login

Author Topic: Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Officially Dead  (Read 7742 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 632
  • Riff Super Monsters
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4415
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Officially Dead
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:45:32 AM »
Yeah I remember a lot ot the 80's listed there; really loved the Dungeons & Dragons cartoons back then :o

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »
Some thoughts on this by Mark Evanier, who was a writer on the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon:

http://www.newsfromme.com/2014/09/30/saturday-morning-cartoons-r-p/

Soguru

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
Who else vividly remembers Saturday Supercade? I watched the Q-bert cartoon, Pac-man(I understand Pak Man is sort of a big fan of his), Donkey Kong, and as I recall there was even a cartoon for Kangaroo! I still miss Pandamonium! though.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3684
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 03:26:15 PM »
Let's have some supercade fun, fun fun!

Yeah, Saturday Supercade dominated my Saturday Morning lineup.

I was WAY into my Saturday Morning Cartoons. I had strategies. I'd put all the listings for the 3 big networks side-by-side and figure out which channel to watch at which time, flipping through all three for 4-5 hours straight until there wasn't anything to watch anymore.

Looking at the schedules on that article, I can still recite my strategy circa-1987:

Start with the Wuzzles. Grab breakfast and watch AT Gummy Bears. Over to Muppet Babies for an hour, then The Real Ghostbusters, tolerate Alvin and the Chipmunks, over to Galaxy High School, finish up with that awful Punky Brewster cartoon....

I wish I had been watching Vortexx at the very end. One or two of their shows were pretty tolerable, and I always swore I'd watch Saturday Morning Cartoons until I was dead. But Tyrant had offered to wake up with the tyke, and you don't turn down a chance to sleep in...

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2397
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 03:46:46 PM »
I was just looking up stuff about Saturday Supercade this morning, trying to track down if it ever got a release. Warner Archives claimed back in 2010 they were going to put some out "within a year" but from what I could tell it died in planning.

I don't think I ever saw its original run, but I remember seeing Donkey Kong and Kangaroo in reruns as part of USA's Cartoon Express. For years Kangaroo was an elusive favorite of mine. I always loved catching it but I saw it so rarely I couldn't even convince my friends and family it was a real show.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Soguru

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »
Start with the Wuzzles. Grab breakfast and watch AT Gummy Bears. Over to Muppet Babies for an hour, then The Real Ghostbusters, tolerate Alvin and the Chipmunks, over to Galaxy High School, finish up with that awful Punky Brewster cartoon....
I think what's funny is while the Chipmunk Adventure movie is an uber-cheesy embarrassment(With maybe one or two good songs in the movie), the Alvin and Chipmunks TV series had genius writing by comparison, even moreso compared to the live action movies.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 04:13:36 PM »
Cartoons these days suck anyway.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Soguru

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »
Cartoons these days suck anyway.
Meh, Fullmetal Alchemist is pretty amazing. Of course that was a while back. What did you think of Transformers Rescue Bots Sideswipe? I thought it was okay. If we're including online cartoons, I think anytime Egoraptor animates something it's pretty epic, and isn't Adventure time supposed to be good? Granted, that's just a handful of toons...

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 04:59:52 PM »
Rescue Bots is a little kids show, although I have to give them credit.  It would have been really easy to do a stupid dora the explorer type show, but there is actually some conflict in it.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 06:58:53 PM »
As a TF fan with a tyke, Rescue Bots is a godsend. Holds his attention for most of the 30 minutes  and it's very watchable with lots of neat little nods to bygone eras..

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4840
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 07:15:27 PM »
The weird thing is that I have vague memories of my childhood.  I remember watching Denver the Last Dinosaur a lot.  Real Ghostbusters, too, and at one point Gummi Bears.

Soguru

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 02:11:05 AM »
I liked Pole Position a lot of those Supercade cartoons. I also remember LOVING Dragon's Lair and Space Ace when I caught them.

Adored Dungeons and Dragons when it was on. It and Thundarr are the only ones (besides Looney Tunes) I have on DVD.
I barely remember the Dragon's Lair and Space Ace cartoons. Is there any chance they were censored because of the rather curvaceous female leads?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 07:14:37 AM »
Oh yeah. Daphne and Kimmy were given more conservative wardrobes.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:19:04 AM by Pak-Man »

Soguru

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
Oh yeah. Daphne and Kimmy were given more conservative wardrobes.
Dammit! Dammit! I mean... erm... GOOD! Because hooray for feminism... or something.