login

Author Topic: Star Trek 3 with (without Spoooock) The Shat??  (Read 16861 times)

Soguru

Re: Star Trek 3 with Spoooock and The Shat??
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 03:35:26 PM »
Abrams is not returning.  Roberto Orci is writing and directing this one.  Kurtzman is not going to be a part of it.  I agree though, these guys are terribly lazy writers, and for someone who is supposedly a "Star Trek purist" how did the Kobyashi Maru test get completely misunderstood?  It seems like they want to go back to the time travel well AGAIN, so I think the creativity in this Star Trek universe is gone.  I expect another mish-mash of random classic Star Trek moments lazily pasted together.
Paramount needs a reality check.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
As long as they are making money, they dont give a shit.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2529
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 09:02:03 PM »

Yup, Star Trek is no more, there doesn't seem to be anyone left to make it have any meaning, it's just mission impossible in space now.

Only thing that might make me watch any of these movies would be if they time traveled back and fixed the timeline so Vulcan doesn't get destroyed.  Closest I've come to these is listening to the Treknologic review of the first one, and that confirmed to me that Star Trek is dead.

As for trotting out Shatner, gimmick casting isn't going to get me to watch.

Soguru

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 12:35:21 AM »

Yup, Star Trek is no more, there doesn't seem to be anyone left to make it have any meaning, it's just mission impossible in space now.
I wouldn't go that far. The TNG movies were just awful(Except maybe First Contact) and Enterprise was the absolute lowest point for all of Trek. I don't care how much someone hates the new movies, they're still a huge step up from where Trek was before.

I'm even just going to come out and say it, I'd rather see the franchise in the hands of Kurtzman and Orci than Berman and Braga.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 05:30:36 AM »
I don't care how much someone hates the new movies, they're still a huge step up from where Trek was before.

I'm even just going to come out and say it, I'd rather see the franchise in the hands of Kurtzman and Orci than Berman and Braga.

I completely disagree with you there.  Enterprise season 4 had some great episodes.  At least they try new things and different directions.  Unlike Orci/Kurtzman, in the 09 movie Nero is a bad copy of Shinzon and the movie is held together by improbable coincidences and STD is a bad rehash of of WoK.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 05:38:26 AM »
And while I'm glad the writers are fans of Trek, but rather than writing what amounts to fanfiction, how about writing NEW stories?!

Abrams had his chance. He blew it.

Now, in regards to this little rumour, I can't deny it brings out my shameless inner Trekkie. I've always thought it would be incredibly badass if Shatner showed up as the evil "Mirror-Kirk" seen in the TOS episode MIRROR MIRROR and act as the third movie's antagonist. There's a series of "Shatnerverse" novels that explored the concept  of Mirror-Kirk (labelled Tiberius) threatening the resurrected Prime-Kirk. I'd love to see Orci make some kind of loose adaptation of that story arc, with Shatner's Mirror-Kirk returning to terrorize the Abrams version of the crew.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5544
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 05:41:23 AM »
And while I'm glad the writers are fans of Trek, but rather than writing what amounts to fanfiction, how about writing NEW stories?!

Abrams had his chance. He blew it.

Now, in regards to this little rumour, I can't deny it brings out my shameless inner Trekkie. I've always thought it would be incredibly badass if Shatner showed up as the evil "Mirror-Kirk" seen in the TOS episode MIRROR MIRROR and act as the third movie's antagonist. There's a series of "Shatnerverse" novels that explored the concept  of Mirror-Kirk (labelled Tiberius) threatening the resurrected Prime-Kirk. I'd love to see Orci make some kind of loose adaptation of that story arc, with Shatner's Mirror-Kirk returning to terrorize the Abrams version of the crew.
You really think SHATNER of all people is going to intimidate anyone?! Young Shatner could barely do that, there's no fucking way anybody does anything but laugh at old fat Shatner.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 05:44:49 AM »
Your confusing Shatner with Kirk.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 05:48:59 AM »
Your confusing Shatner with Kirk.
No, I'm confusing bok choy with cabbage.

SHATNER, the actor, doesn't have the capability (especially at his age and weight) to threaten a field mouse. You put him on screen and everyone is just going to laugh at him if he tries to act initmidating. Regardless of what "character" he is trying to play.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 05:56:40 AM »
I agree with you about Shatner today but not about Kirk in his prime.  Kirk in his Prime could do anything, from bullshitting a vastly technological being to convincing a robotic death machine to commit suicide and show superior to a genetically engineered superman.

Ben

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 06:03:38 AM »
SHATNER, the actor, doesn't have the capability (especially at his age and weight) to threaten a field mouse. You put him on screen and everyone is just going to laugh at him if he tries to act initmidating. Regardless of what "character" he is trying to play.

You should see THE INTRUDER, if you haven't already. (Or, if you're in the mood for some raw '70's cheese, IMPULSE.) Shatner can be one creepy weirdo if a director knows how to channel his quirky screen presence.

Anyway, I actually pictured the Abrams-crew displaying the exact same open mockery towards this old, fat clown within the context of the film. They laugh at him, they lower their defences, and then...BAM, Tiberius suddenly thrusts a blade right into McCoy's belly.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 06:17:19 AM »
if a director knows how

This is the most important part of any great Shatner performance.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 06:20:09 AM »
I think this new Star Trek movie will be Orci's first shot as director.  This could be a total train wreck...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 06:47:42 AM »
I think this new Star Trek movie will be Orci's first shot as director.  This could be a total train wreck...
Yeah, I don't get why they would want to make that kind of gamble with this kind of moneymaker franchise.

Personally, I'd like to see Edgar Wright given a chance to direct a Trek movie.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 07:12:30 AM »
Agreed, Star Trek is a big property for them.  Maybe it is a sign they are ready to abandon this version of Star Trek if it fails?