, even though it's still fairly prevalent in the clubs and "underground" scene.

That being said, the WORST metal song has to be anything by so-called "Math Metal" bands such as Dillinger Escape Plan. It's really just noise created by guitars while a guy screeches on top of it. Really sad and pathetic, and while it may take talent to write those songs one measure at a time, that does not a good song make.

There are some other "Math Metal" bands out there, and they all suck equally. If you want to find bands who use technicality to write GOOD songs, and can sing to boot, check out the prog metal stuff like Symphony X and Pagan's Mind.

QFT!! QFT!!

It's so refreshing to find someone else out there with the same musical taste and perspective!

Now I'm Verklempt!!

(btw, Symphony X is releasing their next album soon! I'm sooooo stoked for that one!)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 06:25:46 AM »
Sweet! I was listening to The Odyssey the other day, and Pagan's Mind (Enigmatic Calling) this morning on my way into the RiffTrax offices. AMAZING stuff, and if anyone has never heard of them, I suggest you drop what you are doing and seek them out. Absolutely one of the most incredible bands to exist ever, and I don't say that about many bands.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 06:28:43 AM by torgosPizza »