Author Topic: CONFIRMED: Twin Peaks returns!  (Read 7439 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 930
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: CONFIRMED: Twin Peaks returns!
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 08:30:31 AM »
Oh well, I like how they present the end of season 2 as "an" ending, instead of "the" ending oooooooo :o

That kind of was because they actually hoped to get a third season way back in the day... Back when shows didn't quite necessarily know they were cancelled yet when the last episode aired.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4436
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 01:53:56 AM »
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/twin-peaks-david-lych-leaves-as-director-1201466709/

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Well, then forget it.  I mean, it would be fine even if he only did an episode or something, but a complete absence of Lynch makes this a no go for me, even if Mark Frost is still involved.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 930
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/twin-peaks-david-lych-leaves-as-director-1201466709/

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Well, then forget it.  I mean, it would be fine even if he only did an episode or something, but a complete absence of Lynch makes this a no go for me, even if Mark Frost is still involved.

The head of Showtime had no clue Lynch had "backed out" and figures ("hopes" is the word he used) it's either just a negotiation ploy or cold feet. If Showtime has any say in it (and yes, that means throwing more money at Lynch), they'll have him on as director.

Either way, it's still written by Lynch/Frost, and if they even got Tim Hunter back to direct, I'd be just fine. Or even Caleb Deschanel. There were a few that directed a good chunk of original TP episodes (some more than Lynch did himself) that could do it justice and keep the Peaks feel. Ideally, Lynch would go back on his sudden drop-out, but it wouldn't be the end of the show. He still wrote it.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3388
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
Tonight's the night. Who's ready?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 04:06:29 PM »
Watched the first episode.  And by that, I mean the first half of what everyone watched last night (it was on CraveTV as separate episodes).

Anyway, I liked it, but I'm hoping we get a bit more of the humour from the previous series.  Lynch definitely hasn't lost his touch for the creepy and the first episode had an atmosphere of desolation (there were very few scenes that included more than two or three people and even then the characters felt like they were detached from each other.

Also, the first scene from New York tested my patience a bit but it was worth it for the horrifying second scene in New York.

It took me forever to recognize Matthew Lillard as the main murder suspect.

Oh, and if you have CraveTV or Amazon Prime, the first FOUR episodes are already available.  So, maybe watch out for spoilers there.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 74
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2017, 11:02:21 AM »
I love it so far, wild wild stuff, Lynch doing it like only he can. (with credit to Mark Frost for co-writing)

The
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
stuff and whatnot is really really funny, and then we've got some full on horror scenes, the compelling dreamlike weirdness, that unique Lynch magic, so glad they got to make this.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3388
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 11:18:29 PM »
After the first two episodes, I was really worried that it was not going to have any humor or quirkiness. Eps 3 and 4 eased my fears.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 03:51:40 AM »
Looking forward to that.  I hear that Michael Cera does a really good job.  Finished the second episode.  A lot less ponderous than the first (though still patient and avant garde).  The... thing that appeared toward the end of the second episode feels like it crawled out of a Grant Morrison comic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1258
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2017, 08:07:35 PM »
So far it's devoid of any enjoyable characters. Its pacing is increadibly slow. But that slowness doesn't tell you anything, it doesn't add anything. Even the scenes that are supposedly supposed to be funny are slow, dwelling on a bit way past the point of a chuckle. If brevity is indeed the soul of wit, then Lynch is a Soul Taker. And I don't know how they did it, but Michael Cera's appearance was slower and more tedious than staring at that empty glass box. At least there was an admittedly well done payoff with the glass box.

The original worked because it started as a fairly normal show, then added stranger and stranger pieces for you to puzzle over. It had a focus, and the audiences was invited to try and figure out the puzzle along with the characters. And inbeteen interesting pieces of the puzzle we had characters with personal relationships that we cared about.

So far here we have nothing. We have a bunch of puzzle pieces and weirdness (some that is more expositional than it is weird), but we don't know what we're trying to solve. There is no drive. There are no interesting relationships, just plot points.

I think the fourth episode will be my last. I don't have the patience to crawl through it. It is missinng the charm of the show. But I guess Fire Walk With Me was missing the charm of the show too, so I don't know what I expected.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:17:57 PM by Variety of Cells »