Author Topic: Star Trek 3 with (without Spoooock) The Shat??  (Read 17552 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2614
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Star Trek 3 with Spoooock and The Shat??
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2014, 08:02:09 AM »
 Just occurred to me that JJ destroying Vulcan was probably the same for him as the the death star blowing up Alderaan.  Vulcan and it's people meant nothing to JJ, but was an unforgivable sin to those of us that have seen every episode of every series.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:52:01 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3142
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2014, 11:56:09 AM »
I have a lot of movies that I love despite a large public saying I'm supposed to hate them. The key is remembering that movie-going is a very personal experience, and the exact set of circumstances that led to you seeing and enjoying/hating a movie are yours and yours alone. I know I have a really hard time hating a movie when I'm on a date with Tyrant, because life is generally groovier with her around. While most of the world forgot about James and the Giant Peach, it ended up being one of my favorite movies ever because I'd had a rough month and it was exactly the movie I needed to see. While most of the world reviles them, I enjoy the latter 2 Star Wars prequels because I saw them for the first time when I was dating, and shortly after marying, Tyrant, so there was a lot of feel-good juice coursing through my blood when I saw them, and watching them takes me back to then.

State of mind is everything when you're seeing a movie. I'm sure if I stumbled on it on TV, or if someone pulled me out of my routine to watch Van Helsing, I'd hate it with the rest of the world. Instead, because I was in just the right frame of mind when I saw it, I find it to be enjoyable. Not GREAT, but not bad by a long shot.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5675
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »
I have a lot of movies that I love despite a large public saying I'm supposed to hate them. The key is remembering that movie-going is a very personal experience, and the exact set of circumstances that led to you seeing and enjoying/hating a movie are yours and yours alone. I know I have a really hard time hating a movie when I'm on a date with Tyrant, because life is generally groovier with her around. While most of the world forgot about James and the Giant Peach, it ended up being one of my favorite movies ever because I'd had a rough month and it was exactly the movie I needed to see. While most of the world reviles them, I enjoy the latter 2 Star Wars prequels because I saw them for the first time when I was dating, and shortly after marying, Tyrant, so there was a lot of feel-good juice coursing through my blood when I saw them, and watching them takes me back to then.

State of mind is everything when you're seeing a movie. I'm sure if I stumbled on it on TV, or if someone pulled me out of my routine to watch Van Helsing, I'd hate it with the rest of the world. Instead, because I was in just the right frame of mind when I saw it, I find it to be enjoyable. Not GREAT, but not bad by a long shot.
So..."I was about to get some." = "Great movie" then. Got it.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g5hgt0xrSbo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g5hgt0xrSbo</a>

OMG! That is me as a kid... how did I ever get laid!
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Ben

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »
Looks like the Shat has hit the fan.

I'm baaaaccckk!!!
— William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) October 7, 2014

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2014, 10:04:31 PM »
Oh shat.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2014, 01:41:05 AM »
I need to ask something of other Trek fans. I'm not trying to argue, but I am rather looking for affirmation and validation. As you know, I loved the last two Trek films, but there's obviously a part of me that's going bat shit crazy wondering why I love those films and everybody else hates them. I feel like I'm the one asshole in a sea of brilliant minds, the one religious nut job on a planet full of rational human beings... or something. I'm just trying to work out in my head why the hell I can't just trust my own opinion and would rather look for an opinion to endorse my own position from someone with a greater mind.

I think they're both great too, trust your opinion.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Ben

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2014, 10:23:22 PM »
Sorry, everyone. False alarm. It turns out Shatner's tweet was actually him talking about returning to L.A. after a weekend in London.

Offline doggans

• Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »
So..."I was about to get some." = "Great movie" then. Got it.

because I was in just the right frame of mind when I saw it, I find it to be enjoyable. Not GREAT

Yay, reading comprehension!

Soguru

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »
So much for the next movie SHATtering my expectations.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3821
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2014, 06:46:38 PM »
http://comicbook.com/2014/12/23/star-trek-3-gets-fast-furious-director-lin/
 :o
Well...they do say he's directed Community and True Detective episodes so at least he's shown range.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Trek & Trekkier: Andoria Drift.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline doggans

• Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2014, 09:55:13 PM »
Honestly, the only works of his I've seen are his Community episodes, so...I hope Star Trek 3 has a lot of paintball.

And hey, last time Community directors took over a major franchise, we got Winter Soldier! This'll be totally the same scenario, right?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3821
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »
I'm picturing the Enterprise drag racing a bird of prey or some shit like that.. ???