Author Topic: Come See Me at Salt Lake Comic Con 2014!  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
Re: Come See Me at Salt Lake Comic Con 2014!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 08:43:15 PM »
Kete came by. I didn't recognize him and he actually said "Applesauce." It was one of the most fun moments of the whole con.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »
Kete came by. I didn't recognize him and he actually said "Applesauce." It was one of the most fun moments of the whole con.

I can vouch for this story.

It was great to see you! You were very nice, and I think your work is great.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »
My sister (who won 2nd place at the costume contest) were there was there when he showed up, too. When I asked Kete how I could help him he said "Applesauce" and I was like "Oh man, somebody actually did it!" And Renee is all "Wait, what's happening? Was that some kind of code?" It was pretty funny.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 11:02:45 AM »
My sister (who won 2nd place at the costume contest) were there was there when he showed up, too. When I asked Kete how I could help him he said "Applesauce" and I was like "Oh man, somebody actually did it!" And Renee is all "Wait, what's happening? Was that some kind of code?" It was pretty funny.

Hopefully they knew who you were and didn't just think that you were Jeffrey Tambor. 

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1007
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
Apparently SLCCC managed to fit 100k people in a center that really only allows 80k.  Nice work.  (And maybe you should start thinking of relocating it to a larger venue. How about this- Las Vegas presents Salt Lake City Comic Con.)

Late addition: I saw a blogger note that population-wise, about 4% of the state of Utah was at the con.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:59:37 PM by Compound »

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »
Apparently SLCCC managed to fit 100k people in a center that really only allows 80k.  Nice work.  (And maybe you should start thinking of relocating it to a larger venue. How about this- Las Vegas presents Salt Lake City Comic Con.)

Late addition: I saw a blogger note that population-wise, about 4% of the state of Utah was at the con.

Oh, hardy har. :P Thursday was notoriously ill-handled. They had 4 people at the registration booths for an event that they knew was gonna have 100,000 people attending. People stood in line anywhere from 3 - 8 hours. Like for realsy. People were super pissed.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »
Yeah, Thursday sucked. If they mailed out or had you pick up arm bands in advance, it would help a lot. Inside it was full, but not horrible.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3081
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 03:31:08 PM »
Got my Dalek robe from Kete, comfy.....

Exterminate!
Fire Phasers!
May the force be with you!
Phillies suck!

;D

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 04:09:16 PM »
Yeah, Thursday sucked. If they mailed out or had you pick up arm bands in advance, it would help a lot. Inside it was full, but not horrible.

!!  No advanced mail outs? Wow.  I went to Dragon Con once.  Bought tickets in advance. Got ID Lanyards in advance.  Went to Atlanta. Found the place.  Was just getting in the 5 mile long line, when a volunteer noticed us: "Advanced purchase? You don't need to be in line, follow me, please."
ONLY way to go.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 12:06:44 PM »
So my friend's charity was the feature charity of Salt Lake comic con.  A VIP party was held with the proceeds going to the organization.  This article even ran in the local news:

This weekend, Salt Lake Comic Con became a superhero to children in need.
The comic convention donated all of the proceeds from a 5k run — held in June — and its red carpet party Saturday night to Millie’s Princess Foundation, a Utah-based charity that helps families struggling financially while their children fight cancer.
Bryan Brandenburg, Salt Lake Comic Con co-founder and its chief marketing officer, estimates the total from both events at somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000.
"It’s an easy decision" to donate all of the proceeds, Brandenburg said. "We’re successful and they’re a great cause."
The foundation all started with Millie Flamm, a young girl from Sandy who spent nearly half her short life fighting leukemia. If her name sounds familiar, she was the 7-year-old girl who Justin Beiber visited at a Salt Lake County hospital last year after Millie’s family made contact through social media.
Though Millie eventually died, her family continues to raise money for others going through a similar struggle.
The foundation partners with Anything Can Be, a photography project by Jon Diaz, who photographs children who are sick with cancer and digitally places them into whatever fantasy role and world they wish for. He’s transposed children into the worlds of "Alice in Wonderland,"superheroes, fairies and more. "Ten thousand dollars would make the dreams of a lot of kids come true," Diaz said. That kind of money would help pay for the production of the photos and a book that he hopes to compile and sell as another way to raise money for struggling families.
Stars attending the convention echoed that spirit of charity, including Manu Bennett. On Thursday morning, the villain of the CW’s "Arrow" — who is also Azog in "The Hobbit" movie trilogy — pledged to give the first $1,000 he makes at the convention to another local family with a child fighting cancer. Bennett then challenged other celebrities attending the three-day event at downtown Salt Lake City’s Salt Palace Convention Center to make similar donations.
Jason David Frank, best known for his tenure on "Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers," accepted Bennett’s call. Legions of devoted fans drawn to the convention were also chipping in.
As of about noon Sunday, tickets to Salt Lake Comic Con had sold out, placing attendance between 120,000 and 130,000 people.

They were just told the total that they would be receiving..........$1,000.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
 :angry:   Insane!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3081
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 02:30:20 PM »
Unfortunately the term "proceeds" is vague, it can mean gross or net.  It pretty much always means net after costs, and since costs can be adjusted by people paying themselves what ever salary they want, there is often little given to the charity even when they say "all the proceeds go to ________".

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »
Look, I'm not a Occupy Wall Street type by any means. In fact, I'm probably more right-of-center, pro-captialism than MOST on this board. I don't begrudge people making money, or even A LOT of money. But in this case, I think the SLCC has no business withholding earnings from their sponsors or other debtors because of the way the event was run. They made A LOT of money SCREWING UP! Almost everything went wrong, but they still cashed in like no other. So for them not to pony up really rubs me the wrong way.