Author Topic: Worst Metal Song  (Read 26605 times)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
Re: Worst Metal Song
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 09:42:49 AM »
Also, before anyone mentions it, ICP has to be the WORST thing to happen to music.... EVER!  Yeah... rap, "metal", and clowns.... THAT WILL WORK!

Say what you will about ICP. It's not exactly going out on a limb to point out how much they suck from the musical side of things... but they nailed the "schtick" and made a shitload of money for themselves. So... in their case: rap, "metal" and clowns worked very well. I think of them as a twenty year younger version of Kiss that never had the talent to overcome their image and make it out of the minor leagues. Heck... If it wasn't for the internet boom, their retarded little Juggalo army would have never had the stagnant water to grow and they'd still be playing bowling alleys in Toledo. Damn internet...!

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 09:46:38 AM »
ha! I appreciate your analogy, but I feel disrespected having "regular metal tunes" compared to a Volvo! ;)

In any event I know what you mean, but for me I don't care how much of "what" is in a song, if it's a good song, then it is what it is. For me at least, YMMV. I still enjoy bands that are more prog, like Queensryche and Fates Warning. But I don't like the bands that are ALL tech, such as, supposedly, Dillinger Escape Plan, and some other shit metal band that I saw on the music TV channel. My eardrums closed up in horror.

Thing is, though, most regular Metal is built on the 12-bar Blues, an extremely limiting idiom that's been chamged around, fiddled with and used to death over more than seven decades
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 09:54:05 AM »
Hehe.... I like ICP

Maybe it's cuz I was a hardcore WCW fan and they made some awesome awesome AWESOME cameos on Monday NITRO!!!
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 10:05:13 AM »
Yeah Dream Theater isn't even prog metal anymore. Their last couple albums have been radio friendly, lackluster pop metal at best. So I can agree with you there.

I'm a fan of Soundgarden and Chains, so you and I have that in common there too. But there are definitely MANY lesser, or unknown bands that have way more talent than the ones that make it (FW, DT, Queensryche). But since mainstream (America) isn't up for something that is challenging to listen to, without being grating like Dillinger, bands like these never become popular. It's sad that bands like Dream Theater and Metallica almost always tend to become more simplistic with their music the more popular they get. Not in all cases, of course, but very many.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2007, 10:32:53 AM »
The problem with crap like Dillinger is that they try to cram as much into each measure as they can, and your brain can't latch on to any of it. Therefore, most people who have no clue how to make music automatically think they're good musicians. So very wrong they are. Plus, the vocals are total crap.  Who said manic punk screams sounded cool? It's even worse than hardcore.

:grr:

And I've never understood this stupid trend of throwing jazz passages into metal. They are so very out of place and stupid. Yet again, the uneducated out there consider this avant garde and edgy. I consider it absurd.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 11:18:27 AM »
I don't believe I've heard a jazz passage in metal before, but then again I tend to have a laser-fine area of interest as far as music goes.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 01:57:51 PM »
I'm no metalhead, but has anyone mentioned Metallica's "St. Anger"? You're a pop rock band now, guys. Just accept it and cash the checks.

Every song released by Dragonforce.

No no no, Dragonforce is hilarity personified. Unless they're trying to be serious...

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »
I'm no metalhead, but has anyone mentioned Metallica's "St. Anger"? You're a pop rock band now, guys. Just accept it and cash the checks.

Yeah... someone mentioned they like it.  :-X

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 02:04:21 PM »
Wow, I've been out of the metal scene for a long time, apparently.  And I considered myself the original metal head back in the day!  You guys are totally head spinning me.  I gotsta check some of these bands out though, obviously.

In my day, I hated all the "party" metal bands that sprang up after the PMRC hearings.  RATT, Poison, White Lion, all that crap.

RATT's popular "Round and Round" song was a case in point... in the video, the lead transvestite writhes on a dining room table while wheezing the haunting lyrics:

"Round and round... what goes around comes around... I'll tell you WHY... WHY... WHY..."

...and then, of course, he never does actually fulfill this promise and tell us why.

Is that the video with Milton Berle? WTF?

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 02:08:04 PM »

Yup. Apparently RATT were big Berle fans. No one really got it but them.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 02:21:03 PM »

Evidently, on the latest tour, they didn't play a single song from SA. Man, not that I was expecting them to ever get back to the peak of Ride/Master/Justice, but still...
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 02:41:59 PM »

Yup. Apparently RATT were big Berle fans. No one really got it but them.

Actually, what I remember is that one of the band members, (drummer?), was Berle's nephew or great-nephew.  And that was why Milton agreed to be in it.  Should be easy to look up to check if it's true or not.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline timechaser

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 05:06:42 PM »
Grim Reaper's 'See you in Hell'. What a dumb song.
He split Robin's arrow in twain!!

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2007, 05:38:33 PM »

We have a winner!  Yeah, that was pretty bad.  The dude's voice was like fingernails on a chalkboard.

"see you in hell, my friends-- see you in hell, my friends-- see you in hell, my friends..." ad infinitum ad nauseum...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 05:46:23 PM »

We have a winner!  Yeah, that was pretty bad.  The dude's voice was like fingernails on a chalkboard.

"see you in hell, my friends-- see you in hell, my friends-- see you in hell, my friends..." ad infinitum ad nauseum...

Thank God we had Beavis and Butt-head give them the once over, back in the good ol' days.