Author Topic: CONFIRMED: Twin Peaks returns!  (Read 8207 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4932
  • Mr. Robot
Re: CONFIRMED: Twin Peaks returns!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »
Warning for those saying "Going to watch now".  Season 1?  Great!  Season 2.  Starts great.  Then downward slide into not goodness.  Last episode is AMAZING, so stick with it!

I just think it is cool that the unintended 25 year promise will be kept!  Now I'm hoping for that Mulholland Drive TV series, which would have been amazing, rather than a fairly good movie (I think some of the end craziness would have paid off better after a season of build up).  Very good chance that the magic is gone, but there is no doubt that it is going to be interesting!

I'm so happy about this!! Hopefully they'll give a bit more closure to all the cliff-hangers, which I am very sure they'll do...   It will also be nice to see the show finish off back with the roots it started at... being written by Lynch/Frost and directed by Lynch. It will be closer to season 1 than 2, I am sure, and this makes me happy.

Of course, while there will probably be closure, it won't necessarily fit things into a neat little box, since Lynch works like that.  As much as I want a happy ending for Agent Cooper, there's a good chance the show will end in an even darker spot than we were left with before.  But as long as it feels like a dark ending than an unresolved cliffhanger, I suppose.

Oh, and the restaurant Li'l Gideon patronizes in Gravity Falls...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That Black/White Lodge is everywhere.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 08:35:02 PM »
Warning for those saying "Going to watch now".  Season 1?  Great!  Season 2.  Starts great.  Then downward slide into not goodness.  Last episode is AMAZING, so stick with it!

Even in the worst part of season 2 there are some wonderful gems amongst all the other lamer storylines (the only really hard one to get through is James and that lady, but even that has an amazingly wonderful scene at the little bar)... They were very clearly trying to scramble to find a strong story to carry on with after the network forced them to close the initial one. I blame ABC entirely for it....

...but again, it's still worth watching as long as you keep in mind that there a bit of dumb in the middle of s2. (fun dumb mostly, but dumb nevertheless)

And the last chunk of episodes of season 2 are amazing, particularly the final 3.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
I think the biggest flaw in season two is making the teen characters, who were so interesting in the first season, so deathly boring in the second.  It's like after
then the series really had nothing to do with them anymore and the characters stopped being interesting.  That's especially bad for Audrey, who is possibly the series best character after Agent Cooper.  She's such a great femme fatale when the series begins (albeit one with a good heart deep down, despite her largely amoral worldview that is only slightly altered by her attraction to an extremely moral and spiritual man), so it seem like such a crime to have her be just some other character (and trying to pawn her off on Billy Zane, who somehow isn't playing a psycho this time, is weak sauce).  But really all the teen characters suffer on that show and lose their edge that made them so engaging in season 1.

But yes, I will admit there are moments in mid-season two that are great.  But it does become painful when it turns its quirkiness into broad comedy.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: David Lynch and Mark Frost Tease Twin Peaks Return on Twitter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »

And I have no desire at all to see it.  Not into that kind shows.

Did you watch Darkwing Duck? They did an episode loosely based on Twin Peaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brlQuf2fXn8

How about The Simpsons? Lisa's bits with Chief Wiggum in "Who Shot Mr Burns?" were based on Twin Peaks as well. It permeated the culture a bit more than you may have thought.

That doesn't mean you'd enjoy it if you watched it. It just means that you may know more about it than you think.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 09:33:13 PM »
After the murder is 'solved' is pretty much were I recommend people stop watching.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 09:36:39 PM »
Good advice, except that last episode is AMAZING!  So skip to that, if you need to.  The last 15 minutes might be the scariest thing ever put on TV.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 01:26:55 PM »
That's especially bad for Audrey, who is possibly the series best character after Agent Cooper.  She's such a great femme fatale when the series begins (albeit one with a good heart deep down, despite her largely amoral worldview that is only slightly altered by her attraction to an extremely moral and spiritual man), so it seem like such a crime to have her be just some other character (and trying to pawn her off on Billy Zane, who somehow isn't playing a psycho this time, is weak sauce).

You can blame (entirely) Lara Flynn Boyle for that. She was dating Kyle at the time, and objected VERY sternly to any love interest or dynamic with Audrey for Cooper... And they had a pretty strong storyline already in store for those two, so suddenly they had to find something else for Audrey while eventually minimizing Donna almost entirely because she was causing so much trouble behind the scenes about anything and everything. (Not that Donna was all that great of a character to begin with)

If they bring back Donna in the new season, I hope they get Moira Kelly instead... who played Donna in the movie simply because they didn't want to even deal with Boyle.  Actually, Kyle almost didn't even DO the movie (which is why his part is so small in it), but the lack of Lara helped draw him to it seeing that they had broken up by that point.

You can actually almost SEE the tension when re-watching if you keep all that info in mind about what was going on behind the scenes.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
Give how unrecognizable Lara Flynn Boyle is lately even if they hired her back everyone would think they switched actresses.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 10:08:46 PM »
I'll admit it, I actually made that mistake a couple years back.  I only have seen Boyle in Men In Black II (BOO!) where she was raven haired and they both changed so much that I mistakenly identified Audrey's actress since Lara was known as a femme fatale type.

I could do without Donna and James altogether.  Not a big fan of either, especially after the mystery is solved and their story was kind of resolved at the end, if I remember correctly, so that works out for everyone.

I hope it turns out Nadine spent the last 25 years as a super-hero.  Or a villain.  Either/or.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 10:52:19 PM »
Sherilyn Fenn is still gorgeous though.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 01:16:51 PM »
I could do without Donna and James altogether.

Yeah, this... They pretty much single-handedly (both of them with one hand) brought down the second season more than any other... and the first season too really.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »
It's a little more forgivable in the first season because it isn't readily apparent that without the show's central mystery (and Lynch's writing) they are as dull as dishwater.  I think Bobby's transformation is pretty unfortunate too, as he starts out seeming quite dangerous despite being victimized by that one guy who's name eludes me (he had like a pony tail).  That scene we're he and his bud are just barking at James is kind of unsettling.  When we get to the part where his friend is dating Nadine and he's trying to work his way into Ben Horne's good graces (another character who lost his edge towards the end), the characters become far from what they were and the transition isn't done in a satisfying way.  In fact, I wish they explored his dark side more, since I also like the fact that despite his bad boy attitude, he clearly loves and respects his father, which makes for an interesting dichotomy.

But bring back Miguel Ferrer!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ww-88rwt4ms" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ww-88rwt4ms</a>

While I look forward toward more Twin Peaks, I'd love to see a series about the FBI in the world of Twins Peaks, who are strangely spiritual folks.  Crime-fighting monks of love and peace?  Yes, please!

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »
Sherilyn Fenn is still gorgeous though.

Has it been mentioned in this thread that Lynch wrote her into the show because he thought she was too fascinating not to?  And that Mulholland Drive was supposed to be an "Audrey goes to Hollywood" TV series, but the script treatment turned into a movie later on.

I think this is the article - http://www.avclub.com/article/sherilyn-fenn-talks-david-lynch-and-how-twin-peaks-200898

Audrey + Dale 4evar

.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »
I think the biggest flaw in season two is making the teen characters, who were so interesting in the first season, so deathly boring in the second.  It's like after
then the series really had nothing to do with them anymore and the characters stopped being interesting.  That's especially bad for Audrey, who is possibly the series best character after Agent Cooper.  She's such a great femme fatale when the series begins (albeit one with a good heart deep down, despite her largely amoral worldview that is only slightly altered by her attraction to an extremely moral and spiritual man), so it seem like such a crime to have her be just some other character (and trying to pawn her off on Billy Zane, who somehow isn't playing a psycho this time, is weak sauce).  But really all the teen characters suffer on that show and lose their edge that made them so engaging in season 1.

But yes, I will admit there are moments in mid-season two that are great.  But it does become painful when it turns its quirkiness into broad comedy.

Amen about Audrey - her character's transformation is so great, and right as it hits its zenith they kill it - bleh

Oh well, I like how they present the end of season 2 as "an" ending, instead of "the" ending oooooooo :o
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Soguru

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2014, 07:39:45 AM »
I just hope nobody lynches David over this.