Author Topic: ROTOR HQ  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
ROTOR HQ
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:31:18 AM »
EDIT: The higher quality version is available for download on the main site. If you already bought it, the old files have been replaced and you should download it again.

There is a much higher quality version of ROTOR on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fVTMQLAkJA

Unfortunately, it is an alternate cut with about four minutes worth of extra content. I don't even want to call them deleted scenes because mostly they're just the endings of certain scenes that don't appear in the Rifftrax version.

The changes happen at (movie time) 6:52, 7:42, 12:08, 15:13, 20:10, 32:56 and 39:08. It takes a bit of work, but I think it's absolutely worth it.

If you're going to go for it, what I did was sync up the Rifftrax audio with the movie audio in Audacity. Then I used "change tempo" in the effects menu and set the value to -0.105. That will keep the two tracks from drifting. Then you go to the times I mentioned above and insert them manually into the Rifftrax audio.

I do realize that for some/most people, this seems unnecessary and the Rifftrax VOD is just fine. But if you're a weirdo like me, I think that the leg work is worth it.

Here are some comparison shots.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:49:11 AM by Action Batch »

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 45
Re: ROTOR HQ
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
AB, can you detail this section here a bit more?
"Then you go to the times I mentioned above and insert them manually into the Rifftrax audio."

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
No problem. I'll just go through one of the times mentioned and post some screen grabs. Be right back.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:47:24 PM »
Alright! I'm going to start this from you having both the RIFFTRAX audio and the MOVIE audio.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First, you're going to want to sync your RIFFTRAX to your MOVIE.

So sometimes when an old movie gets transferred from VHS to DVD this weird audio drift happens. Even if it's the same cut of the film, one is inexplicably longer than the other. To fix this drift, select the RIFFTRAX audio, go to the EFFECTS tab, and select CHANGE TEMPO. Set the value to -0.105 (that's negative zero point one zero five)

Now they won't drift. However, they are still way out of sync because of the stuff that appears in the MOVIE that doesn't appear in the RIFFTRAX. For this explanation, we'll go to the difference at 0:15:13. You're looking for (in the RIFFTRAX) where Captain Coldiron (ha!) gets off the elevator, has a short conversation with Haveling, and ends the dialogue with "Good!" and then goes right into the meeting. In the MOVIE, after "Good!" Captain Coldiron has a conversation with Haveling and Willard (the Robot) about supplements to make you better at handball, and Willard hits on a secretary.

"Good!" is circled in green, and "Good morning everyone." is circled in red. 

We're going to have to place audio from the MOVIE into the RIFFTRAX to get them to sync up. My sync points were after "Good!" and before "Good morning everyone."
To do this, we need to find in the MOVIE where Captain Coldiron says "Good morning everyone." It occurs at 0:16:05.674.

Now that we found exactly where "Good morning everyone" occurs in the MOVIE, create a selection from the last time the RIFFTRAX and the MOVIE were synced, in this case it was right before the handball conversation wherein Captain Coldiron ends the dialogue with "Good!" Selection should be between 0:15:13.215 and 0:16:05.674 as illustrated below. This is from the MOVIE audio. Once you have your selection, go to the EDIT tab and select COPY.

Then, on the RIFFTRAX audio, create a selection between your  first value (0:15:13.215) and end it right before Captain Coldiron says "Good morning everyone." as highlighted in green.

Go to the EDIT tab and select PASTE. It should now look like this.

Scroll forward to where Captain Coldiron says "Good morning everyone" and you'll see that it is all synced up.

If you are listening to the audio and they're not perfectly in sync after "Good morning everyone." DELETE or PASTE tiny bits of audio until they are, but remember, you're only altering the RIFFTRAX audio, not the MOVIE audio. You have to make the RIFFTRAX audio sync to the MOVIE audio.

This is one of seven places in the RIFFTRAX audio that you'll have to fix before it syncs up completely. After the fix at 0:39:08.000, there are no more differences between the RIFFTRAX and the MOVIE.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:43:46 PM by Action Batch »

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »
This is awesome, thanks!  8)

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:12:55 PM »

Offline mentallo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »
I dont know where Rifftrax got their version from the original version is the one with all these scenes intact. For example, the scene after "Shoeboogie" wakes up Rotor is completely cut short, we don't even see the digital numbers counting down on the pod where Rotor lays nor do we see him standing up. This whole scene is missing but was originally in the movie. I know this because I have a VHS of the movie but also the version that was on Netflix at one point also had all these scenes in it. The version on Youtube is simply a capture from Netflix. I wiosh Rifftrax would have used the better looking and complete version of the movie. I mean not for nothing but we missed about 5 minutes of more hilarious riffs.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 613
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »
The source that we used is the best version available on physical media. When looking for high quality sources you don't expect Youtube to beat the quality of commercially available material...this one slipped under the radar and I'm in the process of updating it, actually, and making the guys aware of the extra footage. They're really swamped right now with the live shows but I know that they love this movie, so we'll see what happens.

Either way, look for updated files soon - I did edit the film to the riff, rather than the other way around, so that there wouldn't be dead-pockets. So heads up there.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 01:30:03 PM »
Great news! 8)

Offline mentallo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »
That's awesome. Cant wait to see the full version riffed.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 01:51:13 PM »
Any news on the availability of the newer and better R.O.T.O.R. ?  :)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 02:25:52 PM »
Look for it sometime after the live show - I'll make sure to have it ready and out to you guys next week at the latest.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 447
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »
Wait?! You're going to provide us with the update files of the better-quality video of the movie?  That's awesome!

I'm unclear on something, though, are you trimming out the unriffed parts of the movie or are they simply going to make new riffs to fill-in the gaps?  (Granted, that may sound awkward.)

Eitherway is good with me (what's in those extra minutes anyway?) just nifty to hear of the updated video!

But, dammit, you now owe me a blank DVD!  ;)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 03:26:27 PM »
I just cut the unriffed parts. I'm actually going to show it to the writers to see if they might want to riff it in the future for a 'complete' edition.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »
(what's in those extra minutes anyway?)

Not much really.

1. Captain Coldiryn's (CC) internal monologue about the fate of humanity.

2. CC has a lengthier conversation with the "officially/unofficially" people.

3. CC talking to his girlfriend on a speakerphone.

4. CC tells Haveling and Willard the Robot about supplements that help his handball game and Willard uses the line "Slide me them seven digits" on a secretary.

5. CC talks to a guy in a lab coat about the evil senator.

6. Shoeboogie's switchblade comb and walkman headphones cause a short in R.O.T.O.R's mechanisms forcing him to "wake up."

7. CC has a lengthier conversation with the detective after the convenience store robbery.